PDA

View Full Version : Marc 599's CS

Dave Z
31-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Heres a few photo's of Marc 599's cs , I did the paint correction on it yesterday , so there is absoloutley no wax whatsoever on this car , just natural shiney paint:smug:

Modificata
31-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Looks like a 360 to me mate!

tonyh
31-05-2007, 08:05 AM
:dude: :dude: :dude:

Al
31-05-2007, 08:05 AM
I don't know what it is (always get mixed up with the moderns:thumbsup: )
But it looks gorgeous Dave:dude:

tonyh
31-05-2007, 08:15 AM
I don't know what it is (always get mixed up with the moderns:thumbsup: )
But it looks gorgeous Dave:dude:

:shocked: CS of course :grin:

stevew
31-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Looks great Dave:thumbsup: amazing what a bit of T cut can do:wink3: :tongue3: :grin:

31-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Heres a few photo's of Marc 599's cs , I did the paint correction on it yesterday , so there is absoloutley no wax whatsoever on this car , just natural shiney paint:smug:

Thanks Dave....Looks great!!! :thumbsup: :dude:

31-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Paintshield being done next Wed...then Dave is coming back to finish it off...:thumbsup:

Nero 575
31-05-2007, 08:47 AM
:thumbsup: Nice work Dave & Marc.....you have very good taste. The most beautiful CS I have seen yet. Pure understated menace and a credit to its first owner for the spec. He must have understood the word Gauche!!:wink3:

Elms
31-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi Marc

Looks okay I suppose

:thumbsup:

31-05-2007, 11:02 AM
:thumbsup: Nice work Dave & Marc.....you have very good taste. The most beautiful CS I have seen yet. Pure understated menace and a credit to its first owner for the spec. He must have understood the word Gauche!!:wink3:

Thanks Simon :thumbsup: :wink3:

31-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi Marc

Looks okay I suppose

:thumbsup:

lol...thanks :thumbsup:

cgt
31-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Looks beautiful but misleading thread title - I was hoping to see a 599!

KenC
31-05-2007, 05:24 PM

It reads "the CS belonging to Marc599" does it not :wink3: :huh:

Modificata
31-05-2007, 06:29 PM

Same mistake I made!:laugh: :laugh:

stevie g
31-05-2007, 07:17 PM
What did you use to do the paint correction, I have a black Leon and have clayed, polished and waxed my heart out but still a little bit unhappy a bit scared to use a polisher but is that the best option. Would appreciate the advice.

Steve

Nico G
01-06-2007, 10:21 AM
You will never get effective defect removal by hand, it is practically impossible to replicate the speed and consistency of a machine polisher by hand. If you don't want to use a polisher, your best bet would be to select a product which has the ability to 'hide' the paint defects which rob you paint of it's finish on account of the defects light-scattering behaviour. The best way forward if you want perfect paint would be to:

1. Employ a Pro to get it right for you and then use proper washing technique and materials to preserve the finish and minimise the risk of introducing marring to the paint (2-bucket method and never use a yellow 'jumbo sponge' or a chamois !! ). Then all you need worry about is keeping the paint good by topping up the protective sacrificial layer, be it a wax product or a polymeric sealant...

2. Buy yourself a Porter cable Random orbital polisher from the states (much more straight forward than you'd think) and get stuck in yourself. You are right to be concerned about attacking it with a rotary polisher, the learning curve is very steep and you risk damaging the paint but a Porter cable is VERY forgiving due to the fact that is is random orbital and as such, the heat build-up is far less than a rotary. It has been said by a very well repected detailer that the only way you can damage a car with a porter cable is to throw it at it !!!

Rotarys are far more effective in the right hands, that said the vast majority of pros would still use a porter cable on every job they do for the final polishing stage, as the random orbital motion means you CANNOT introduce holograms into the paint which a rotary can do, even with VERY fine polishes.

As a general rule, I use Prometheus PS-207C on a Metabo rotary (as does the Ferrari factory) and then finish with Prometheus PS-250 Anti-hologram final polish.

