PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Leather test results

Dave Z
11-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Hi Chaps,
Over the weekend I've had a go at reconnolising/recolouring the leather seats from my car, here's the results and what i thought of it,

I used the Glyptone Liquid leather colourwash system , I chose their system as i have used their leather feed and clean in the past on very poorley maintained and brittle leather and was pleased with the results.

Here's the before and afters

Dave Z
11-12-2005, 10:59 PM
It came in a kit with the following items :-
1. bottle of leather dye
2. bottle of leather cleaner
3. bottle of leather feed
4. bottle of solvent degreaser/cleaner
5.Scrubbing brush.
6. couple of spray bottle things
7.couple of cloths
8. full detailed instructions

Cost 65

barabus
11-12-2005, 11:09 PM
It came in a kit with the following items :-
1. bottle of leather dye
2. bottle of leather cleaner
3. bottle of leather feed
4. bottle of solvent degreaser/cleaner
5.Scrubbing brush.
6. couple of spray bottle things
7.couple of cloths
8. full detailed instructions

Cost 65

Looks very good Dave:thumbsup:

Dave Z
11-12-2005, 11:13 PM
When i phoned to enquire , they asked me the make and model of the car and they already new the colour , if they cant match it from their files , you can send a sample and they will match it that way.

Following thier instructions firstly I cleaned the seats with the leather cleaner, this in turn also softened the leather.
I then wiped them over with the solvent degreases stuff which removes any grease from the stitching etc.
It then said to apply the dye neat to any bad patches which I did with a brush , instantly you could see a difference , although I did have to apply a couple of coats to the bad areas.
The instructions tell you to then water the dye down and apply lots of thin layers to build up the colour , which I did and you can see the results for yourselves.
I did the like the fact that it does leave the seats looking natural and not like they've just been painted
What impressed me the most was how easy it was to apply and how it left the seats still looking used and in keeping with their age ,but because its so versatile and you can mix it to whatever strength you like, you can achieve a practically new look if you want to.

If anyone's interested but not comfortable with doing it themselves , let me know and I'm more than happy to do it for them:thumbsup:

Dave Z
11-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Looks very good Dave:thumbsup:

It is mate, over the years I've come across loads of bulls**t products so I'm always sceptical when trying out new things , but this stuff really does work

pk328
11-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Dave

Looks great!

Which company did you get the kit from? Also, how long did it take to do the treatment, do you have to leave it 24hrs between coats?

Cheers

Paul

Dave Z
12-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Dave

Looks great!

Which company did you get the kit from? Also, how long did it take to do the treatment, do you have to leave it 24hrs between coats?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,
I got it from
http://www.liquidleather.com/scuffs.htm

All in all it took me about 3 hours , you just have to wait for the coats of dye to dry out , I bought the seat into the house and each coat was dry in about 20 mins (doesn't smell too bad either so no complaints from the breadknife)

Dave

ferrari-spider
12-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Just done my seats this week as well. But used the kit from Woolies, well pleased with the results:thumbsup:

pk328
12-12-2005, 10:55 PM
The guys at Gliptone need a leather sample from me as they are not sure of my leather colour from the photos I sent.

I think its tan but can anyone confirm the official Ferrari name for this colour?

Cheers

Hud
12-12-2005, 11:01 PM
spectacular results.

ric355
12-12-2005, 11:13 PM
The guys at Gliptone need a leather sample from me as they are not sure of my leather colour from the photos I sent.

I think its tan but can anyone confirm the official Ferrari name for this colour?

Cheers

Normal approach is to snip a bit of loose leather from under the seat and send it over.

pk328
12-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Normal approach is to snip a bit of loose leather from under the seat and send it over.

Thing is, I cannot find any loose leather anywhere around the seats.

jtremlett
13-12-2005, 09:36 AM

CheersI'm pretty sure (99.9%) that would be beige (code VM4208, I think...) assuming the picture is reasonably representative of the actual colour. It is annoying that there is a sticker on the cars telling you the paint colour but nothing that tells you about the interior trim.

Jonathan

Red Head
13-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Isn't the interior colour listed in the owner's manual i.e. beige/tan?