PDA

View Full Version : Wheel refurbishing

achaddy
31-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Looks like my challenge wheels could do with a bit of TLC after I removed them from the car over the weekend and gave them a good clean.
Starting to see some corrosion break through in a couple of places on the wheels.:thumbsdow

Anyone have any recommendations on refurb shops?

Dave Z
31-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Looks like my challenge wheels could do with a bit of TLC after I removed them from the car over the weekend and gave them a good clean.
Starting to see some corrosion break through in a couple of places on the wheels.:thumbsdow

Anyone have any recommendations on refurb shops?

I dont know anyone down your way mate but make sure whoever does them, strips them and then paint and laquers them as there are some places that use a paint/laquer mix (usually the mobile ones) and these look **** within a few months

JRS
31-01-2006, 11:43 AM
I have used these guys before with very good results

http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/

Ferraritech
31-01-2006, 12:15 PM
I have used these guys before with very good results

http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/

Second that - had four 17" Merc wheels stripped, diamond cut, painted, laquered, tyres fitted and balanced with new valves for just under 200.00 and they collected and delivered free of charge.:thumbsup:

If you ring them ask for Andrew:wink3: :wink3:

tonyh
31-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Second that - had four 17" Merc wheels stripped, diamond cut, painted, laquered, tyres fitted and balanced with new valves for just under 200.00 and they collected and delivered free of charge.:thumbsup:

that's a stonking deal :thumbsup: Do they do stuff for Mara , Malcolm?

Ferraritech
31-01-2006, 12:43 PM
that's a stonking deal :thumbsup: Do they do stuff for Mara , Malcolm?

Not sure Tony, think they may use their own bodyshop:wink3:

achaddy
31-01-2006, 02:46 PM

I did come across their site while doing my search but thought "Christ they're cheap.:shocked: " but thought do they do a proper job?

Had seen a place in Birmingham who turn over 4 wheels in a day but quoted me 95 a wheel for a set of 4.:huh:

Ferraritech
31-01-2006, 03:43 PM
I did come across their site while doing my search but thought "Christ they're cheap.:shocked: " but thought do they do a proper job?

Had seen a place in Birmingham who turn over 4 wheels in a day but quoted me 95 a wheel for a set of 4.:huh:

Can't see how a company can turn them round that quickly, what with preparation, priming, painting etc. - they need to be oven baked to harden the paintwork.

Wheel refurbishing take between 2-5 days depending on what the repair is, and don't forget they collect and deliver:wink3:

JRS
31-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Can't see how a company can turn them round that quickly, what with preparation, priming, painting etc. - they need to be oven baked to harden the paintwork.

Wheel refurbishing take between 2-5 days depending on what the repair is, and don't forget they collect and deliver:wink3:

They did 4 RS6 wheels for me in 3 day turnaround. Top Job at a good price :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

achaddy
31-01-2006, 05:45 PM
They did 4 RS6 wheels for me in 3 day turnaround. Top Job at a good price :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looks like I might Have to give them a call.

achaddy
31-01-2006, 05:45 PM

jeffqv
31-01-2006, 06:51 PM

be good to hear how you got on, price, turnaround and quality. Looks like I might be heading down the same road.

W100001W
31-01-2006, 08:43 PM
jeff

i was also recommended the wheel refurbishment place near hemel called wheel refurbishing (although their unit is actually BJV engineering or something like that) they only do alloy wheels though - dropped by 456 wheels there today, pick up friday hopefully - so will let you know what they come out like - 183.30 inc vat all four wheels.

Terry
31-01-2006, 10:01 PM
I had mine done at Redditch Shotblasting, http://www.redditchshotblasting.co.uk/

My wheels were quite badly pitted. I think someone in the past must have used some chemical cleaner which disagreed with the magnesium. The wheels had two coats of powder with me spending around six hours per wheel sanding them back for recoating. The end result is very good on the face but still some pitting on the inner rim. A few pictures after the first coat of powder and some of one finished wheel. The powder needed to be sanded flat before the second coat and that was not a job I would like to do again. Cost 55 per wheel plus VAT as the job was done twice.

achaddy
31-01-2006, 11:56 PM
jeff

i was also recommended the wheel refurbishment place near hemel called wheel refurbishing (although their unit is actually BJV engineering or something like that) they only do alloy wheels though - dropped by 456 wheels there today, pick up friday hopefully - so will let you know what they come out like - 183.30 inc vat all four wheels.

That is a really good price as I thought I was looking at best part of 400 for the job. As quoted at other places. Would be really interested in how they turn out.:smile:
Have requested a quote and if all looks good may take them down in the next couple of weeks. Need some axle stands though. Although the misses is a scouser so she could probably put it on bricks for me.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

achaddy
31-01-2006, 11:57 PM
I had mine done at Redditch Shotblasting, http://www.redditchshotblasting.co.uk/

My wheels were quite badly pitted. I think someone in the past must have used some chemical cleaner which disagreed with the magnesium. The wheels had two coats of powder with me spending around six hours per wheel sanding them back for recoating. The end result is very good on the face but still some pitting on the inner rim. A few pictures after the first coat of powder and some of one finished wheel. The powder needed to be sanded flat before the second coat and that was not a job I would like to do again. Cost 55 per wheel plus VAT as the job was done twice.

Result looks good. Just the finish I require.

W100001W
07-02-2006, 08:56 AM
andy - got the wheels back 2 days ago and are now at the garage where the car is waiting for some bits before i get her back in a week - will send some photos when i can - but the results looked great ! so can recommend them.........