PDA

View Full Version : Fading red paintwork

360boy
09-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Can anyone recommend a solution to the fading of the red paint on my car.
The car is regularly waxed and polished properly using Auto Glym polish.
But after a few weeks, certain areas start looking decidedly pink. Especially some of the plastic parts (mirrors, etc.)
The car looks immaculate after a polish, but does not keep this look for long.
Any ideas please?

ric355
09-12-2005, 02:39 PM
But after a few weeks, certain areas start looking decidedly pink. Especially some of the plastic parts (mirrors, etc.)
Any ideas please?

Do you use a paint cleaner before waxing? Try Zymol HD Cleanse first before waxing. The fading is the paint surface oxidising. You need to remove this 'dead' paint from the surface.

Hazy
09-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Any ideas please?

mine was the same....get Dave Zymol to do the "treatment" for you, its the dogs danglies.... my before and after pics

barabus
09-12-2005, 05:16 PM
mine was the same....get Dave Zymol to do the "treatment" for you, its the dogs danglies.... my before and after pics

Do you tow your caravans with the 355 Hazles???

Hazy
09-12-2005, 05:22 PM
:thumbsup: :D:D:D

glyn o'donnell
09-12-2005, 05:47 PM
hi there 360boy, the fading of the paint is due to oxidisation which your auto glym is not removing simply sealing in so it cannot breathe outwards and tries to feed of the oils in your paint instead, the guys on here are correct it needs a real good zymol with the main stage the lehm klay which will remove the oxidisation. shame i am so far away from you or i could give you a demonstration. dave zymol on here is your best bet or john drake they are both zymol detailers and are a little closer to your part of the country. good luck. keep your eyes open for steve f`s 512m there should be some pics going on here soon, just got it finished this afternoon

barabus
09-12-2005, 05:51 PM
hi there 360boy, the fading of the paint is due to oxidisation which your auto glym is not removing simply sealing in so it cannot breathe outwards and tries to feed of the oils in your paint instead, the guys on here are correct it needs a real good zymol with the main stage the lehm klay which will remove the oxidisation. shame i am so far away from you or i could give you a demonstration. dave zymol on here is your best bet or john drake they are both zymol detailers and are a little closer to your part of the country. good luck. keep your eyes open for steve f`s 512m there should be some pics going on here soon, just got it finished this afternoon

I hope he put some heating in that aircraft hangar of his Glyn:wink3:

Dave Z
10-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Any ideas please?

If the oxidisation is really bad , try HD Cleanse Pro , dont put it on with a pad though , rub quite a lot of it in with the palm of your hand , buff it off , then wax over the top of it

KenC
10-12-2005, 09:02 AM

If the auto glym had been used since new would that have prevented the oxidisation by providing a barrier to the oils in the paint and therefore preventing the locking in effect you describe. The way you describe this locking in effect makes it sound like you are actually worse off for using auto glym as without it the oxidisation would not have fed on the piant as it could breathe out. Is this correct?

glyn o'donnell
10-12-2005, 12:47 PM
yes that is basically correct. as the contaminates on your paintwork need to be removed before you place a coat of wax over them.

KenC
10-12-2005, 02:16 PM
yes that is basically correct. as the contaminates on your paintwork need to be removed before you place a coat of wax over them.

Could you confirm that this means that protecting with auto glym from new would stop the contamination?

glyn o'donnell
11-12-2005, 06:08 PM
hi ken, i would suggest protecting a car from new with a much higher grade of carnauba than autoglym (i.e Zymol) as the level in such products are going to give a much longer lasting shine and protective coat.
yes autoglym would protect but not to the same degree and i would suggest a lot more coats and more regular treatments would help a little but still will not do the same as natural product