PDA

View Full Version : Stained paint

sletti
17-04-2007, 11:22 AM
When my car has been driven for a few months, I seem to get a filmy deposit building up on my rear bumper.

I only really notice it after I have washed the car because whilst washing does not remove it, the water dripping off the recently washed car causes it to streak.

A quick going over with AG Paint Renovator (like very mild T-cut to those who don't know it) cleans it off in no time, and we are back in action, but does anyone else experience this? The rear bumper needs painting, so I'll probably get that done next winter, but is this a poor paint issue? Is there a better polish to prevent the buildup of this deposit?

Here is a picture of before and after a quick wipe with the aforementioned AG product (and some contrast-enhanced smaller pics to exaggerate the problem).

Any thoughts?

Fraccie
17-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Your spelling is getting worse Stigg....:grin:

Edit...that is cheating Stiggster...:thumbsdow

sletti
17-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Your spelling is getting worse Stigg....:grin:
It's a fair cop.:tongue3:

Murph7355
17-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Looks like general road grime me to me. Always worse in winter with salt etc. (which can be a ******* to get off, especially if left on the car for more than 5 nanoseconds. 2nd only to bird **** in fact).

Presumably the paint looks ok once it's cleaned up?

Maybe DZ can help?

sletti
17-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Looks like general road grime me to me. Always worse in winter with salt etc. (which can be a ******* to get off, especially if left on the car for more than 5 nanoseconds. 2nd only to bird **** in fact).

Presumably the paint looks ok once it's cleaned up?

Maybe DZ can help?

It is only ever on the rear bumper and rear of engine lid, and it is not exclusive to winter. It just seems to build up over a few months so I put it down to the exhaust.

As you say, Biscuit-Boy will surely have the skinny.:thumbsup:

Murph7355
17-04-2007, 11:58 AM
I find this sort of stuff does appear elsewhere on the car too, but the rear is by far the worst.

Exhaust grime won't help (perhaps it's dirt mixing with unspent fuel etc?), but the aero' on the car is likely to play a part in the amount of grime hitting the rear/staying stuck to it.

I would guess there will be a lot of people on here who have never experienced this stuff as their garages are very clean, hence the dearth of replies :grin:

rmdferrari
17-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Looks to me like you've "loosed one off" over the back Stiggy.... dirty boy. :tongue3:

There you go.... the correct level has been re-caliberated. :thumbsup:

Angelis
17-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I get the same problem. :thumbsdow

Hud
17-04-2007, 12:32 PM
embarassing, but, you could be Paintshields first contender for rear bumper protection :shocked:

Nico G
17-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Hello Sletti.

A couple of comments on what you have said:

I would suggest that the problem stems from the condition / state of the underlying paint: The first thing I would do would be to clean the car in either a citrus degreaser for example Virosol made by Clover Chemicals and is cheap as chips ~7/gallon (I use this on every detail I do) Then clay the car as this will remove any 'film' which might be on the surface.

You say the problem is worse when water is allowed to dry on the car, Kent, like Sussex has hard water and there's no getting away from that. The two choices you have in this respect are 1. Dry the problem areas completely the instant you have rinsed them to prevent the marks 2. Buy a water filter which will allow you to rinse the car and walk away without fear of these annoying mark appearing as they otherwise always will!

Regarding Autoglym paint renovator, personally I have always found this product to be very difficult to use, especially in comparison to newer products which are out there. By this I mean it'll relatively difficult to remove completely the residue of the product, once it has done it's job. The second issue in my opinion with this product is that it is an abrasive, and as such, imparts zero protection to the paint.

I could recommend several options for cleaning the car initially, cleaning-off this film/residue and also for protective sealants which will smoothen the paint on a micro scale, making the area easy to clean in the future, as the contaminants will be less likely to adhere in the first instance.

As an aside, I'm not comvinced your exhaust is wholly to blame here, as any solid residue from it would be unlikely to be white? Unless it was emulsified oil and I think you'd know if it was!!!

pm me if I can be of any further use...

Nick.

ric355
17-04-2007, 01:14 PM
When my car has been driven for a few months, I seem to get a filmy deposit building up on my rear bumper.

I only really notice it after I have washed the car because whilst washing does not remove it, the water dripping off the recently washed car causes it to streak.

A quick going over with AG Paint Renovator (like very mild T-cut to those who don't know it) cleans it off in no time, and we are back in action, but does anyone else experience this? The rear bumper needs painting, so I'll probably get that done next winter, but is this a poor paint issue? Is there a better polish to prevent the buildup of this deposit?

Here is a picture of before and after a quick wipe with the aforementioned AG product (and some contrast-enhanced smaller pics to exaggerate the problem).

Any thoughts?

I get exhaust soot on my bumpers. However it is literally that - soot - and you can wipe it off with your finger no problem. It doesn't stick to the paint at all.

What I can't quite understand is why washing yours doesn't bringing it off, but letting water run over it afterward does. That doesn't make sense to me. Are you rubbing it hard enough? (missus).

Incidentally I'd buy some Zymol cleaner wax if I were you instead of using an abrasive. You can get it from Halfords off the shelf and it's cheap. I've got some and can say it works for stuff like this. I've also seen the biscuit monster using it on a certain 348 rear bumper for just this job. Light blue liquid in a bottle.

sletti
17-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Hello Sletti.

A couple of comments on what you have said:

I would suggest that the problem stems from the condition / state of the underlying paint: The first thing I would do would be to clean the car in either a citrus degreaser for example Virosol made by Clover Chemicals and is cheap as chips ~7/gallon (I use this on every detail I do) Then clay the car as this will remove any 'film' which might be on the surface.

You say the problem is worse when water is allowed to dry on the car, Kent, like Sussex has hard water and there's no getting away from that. The two choices you have in this respect are 1. Dry the problem areas completely the instant you have rinsed them to prevent the marks 2. Buy a water filter which will allow you to rinse the car and walk away without fear of these annoying mark appearing as they otherwise always will!

Regarding Autoglym paint renovator, personally I have always found this product to be very difficult to use, especially in comparison to newer products which are out there. By this I mean it'll relatively difficult to remove completely the residue of the product, once it has done it's job. The second issue in my opinion with this product is that it is an abrasive, and as such, imparts zero protection to the paint.

I could recommend several options for cleaning the car initially, cleaning-off this film/residue and also for protective sealants which will smoothen the paint on a micro scale, making the area easy to clean in the future, as the contaminants will be less likely to adhere in the first instance.

As an aside, I'm not comvinced your exhaust is wholly to blame here, as any solid residue from it would be unlikely to be white? Unless it was emulsified oil and I think you'd know if it was!!!

pm me if I can be of any further use...

Nick.

The problem is more noticeable on the vertical surfaces, so it must be the running water that is removing some element of the deposit, and drying the paintwork is not the issue. If it was the hardness of the water that was cutting through the grime then surely the simple act of washing the car in hard water would remove the grime.

The Paint Renovator does the job fine and does not seem tricky to remove, however, it does remove a small amount of yellow pigment so I'd prfer to not use it regularly. Perhaps I'll try your Vorosol suggestion.:thumbsup:

sletti
17-04-2007, 02:01 PM
What I can't quite understand is why washing yours doesn't bringing it off, but letting water run over it afterward does. That doesn't make sense to me. Are you rubbing it hard enough? (missus).

Good question, but whilst I don't exactly "baby" my paint, I have always assumed that hard rubbing is a bad thing.

Incidentally I'd buy some Zymol cleaner wax if I were you instead of using an abrasive. You can get it from Halfords off the shelf and it's cheap. I've got some and can say it works for stuff like this. I've also seen the biscuit monster using it on a certain 348 rear bumper for just this job. Light blue liquid in a bottle.

I shall pick some up on my next pilgrammage to Halfwits.:thumbsup:

achaddy
17-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Get the same thing on mine and noticed I get soot on the rear bumper.

Used Maguirs paint cleaner and the streaking all came off a treat.:grin:

Obviously after that I clay barred it. polished it the waxed it. Don't expect to do it for at least another 12 months:thumbsup:

Fraccie
17-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Good question, but whilst I don't exactly "baby" my paint, I have always assumed that hard rubbing is a bad thing.

I shall pick some up on my next pilgrammage to Halfwits.:thumbsup:

Get some blue neons and some wikid rimz whilst youze is in there,innit....:thumbsup:

Al
17-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Just a thought but try cleaning it off with some mild degreaser (a pre-paint wipe or similar) prior to washing the car and see if that makes a difference - it won't remove any paint pigment that way.

SteveP
17-04-2007, 06:28 PM
stig stop bashing one off in the back of the garage:thumbsup: probably the cause

Fraccie
17-04-2007, 06:35 PM
stig stop bashing one off in the back of the garage:thumbsup: probably the cause

I should`nt encourage you Steve, but that is funny....:laugh:

rmdferrari
17-04-2007, 06:42 PM

I should`nt encourage you Steve, but that is funny....:laugh:

My I refer the court to post #7, m'laud. :dude:

The Biggin Hill Onanist strikes again...:grin:

barabus
17-04-2007, 06:48 PM

Any thoughts?

I get the same stig and use HDC to wipe it off followed by your trusty birthday pressie rubbed every which way but loose :laugh: :wink3:

Fraccie
17-04-2007, 06:49 PM
My I refer the court to post #7, m'laud. :dude:

Sorry dude, I had you on my ignore list for a while....:thumbsup:

rmdferrari
17-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Sorry dude, I had you on my ignore list for a while....:thumbsup:

Bollox you did....:laugh:

Fraccie
17-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Bollox you did....:laugh:

OK then, busted....:cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

rmdferrari
17-04-2007, 07:11 PM
OK then, busted....:cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

:bearhug:

SteveP
17-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I get the same stig and use HDC to wipe it off followed by your trusty birthday pressie rubbed every which way but loose :laugh: :wink3:

si, you talking about polish or bashing one off?

Fraccie
17-04-2007, 07:31 PM
si, you talking about polish or bashing one off?

This thread should be renamed Celebrity CS " Its a knockoneout".

rmdferrari
17-04-2007, 07:41 PM
This thread should be renamed Celebrity CS " Its a knockoneout".

PMSL..... :laugh:

Fraccie
17-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Awful attempt I know.....:)

sletti
17-04-2007, 08:25 PM
I dunno, this place. Here I am asking a sensible question about paint cleansing, and all of a sudden I am accused of covering my car in baby gravy.:shocked:

Let me assure that no man-fat has issued forth from the tubular parts of my apparatus in the interest of either cleaning my Modenese materpiece or even making it dirty.

Let that be an end to it.:tongue3:

SteveP
17-04-2007, 08:47 PM
I dunno, this place. Here I am asking a sensible question about paint cleansing, and all of a sudden I am accused of covering my car in baby gravy.:shocked:

Let me assure that no man-fat has issued forth from the tubular parts of my apparatus in the interest of either cleaning my Modenese materpiece or even making it dirty.

lol:laugh: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :grin:

barabus
17-04-2007, 09:55 PM

Look there's no need to get all defensive about bashing one out......................I do it all the time

Nite nite tossers I'm all bashed out:shocked: :shocked:

sweeni
17-04-2007, 10:07 PM
To get back on track girls & boys....:grin:
I had this problem (The dirty back end that is, no I`ll rephrase that, may be I would be better saying the stained rear of my Fezza), after this weekends little run up the Dales and had a real job getting it off. Still not happy and will have to give it another go this weekend when I have more time. Never had it before or on any other car:mad:

SteveP
17-04-2007, 10:20 PM
I had this problem (The dirty back end that is,............. after this weekends little run up the Dales and had a real job getting it off. Still not happy and will have to give it another go this weekend when I have more time.

this post is full of double entendres

Fraccie
17-04-2007, 10:25 PM
My rear end washed off easy after a coat of Zymol Royale had been applied prior to the dirty weekend....:thumbsup:

rmdferrari
17-04-2007, 10:42 PM

:shocked: I spotted that too!!! So, he been up Dale's back end (or sumint like that):mad: Should be ashamed of himself! :grin:

Edit: Dale, would you care to comment?

Dave Z
18-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Stig , it looks to me like a build up of exhaust fumes and dirt.
Its just a thought but it may be that if your paint is a solid one (not clearcoat) the heat generating from the engine and exhausts may be causing the paint to oxidise slightly , making it more receptive to contamination.

I'd definitely go for a degreaser first before you wash it , then clay it , followed by a good cleanse and wax.
Then try just claying the bumper between future washes and coats of wax

sweeni
18-04-2007, 12:47 PM

Dont know what you mean :wink3: