PDA

View Full Version : CS carbon engine parts

Radders
25-04-2007, 09:59 PM
the air boxes on my CS look like they have slightly faded or got a white tint, not sure how carbon reacts to heat but can these be restored to their original look?

tonyh
25-04-2007, 10:04 PM
the air boxes on my CS look like they have slightly faded or got a white tint, not sure how carbon reacts to heat but can these be restored to their original look?

no and it seems to affect all cars. Ferrari UK won't swap parts out under wrrnty either :mad:

Dave Z
26-04-2007, 05:20 AM

Are they laquered at all ?

Murph7355
26-04-2007, 06:50 AM
And have you cleaned them at all? If so, what with?

Carbon will discolour over time. The poorer the wuality, the quicker it'll go.

D8EAN
26-04-2007, 07:29 AM
big thing over on fchat from what i recall reading; some of the pics i've seen are shocking

360trev
14-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Not sure on the factory Ferrari CS Carbon but a lot of CF tends to be clear coat painted to get the ultra glossy shine on top of the resin.

When clear coat is used if it becomes scratched or goes milky white it can be fixed relatively cheap. It is likely that the ageing effect will happen over time no matter what you do to try to preserve it, especially when in direct sun light.

The top layer of damaged resin or clear coat can be fine sanded down and machine buffed (professionally) and if necessary a new clear coat can be re-applied. I say professionally because if you go too deep and go into the carbon you'll damage it and it would look written off!

I once got a scratch on my carbon mirror after some idiot opened their door onto my mirror (while I was sitting in a car parking waiting in the car!). To say I was annoyed is an understatement, some people are so careless!!! I just used a dab of scratch remover on a cloth and it polished right out, even with a keen eye its no longer noticeable.

F1 JOE
14-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Not sure on the factory Ferrari CS Carbon but a lot of CF tends to be clear coat painted to get the ultra glossy shine on top of the resin.

When clear coat is used if it becomes scratched or goes milky white it can be fixed relatively cheap. It is likely that the ageing effect will happen over time no matter what you do to try to preserve it, especially when in direct sun light.

The top layer of damaged resin or clear coat can be fine sanded down and machine buffed (professionally) and if necessary a new clear coat can be re-applied. I say professionally because if you go too deep and go into the carbon you'll damage it and it would look written off!

I once got a scratch on my carbon mirror after some idiot opened their door onto my mirror (while I was sitting in a car parking waiting in the car!). To say I was annoyed is an understatement, some people are so careless!!! I just used a dab of scratch remover on a cloth and it polished right out, even with a keen eye its no longer noticeable.

I think its prone to go milky im afraid :thumbsdow So are you saying sand and re apply clear coat ???:wink3:

ric355
14-06-2007, 05:48 PM
It is my understanding that unless you can remove the clearcoat entirely you won't get rid of it, because it isn't being caused by surface oxidisation.

360trev
14-06-2007, 07:44 PM
This is concerning indeed. What have Ferrari said about the issue other than they wont cover this under warranty?

The clear coat should normally contain UV inhibitors, is this something Ferrari forgot to do perhaps? If the said parts are OK perhaps it might be worth investigating getting the parts clear coat protected BEFORE they go milky through direct sun light in the future?

360trev
14-06-2007, 07:47 PM
3M protection film also has UV protection, maybe this could be applied to stop the oxydisation happening in the first place?

WillW
14-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Interesting that Ferrari don't use better quality resin (epoxy), there are loads of heat and UV resistant epoxy available. (if it's actual epoxy and not clearcoat that gets milky, normally epoxy goes yellow is not UV resistant)

Jules
14-06-2007, 10:26 PM

Mark

you've bought a ****box CS

get a proper one:dude:

ross456
15-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Mark

you've bought a ****box CS

get an orange one:dude:

:thumbsup: