PDA

View Full Version : 355 engine bay detailing

marselluswallace
18-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Although the engine bay on my 355 isnt too bad,it is a bit dusty so ive decided to detail it and was wondering what other owners thoughts were on the best way to do it?My prefered way would be auto glym engine cleaner of gunk brushed in and then sprayed off with nothing more than a hosepipe.

Fraccie
18-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Although the engine bay on my 355 isnt too bad,it is a bit dusty so ive decided to detail it and was wondering what other owners thoughts were on the best way to do it?My prefered way would be auto glym engine cleaner of gunk brushed in and then sprayed off with nothing more than a hosepipe.

William (Bill?), DaveZ is the resident polisher and is always helpful on advice like this. Terry is pretty clued up on this sort of thing as well.

Alas,i`m not.

Cheers

Terry
18-06-2007, 08:50 PM
That would not be the way I would do it.

If your engine bay is only dusty, introducing engine cleaner and water is a little too severe IMHO. Water can get everywhere even at low pressure and you could introduce numerous electrical problems. The electrics can be a problem at the best of times.

I use plain old WD40 with a soft wire brush on the ally casings and exhaust etc. I bought a 5 litre container and apply it with a pump spray bottle. It will also clean hoses, hose clamps and painted surfaces when used with a terry cloth. A wipe over the rubber parts in the engine bay with your favourite rubber cleaner (I use Armorall wipes) also helps.

The good thing about WD40 is you can use as much as is necessary and wipe it off. What you cannot get to evaporates unlike water which will sit and promote corrosion.

It is a slow job but better safe than sorry.

marky1
18-06-2007, 10:48 PM
I might be wrong here terry but I always thought that WD40 causes rubber to de-generate?

Terry
19-06-2007, 08:28 AM
I might be wrong here terry but I always thought that WD40 causes rubber to de-generate?

Mark you may be ultimately correct.

The WD40 site states one of the uses (out of 2,000) is to clean rubber hoses. I find it does a reasonable job of cleaning but after the WD evaporates if left over a period of time, the hose looks grey and dryish. It even tends to look that way if you wipe the hose dry after application. That is why I then apply rubber cleaner such as Armorall to restore the finish and protect.

marselluswallace
19-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the tips.Im going to get to work in the next few days and will of course post up some pics of the finished article!

marky1
19-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Terry, I actually don't have a clue but my father told me, when I mentioned about cleaning the engine bay with WD40, "don't get it near any rubber, it will F**K it"!! He's a petroleum engineer and pretty good at this stuff so to edge towards caution I chose to take on board his advice. You just feel it's better to be safe than sorry hey.