PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Cars With Film

paintshield
04-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi Guys I thought as there are a lot of cars being tracked with film on these days it might be worth an advisory as to how to prepare for an agressive track day at Major race facilities.

Due to the massive amounts of carbon fibre and other debri that gets left behind in the gravel traps from race events when on track days drivers go through the gravel and the car is recovered or is driven out of the gravel (assuming drivability) as well as regular gravel and pebbles amounts of carbon can be brought out onto the track and be thrown up on to the cars following.

Unfortunately there is NOTHING that is carbon proof (which is why general warranties on film EXCLUDE track days). However there IS something that CAN be done.

What we advise clients is to give the film (any Film) a thick coat of vaseline before taking it on the track (and I mean thick).

What this does is that carbon and glass shards that are left on the track will when hitting the film be coated with the vaseline at the moment of impact this will result in blunting the edges of the carbon and will allow the film to treat it like regular debris in order to avoid tearing.

Very HOT water can then be used to rinse the vaseline off.

Also Film should be left to fully cure and harden for 10-14 days before indulging in serious trackday hooning. This is because some films to assist with installs are softer and more pliable when first installed and need a little while to reach their full strength.

Running into the gravel trap however WILL trash ANY Film (although the paint will be pretty safe) we know this from the many race series we are involved with every year some track days as we all know can turn into an unofficial race excercise <cough> and then race rules have to apply (a bit like the way people view tyres I guess) I

f you are going to track every couple of weeks and not take any steps to help the film out then the film should be viewed as a consumable (as it is with the race teams) and occassional replacement WILL be necessary. IF you fall into the regular tracking brigade then tell me and we will look at a volume pricing arrangement to help amortise some of the cost and give you all the assistance we can to ensure you get the best out of your film.

If you have any questions drop me a PM or give me a bell:grin:

Cheers

Tom

trax
04-05-2007, 04:04 PM
To be fair Tom my car got damaged on almost the last lap

I was chasing one of the 360 Challenge cars and large chunks started flying off one of his rear tyres

The front of my car is covered in black rubber

I'm not exactly sure how to get it off - so I guess I'll just leave it till Dave next comes over :)

KenC
04-05-2007, 04:14 PM

I was chasing one of the 360 Challenge cars and large chunks started flying off one of his rear tyres

I'm not exactly sure how to get it off - so I guess I'll just leave it till Dave next comes over :)

I'd try Autoglym tar remover.

paintshield
04-05-2007, 04:17 PM

Dont sweat it we will sort it out when you come over, dave might cry :):laugh: :laugh:

The worst thing is the Carbon we never used to see any issues untill this stuff started to appear in quantity but as with anything if you are aware of it you can deal with it :)

Challenge drivers are too mean to buy decent tyres you see:laugh: :laugh:

Heads for the Bunker:shocked: