PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a new M5?

Friend of Cheeky
03-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Am seriously considering ordering a new M5 and chopping in my 993 C2s. Not sure if this is wise - anyone got the new M5 who'd care to tell us about it?:)

Kam
03-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Hi

I haven't got one but we did go on a drive a few months back and the convoy included a new M5. I have to say it looked and sounded amazing. I've got a 360 and could not keep up with it on the straights. The driver was drifting the rear and seem to be able to control it quite nicely.

If I was only allowed one car for everyday use, the M5 would be top of my list.

There is someone on Pistonheads selling his spot on the waiting list for a June/July slot, I don't think he even wants a premium.

Hud
03-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Am seriously considering ordering a new M5 and chopping in my 993 C2s. Not sure if this is wise - anyone got the new M5 who'd care to tell us about it?:)

Got one with a smaller engine:grin:. Fantastic car, handles a dream would be mental with the proper engine in it. One of the smoothest, most comfortable cars ive been in.

Steve
03-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Took one for a test drive - very disappointing. Quick, no doubt, but too big and heavy. No real point to it.

barabus
03-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Took one for a test drive - very disappointing. Quick, no doubt, but too big and heavy. No real point to it.

......and theres not many people know that :grin: :smile:

KenC
03-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Got one with a smaller engine:grin:. Fantastic car, handles a dream would be mental with the proper engine in it. One of the smoothest, most comfortable cars ive been in.

What engine does your 5 have?

Hud
03-01-2006, 08:19 PM
What engine does your 5 have?

Just a 523 ken - which is the 525 just chipped down. It is very quick given the size of the car and will comfortably cruise at 100+ mph. Slightly sluggish with 4adults but thats no problem as its just usually me.

Friend of Cheeky
04-01-2006, 10:42 AM
That's probably the first real negative thing I've heard about it actually, Steve although it did less well in Car mag's 'Car of the Year' competition than I thought it would. Some friends of mine went on a supercar run to Monaco with a new M5 in the pack and most of them said it stole the show.

Enzo
04-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi

I haven't got one but we did go on a drive a few months back and the convoy included a new M5. I have to say it looked and sounded amazing. I've got a 360 and could not keep up with it on the straights. The driver was drifting the rear and seem to be able to control it quite nicely.

If I was only allowed one car for everyday use, the M5 would be top of my list.

There is someone on Pistonheads selling his spot on the waiting list for a June/July slot, I don't think he even wants a premium.

I was with Kam in the 'countryside blast' which involved the M5, CS, F40 etc amongst others...and we were all surprised at how quick the M5 was...on the straights only the F40 and the CS were with it, but you obviously have to take into consideration all the driving aids/computers it has...giving the driver alot more confidence to hammer it...Once the F40 got its power down it started to 'snake' as the turbos kicked in.

Steve
04-01-2006, 12:51 PM
......and theres not many people know that :grin: :smile:

OK, if you've got oodles of spare dosh, it makes sense, but other than for a few seconds in a straight line, you'd get as much fun out of a 535d.

ric355
04-01-2006, 12:55 PM
OK, if you've got oodles of spare dosh, it makes sense, but other than for a few seconds in a straight line, you'd get as much fun out of a 535d.
For me, it makes more sense to pick up the previous model M5 than the new one. Almost as much power from a useability perspective, and nowhere near the cost.

Ravi 355
05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
For me, it makes more sense to pick up the previous model M5 than the new one. Almost as much power from a useability perspective, and nowhere near the cost.

That does make more sense, if it' an M5 you are after. I have an e60 530i which is a great car for a daily drive. The M5 is seriously quick in a straight line, but I wouldn't spend 70K on a BMW. They have only been around for a while and there are already loads of 6 months old ones for sale at the dealers.

I thinkit would make more sense to go for an Audi RS4.

ric355
05-01-2006, 04:49 PM
That does make more sense, if it' an M5 you are after. I have an e60 530i which is a great car for a daily drive. The M5 is seriously quick in a straight line, but I wouldn't spend 70K on a BMW. They have only been around for a while and there are already loads of 6 months old ones for sale at the dealers.

I thinkit would make more sense to go for an Audi RS4.

Yep, that's definitely an option. Or an RS6 even... I would never spend 70k on a BMW either. Not that I have 70k to spend on one...