PDA

View Full Version : Permagard on my GTC

chris_gilmartin
19-12-2006, 06:27 PM
I have also succumbed to to promises that Permagard...um...promise. Got my GTC done last weekend. I think it may have been the first 348 they have done.

They reckon my car has softer celluose paint (as opposed to the harder paint on 355s) and their process certainly seems to have taken something off the surface as the red is now richer. This photo shows the result.

I'm quite pleased with it and I'll keep you posted about how effective it is, how it wears etc.
CG

Lagerlout
19-12-2006, 07:47 PM
I thought the paint on 348's was Glasurit 2 pack clear over base. Anyone?

Looks good Chris, any more pics closer up of the panels?

WillW
19-12-2006, 10:01 PM
I thought the paint on 348's was Glasurit 2 pack clear over base. Anyone?

Glasurit but just solid paint (not sure if proper english term), so no clearcoat. (of course only in non-metallic) :thumbsup:

360trev
19-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Chris you will love the time Permagard saves you and the finish it gives your car. I am still amazed at this wonder stuff, just jetwash the crap off and shammy dry, your done, just brilliant... especially after all those pointless years of needlessly polishing for hours in my garage :)

One year on now from getting it done I am still really happy with the finish on my 360, just a few weeks ago I had my annual permagard treatment done and it still looks just great!

Will get the pics up here of the reapplication soon!

Trev

pdavison
20-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm tempted to have my GTC done so I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Do you mind me asking how much it was (PM if you would prefer)?

Jonny5
20-12-2006, 10:15 AM
I had my Diablo done and can only echo the above , Mike and the guys at Permagard are top drawer 220 quid iirc

Lagerlout
20-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Glasurit but just solid paint (not sure if proper english term), so no clearcoat. (of course only in non-metallic) :thumbsup:

Thanks, that explained when I clayed my 348 for the first time I got a fair bit of oxidised paint on the bar. Just a bit weird because I had one of my MG's painted with Glasurit back in the early 90's and that was COB.

Also explains why the paint on the 348 is wonderfully flat - no orange peel etc that blights most modern paint finishes, F most likely hand finished these cars. The paint on my M3 CSL was terrible, orange peel everywhere, same as on all BMW's, interesting tho, my 996 has a perfect orange peel free finish and that is definitely COB. Obviously Porsche have a much better spray technique.

Hud
20-12-2006, 10:34 AM
That looks fantastic Chris:thumbsup:

chris_gilmartin
20-12-2006, 10:49 AM
They classified the 348 as a medium 140 with a surcharge of 30 (having done 38000m) and I had the glass done too at 50. That comes to 220 or 258.50 including VAT. Not sure how often they change the prices.

Dropped the car off Friday 9am, picked it up Saturday at 10am. They gave me some bottles of stuff to top up the finish should it need it, fed me coffee, chatted about all sorts of stuff, ran me to and from the station etc. Nice guys too.

There was only one fly in the ointment, on the way over on Saturday morning I called to arrange a pick up and got 'number not in use' for about 10 minutes. Cue panic as I think my beloved motor has been stolen via some elaborate ruse and shipped to some far flung country for conversion into a chicken coop. Turns out they have been having a few issues with the phone line, so if that happens to you, be assured you're not the first!

I don't have any close up photos but will take some at some point. If people are really interested it might also be worth meeting up near a hopepipe somewhere in the new year?
CG

chris_gilmartin
20-12-2006, 10:52 AM
That looks fantastic Chris:thumbsup:

Cheers mate, I like it! :grin:
CG

Lagerlout
20-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Deffo, maybe we should do it at the 348 Exhaust sound off?! I got my sport cats installed but kept the stock exhaust so will be very interesting eh.

David_Yu
19-01-2007, 06:26 PM
I want to get my car Permagard-ed having heard good things about them from Harry and John at evo.

The only bind is getting into Docklands! Do they still not have a franchise in the Home Counties?
I presume you have to return the car to Docklands for the annual treatment?

Jonny5
19-01-2007, 07:16 PM
I want to get my car Permagard-ed having heard good things about them from Harry and John at evo.

The only bind is getting into Docklands! Do they still not have a franchise in the Home Counties?
I presume you have to return the car to Docklands for the annual treatment?

They do have a mobile unit

chris_gilmartin
20-01-2007, 01:05 PM
They also have franchises dotted around - see here http://www.permagard.info/where_to_get_permagard.htm
CG

Brian
06-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Chris you will love the time Permagard saves you and the finish it gives your car. I am still amazed at this wonder stuff, just jetwash the crap off and shammy dry, your done, just brilliant... especially after all those pointless years of needlessly polishing for hours in my garage :)

One year on now from getting it done I am still really happy with the finish on my 360, just a few weeks ago I had my annual permagard treatment done and it still looks just great!

Will get the pics up here of the reapplication soon!

Trev

Have you guys tried the Autoglym Lifeshine yet? I had the Permagard done on my old M3 and had the Lifeshine done on my new 335i and found that the latter outperforms the Permagard both in terms of ease of use as well as finish!
:)

paintshield
06-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Have you guys tried the Autoglym Lifeshine yet? I had the Permagard done on my old M3 and had the Lifeshine done on my new 335i and found that the latter outperforms the Permagard both in terms of ease of use as well as finish!
:)

Going to have to disagree with you here Brian we were in discussions with Permaplate for over a year about bringing the product into the UK and although we decided that we did not want to dilute our core activities so decided to pass, we tested their products extensively against Diamond Brite, Supagard, Guard X Autoglym etc. and tbh we were exceptionally impressed by Permaplates series of products and the likes of their coating product did imho, beat most of the others hands down.

Given the testing we did I would say look seriously at them if you must go the coating route instead of a proffessional detail.:grin:

Cheers

Tom

LazyLobster
06-04-2007, 07:36 PM
just had the annual treatment on the 355, body, glass and cloth top. I'm a very happy bunny and love the ease of use of the product.

Top friendly chaps, Mike and the lads and the cuppa and run to the station is always appreciated.

R :thumbsup:

tonyh
06-04-2007, 07:37 PM
just had the annual treatment on the 355, body, glass and cloth top. I'm a very happy bunny and love the ease of use of the product.

Top friendly chaps, Mike and the lads and the cuppa and run to the station is always appreciated.

R :thumbsup:

any pics pls :huh: :thumbsup:

Al
06-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Just to confirm - all up to and inc 348 were painted in Glasurit 21 line - solid colour topcoat, all after are 54 line - COB (other than the recent water base - but still 2k lacquer - only HS not MS).
Cheers, Al.
(The more vintage stuff was generally PPG or ICI dependant on coachbuilder - the stuff I'm more used to!)

LazyLobster
07-04-2007, 05:21 PM
any pics pls :huh: :thumbsup:

Be out in her on the Monday Tony, so I'll take some snaps. .. :dude:

Jas
07-04-2007, 08:33 PM
I have also succumbed to to promises that Permagard...um...promise. Got my GTC done last weekend. I think it may have been the first 348 they have done.

Nice work :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I reckon it's similar to the A-Glaze I had done on mine last year. http://www.fcars.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6766 I've bumped the thread.

Brian
09-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Going to have to disagree with you here Brian we were in discussions with Permaplate for over a year about bringing the product into the UK and although we decided that we did not want to dilute our core activities so decided to pass, we tested their products extensively against Diamond Brite, Supagard, Guard X Autoglym etc. and tbh we were exceptionally impressed by Permaplates series of products and the likes of their coating product did imho, beat most of the others hands down.

Given the testing we did I would say look seriously at them if you must go the coating route instead of a proffessional detail.:grin:

Cheers

Tom

Would you then suggest a good extensive detail rather than a paint sealant? Bit confused considering that a good detail can cost upto 200 whereas a sealant about 250! Any suggestions as to a good mobile detailing firm serving London?

Fraccie
09-04-2007, 04:44 PM
The sponser of this section has a very good reputation Brian.

paintshield
09-04-2007, 05:07 PM
The sponser of this section has a very good reputation Brian.

I agree with Fraccie I am sure Dave no name will be along shortly to give you the SP. What I can say is that the best looking cars we see are the ones that have been detailed. It depends I guess what you want out of the car:)

Cheers

Tom