PDA

View Full Version : Chip Repair

Nikue
27-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Got a few stone chips on the front bumper. Does anyone know of a chip repair person in the Birmingham area or even a good bodyshop they could recommend.

Juke 360
27-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I had chips away do mine and was completely unimpressed. Get it re-sprayed :thumbsup:

stevew
27-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I had chips away do mine and was completely unimpressed. Get it re-sprayed :thumbsup:

Good advice:thumbsup:

Murph7355
27-05-2007, 05:27 PM
As I appear to like disagreeing with Steve...

A while ago I had a chips away guy sort some nicks on my then other half's MX5. He did a blinding job on them, even removing some dents (caused by acorns or something!).

These places are franchises AIUI. So you're going to get good and bad. All down to the skill of the guy doing it.

Depending on how many stone chips you have, a full respray might be overkill and if you take it to a bunch of muppets, you'll end up with a similar result only for the whole bumper!

ric355
27-05-2007, 05:32 PM
I'd get some touch up paint and do it yourself. When it gets really bad get it resprayed.

Carlylove
27-05-2007, 05:55 PM
I have seen Nick Mansell's work on some very high end cars. He is Chips Away Franchise but has been in the trade for years.

Talk to him on 07739 473901

Hope that is useful:wink3:

stevew
27-05-2007, 06:31 PM
As I appear to like disagreeing with Steve...

A while ago I had a chips away guy sort some nicks on my then other half's MX5. He did a blinding job on them, even removing some dents (caused by acorns or something!).

These places are franchises AIUI. So you're going to get good and bad. All down to the skill of the guy doing it.

Depending on how many stone chips you have, a full respray might be overkill and if you take it to a bunch of muppets, you'll end up with a similar result only for the whole bumper!

:laugh: :laugh: I'm beginning to think you enjoy disagreeing with me:tongue3: :laugh:

Actually I would agree with Murph regarding dent removal, some of these guys are pretty damn good:thumbsup: never seen one that has done chips well though.
No matter what system/franchise is used, it is only as good as the person doing the job, there will be some good ones, it's just finding one:thumbsup:

I would tend to follow Ric's advice where chips on bumpers are concerned, touch them up and then get it resprayed when it gets bad:thumbsup:

Al
27-05-2007, 06:55 PM
:laugh: :laugh: I'm beginning to think you enjoy disagreeing with me:tongue3: :laugh:

Actually I would agree with Murph regarding dent removal, some of these guys are pretty damn good:thumbsup: never seen one that has done chips well though.
No matter what system/franchise is used, it is only as good as the person doing the job, there will be some good ones, it's just finding one:thumbsup:

I would tend to follow Ric's advice where chips on bumpers are concerned, touch them up and then get it resprayed when it gets bad:thumbsup:

Totally agree Steve, I've been asked (and I'm sure you have too) many times to paint stuff that can be dealt with by paintless dent removal - which I am rubbish at!
Bottom line is always gonna be whoever you get to do the job, check previous work by them, check their setup and look at stuff they are in the middle of doing - it's much harder to disguise poor workmanship in the middle of a job.:thumbsup:
I've seen excellent work done on paintless dent removal, but I've NEVER seen acceptable work done by mobile touch up firms, just my opinion guys:)
Good luck, Al.

stevew
27-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Totally agree Steve, I've been asked (and I'm sure you have too) many times to paint stuff that can be dealt with by paintless dent removal - which I am rubbish at!
Bottom line is always gonna be whoever you get to do the job, check previous work by them, check their setup and look at stuff they are in the middle of doing - it's much harder to disguise poor workmanship in the middle of a job.:thumbsup:
I've seen excellent work done on paintless dent removal, but I've NEVER seen acceptable work done by mobile touch up firms, just my opinion guys:)
Good luck, Al.

Murph, are your reading, somebody agrees with me:tongue3: :tongue3: :laugh: :laugh:

Fraccie
27-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Murph, are your reading, somebody agrees with me:tongue3: :tongue3: :laugh: :laugh:

I don`t at all.

Murph may think I can`t form my own opinion.....:) :grin: :grin: :grin:

barabus
27-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Why does the undercoat or primer not match the top coat then at least a chip would'nt look so bad :thumbsup:

Murph7355
27-05-2007, 10:57 PM
There are always exceptions to the rule. 2 in one thread if we count post 10 :grin:

silverfox
28-05-2007, 03:12 PM
If you quote your chassis number to Body technics is slough apparently
they will post you a small bottle of touch up free there number is 01753 567220

Get on that phone

Carlylove
28-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Why does the undercoat or primer not match the top coat then at least a chip would'nt look so bad :thumbsup:

Usually a manufacturer will undercoat all their cars in the lightest colour they sell then they can add any colour at a later stage.

Problems of chips seem to be getting worse now white is becoming popular again:thumbsdow

Nikue
30-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Carl tried calling Nick up. Told him he had been recommended and wasnt very interested in giving me a quote or arranging anything. Told me to call someone else up ! If someone is that dis interested in business I am sure I can find someone else. LOL. Thanks anyway Carl much appreciated.

Carlylove
01-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Carl tried calling Nick up. Told him he had been recommended and wasnt very interested in giving me a quote or arranging anything. Told me to call someone else up ! If someone is that dis interested in business I am sure I can find someone else. LOL. Thanks anyway Carl much appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback, I won't mention him to anyone else.