Then all you need to do is pick which protectant you like the finish of the most - In my opinion, the debate will go on forever as to which finish is best out of Carnuba wax and sealant, a matter I put down purely to personal preference, however, it's a fact that you must use a VERY high-end wax to achieve the same durability you get from modern polymeric sealants such as the Zaino range....

Hope that helps!! pm me if you'd like any more pointers!

All the best - Nick.

KenC
01-06-2007, 10:25 AM
1. (2-bucket method and never use a yellow 'jumbo sponge' or a chamois !! ).

Why not use sponge and chamois? What are the alternatives and why are they better?

Nero 575
01-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Why not use sponge and chamois? What are the alternatives and why are they better?

Thats what I (and the Dealer)did and now it looks like Torvell & Dean have dancing on the car:cry3: .................

Nico G
01-06-2007, 11:32 AM
The reason you shouldn't use a jumbo sponge is that the face of it which actually removes the dirt is not very compliant at all. When a car is properly prepared and finished with a quality wax or sealant the paint has a massively increased 'slickness' The slickness you get from Zaino is draw-jopping. A welcome consequence of the slickness is that the soiling finds it much harder to adhere to the paint which means when you actually come to wash it, you really need to apply virtually no pressure at all in order to remove the crud.

Going back to sponges, the face of the sponge as I said is 'hard' and has very little scope to 'absorb' away the dirt you have removed. This means that as you wash, the loosened dirt is being kept in contact with the paint surface and subsequently is dragged all over the panel which means it will introduce micro-scratches which cause marring and swirl marks. The best thing to use would be a very thick-piled micro-fibre faced wash sponge or a washmitt. This means that there is more physical volume available for the loosened dirt to occupy, and less chance it will inflict marks on the paint.

As for the chamois, it is often said that a synthetic chamois was inferior in terms of water absorbing potential and thus drying efficiency, this is without doubt true, but real a chamois dries-out and goes a bit 'crusty' after time.

On the market now, are what's called 'waffle drying towels', these are microfibre towels with a structure which makes the able to absorb huge quantities of water. A 2ft x 3ft towel of decent quality would be capable of drying, for example, a 5-Series beemer easily without being wrung-out once.
Another advantage of them is that they can be washed in a wachine machine again and again without degradation - a chamois leather cannot, it'd be microscopic after one wash!!

The 'two bucket method' means that you have one bucket full of 'clean wash water' with whatever shampoo you like, and another with just water in it. The idea is that you load one of the aformentioned washing impliments with clean water and wash the car. If the car is appreciably dirty at all you will see it on the impliment when you ready to dip it in the bucket again. Instead you rinse the impliment in the second bucket and when it's clean again you reload from the wash bucket containing the shampoo solution. Carry on like this and you notice the level of water go down in the clean bucket and the dirty bucket will begin to overflow... When you have finished, carefully pour away the water from the dirty bucket to reveal all the hard, gritty, crap, you have been re-applying to your car. If you didn't rinse the impliment, all the crap would been suspended in the one bucket you had and some of it would be dragged all over the car.

This is the advise I give to every client whose cars I work on. It the single most effective step an owner can take to preserve the finish imparted by a detailer. And lets face it, detailing services for example paint correction are not something most people would be prepared to shell-out for every six months.

As an aside, I am in a position to supply all of the kit mentioned above, but I won't say what my site is called as I am mindful of being seen to be urinating on Dave's tree!

I would be happy to offer a group buy for CS members on this lot but I don't want to upset the mods so I will await a response.

Finally, @ Dave, if you already supply kit like this to clients for maintainance washes, please accept my apologies.

Thanks one and all - Nick

stevie g
02-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Many thanks for the advice Nick :thumbsup: as you say I will need to just get stuck in with a porter, just gota get one. As for the 2 bucket method I have done this for some while now with a cotton mit, is that good? it seems to do the job OK. Again thanks for the advice I will take you up on the PM once sorted.

Steve

Princess Tone
02-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Beautiful :thumbsup: