PDA

View Full Version : Tyre dilemma

pk328
05-12-2005, 07:11 PM
My 328 has developed a slow puncture on the driver's side rear. I have a dilemma as to what to do. Options are:

a) Take it to the local tyre fitter and get the puncture repaired (úpeanuts but risk of some Joe Spanner damaging my sills or alloys)
b) Replace said tyre (Conti SportContact) at Ferrari dealer
c) Replace both rears (they are 50% worn) at cú250 at Ferrari dealer

Maybe I'm being too precious but I'm not too keen on just any old tyre fitter working on my car.

barabus
05-12-2005, 07:14 PM
My 328 has developed a slow puncture on the driver's side rear. I have a dilemma as to what to do. Options are:

a) Take it to the local tyre fitter and get the puncture repaired (£peanuts but risk of some Joe Spanner damaging my sills or alloys)
c) Replace both rears (they are 50% worn) at c£250 at Ferrari dealer

Maybe I'm being too precious but I'm not too keen on just any old tyre fitter working on my car.

Why go to a Ferrari dealer, take the blummin wheels off and take em to a tyre fitter, I wouldn't run a mended tyre on a F so get new tyres and stand there and watch him fit them:thumbsup:

Angelis
05-12-2005, 07:25 PM
a) Take it to the local tyre fitter and get the puncture repaired (úpeanuts but risk of some Joe Spanner damaging my sills or alloys)
c) Replace both rears (they are 50% worn) at cú250 at Ferrari dealer

Most dealers send them to a local tyre fitting place anyway.

I would never let a main dealer do anything with regards to my wheels or tyres.

Stewart 430 Scud
05-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Most dealers send them to a local tyre fitting place anyway.

I would never let a main dealer do anything with regards to my wheels or tyres.

Marcus at Wembly Tyres has never been beaten on cost for Rubber on my F-Cars. Thought this might help.

barabus
05-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Marcus at Wembly Tyres has never been beaten on cost for Rubber on my F-Cars. Thought this might help.

Stew is that Wembley

http://www.247spares.co.uk/carpartsearch/index.php?form=parts_search&vehicle_type=car&make=FERRARI&model=328&search_query=brake%20discs%20328&search_complete=1

Stewart 430 Scud
05-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Stew is that Wembley

http://www.247spares.co.uk/carpartsearch/index.php?form=parts_search&vehicle_type=car&make=FERRARI&model=328&search_query=brake%20discs%20328&search_complete=1

It is so cool having my own spell checker.:grin: :grin:

barabus
05-12-2005, 08:47 PM
It is so cool having my own spell checker.:grin: :grin:

Your very welcome Stew:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

pk328
05-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Another option I'm considering is to switch tyre brands - I think I must have the only 328 running Contis based on what I saw when I went to the FOC Concours, although I don't really have a problem with them.

Problem is, it would mean running different brands front and rear for a while (my fronts are hardly worn).

carl888
06-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Hi Paul,

I suspect in the UK, it's same as Australia, the dealers get the local tyre shop to fit the tyres. Before I had a tyre changer, I used to take the wheels down myself and watch the fitter do the job. I was lucky, and had a shop that was accomodating to my requests, like no jaws in the back of the rims, no weights on the outside of the wheels, no tyre levers etc, but this is uncommon.

I've tested pretty much everything you can buy on 308's so let me know how you drive and I'll make some suggestions. BTW, the Conti you have is an excellent tyre for the street pretty hard to beat really, but there are others. Unless you go to the track, I can't see the point in changing brands. Most people who rave about a certain tyre have come from some worn old piece of junk so anything's going to be better than what came off.

pk328
11-12-2005, 08:40 PM
I got talking to a guy at a party last night who knows a thing or two about older cars and he said that a likely cause of my slow puncture is a corroded alloy. He told me that alloy wheels are notorious for salt corrosion and this breaks the seal with the tyre hence allowing some air to escape. His recommendation was that I first inspect the tyre for any nail damage and if it looks OK then take it to someone who can re-condition the alloy and re-seat the tyre.

Anybody had a similar experience?

Cheers

Paul

stevew
11-12-2005, 09:02 PM
I got talking to a guy at a party last night who knows a thing or two about older cars and he said that a likely cause of my slow puncture is a corroded alloy. He told me that alloy wheels are notorious for salt corrosion and this breaks the seal with the tyre hence allowing some air to escape. His recommendation was that I first inspect the tyre for any nail damage and if it looks OK then take it to someone who can re-condition the alloy and re-seat the tyre.

Anybody had a similar experience?

Cheers

Paul

Yes it does cause problems and it is worth having the wheels checked.