PDA

View Full Version : help help and more help

andibrook
01-01-2007, 12:13 PM
happy new year everyone,

im hoping not everyones too hungover this morning and sum1 mite be able to help. last summer i bought, for all my sins, some new, bigger, shinier, chrome wheels for the car, even though everybody said dont do it because theyll be a pain to clean in the winter, and guess what?!?!?! they really are. i went out to look at them this morning and having not cleaned them for a couple of weeks they look really bad. they just look really dirty and no matter how hard i wash them and scrub them down the dirt just isnt shifting. i would use sumthing with a rough surface but i know thats only going to scratch the chrome. has anyone got any ideas? maybe an alcohol based liquid that might just dissolve the dirt. i can send pics if any1 wants to see what im actually talking about.

thanks guys, look forward hearing from you

rizlaneil1000
01-01-2007, 03:29 PM
not had much experience of chrome, but my old man had a bike which wass 99% chromed and he always used Autosol (in a toothpaste sized tube)...

i gues this is slightly abrasive and once you use something like this, it will leave microscopic scratches and the dirt and grime sticks easier the next time, so its a never ending job.

looked great when the polishing was finished mind, but seemed to be a never ending job

andibrook
01-01-2007, 03:52 PM
thanks ill have a go with that. just bought some chrome restorer from halfords, seemed to get alot of it off but not the worst affected areas, gone have a few more goes with that and c how it goes. chrome is a pain in the **** and i dont think ill be getting them again, lol!!!

TESTADAZ
02-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Autoglym is the way to go with elbow grease, but what you doing leaving chrome wheels dirty for 2 weeks in the present salty road conditions?? :cry: I wouldn't mind betting the reason you are having dificulty cleaning them bright is that salt has already started tarnishing the surface.
Always allow 10 mins before putting the car away at night to wipe down the wheels, or they soon won't shine. I practice this habit with the 360 whenever i've been out to keep the brake dust at bay.:thumbsup:

Princess Tone
02-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Autoglym is the way to go with elbow grease, :

What he said :)

SteveP
02-01-2007, 12:11 PM
windolene is best for cleaning chrome

Dave Z
02-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Both the a/g and autosol get my vote , or as was said earlier , a quick wipe down after a drive helps.

andibrook
02-01-2007, 08:35 PM
cheers guys, ive managed to get alot of the dirt off, just gotta keep scrubbing!!!

Ace-T
06-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi there!

Autosol is the best product for cleaning all metalwork. The others just do not compare. Once you have cleaned it though, wipe the surface with WD 40. IIRC chrome has tiny holes that water can get in and start that nasty bubbling process. WD40 will help prevent this (and make it easier to clean the dirt off). You don't need to use Autosol every time, just to get it clean in the first place. After washing, make sure you reapply the WD 40 again though.

Trace (former MG owner and current old school Mini owner!) :)

A308 MAN
06-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Hi there!

Autosol is the best product for cleaning all metalwork. The others just do not compare. Once you have cleaned it though, wipe the surface with WD 40. IIRC chrome has tiny holes that water can get in and start that nasty bubbling process. WD40 will help prevent this (and make it easier to clean the dirt off). You don't need to use Autosol every time, just to get it clean in the first place. After washing, make sure you reapply the WD 40 again though.

Trace (former MG owner and current old school Mini owner!) :)

sorry Ace-T, but i will disagree with the WD40 routine.
WD40 has a place on the garage shelf, but in my opinion, only for penetrant and moisture dispersant duties .... once evaporated, WD leaves an awfully corrosive residue.
(i tried to be gentle as it's your first post .... and "welcome").

If i was blessed with huge amounts of chrome plated metalwork, i would initially clean with Autosol and then protect with a thin film of cheap car wax polish diluted and applied with an atomiser .... buffing up only when wishing to take the car out.

:cheers: d

Ace-T
06-01-2007, 10:38 PM
sorry Ace-T, but i will disagree with the WD40 routine.
WD40 has a place on the garage shelf, but in my opinion, only for penetrant and moisture dispersant duties .... once evaporated, WD leaves an awfully corrosive residue.
(i tried to be gentle as it's your first post .... and "welcome").

If i was blessed with huge amounts of chrome plated metalwork, i would initially clean with Autosol and then protect with a thin film of cheap car wax polish diluted and applied with an atomiser .... buffing up only when wishing to take the car out.

:cheers: d
Hi David

Thanks for being gentle with me ;)

I was skeptical about this too but one of my mates in the local MG club has been doing this for about 20 years on his chrome bumpers on his MG and they look like new.

However if you do not want to take the risk then I guess wheel wax would be a good alternative providing it can be used on chrome or your suggestion David. If you want to spend some cash then I guess you could use carnuba wax too.

Cheers
Trace :)