PDA

View Full Version : Lister Jaguar Dispute

A308 MAN
03-02-2006, 10:40 AM
John (Tabletcounter) and I discussed this at lime trees recently, as we both know the chap concerned.
John, .... Allen is beginning to gain the upper hand now and it is looks like it will be a positive result for him.
I just thought (for one split second) that some of you may be remotely interested, therefore C & P'd the following text from The Times:

The Times November 08, 2005

Two Jags set millionaires at war
By Joanna Bale
One is a veteran of film and track, the other an imposter. The heated battle over a chassis number

WHEN two fabulously wealthy men go head to head in a legal battle over a fast, expensive car, it is sure to be a high-octane affair.
With a certain amount of pride and a vast amount of money at stake, Allen Lloyd, who made a £32 million fortune from the Lloyds pharmacy empire, is locked in a costly four-year feud with Stefan Svenby, a multimillionaire Swedish businessman, after discovering that their 1959 Lister Jaguar sports cars bear the same chassis number.

Whoever wins will be able to claim that his car starred in the 1961 motor-racing film The Green Helmet and raced at Le Mans in 1963. The loser’s car will be branded an impostor.

The disputed chassis number, BHL126, has already cost the men hundreds of thousands of pounds in legal fees. Unlike a number plate, which can be removed and changed, it is the identification mark that gives the car its authenticity and hence its value.

Mr Lloyd paid more than £120,000 in 1988 for his car and is understandably anxious to protect his investment.

In the High Court in London yesterday, Mr Justice Stanley Burnton expressed his surprise that a row over a number on a car’s chassis could have progressed so far and cost such a fortune in legal fees. As the case opened, he declared: “I’d have thought that two wealthy and intelligent men could have found some other way of settling this dispute.”

Oliver Ticciati, for Mr Lloyd, explained that very large sums depended on which vehicle was ruled to be the rightful bearer of the number.

“A quite extraordinary amount of money turns on who owns this registration mark,” he said. “We are talking about literally hundreds of thousands of pounds in legal costs and the value of the registration. We are dealing with two very wealthy men.”

Mr Lloyd, 57, built up Britain’s second-largest chain of pharmacies after starting with just one shop in Tamworth, Staffordshire, in 1973. A workaholic and an avid collector of Jaguar cars, he made an estimated £32 million when he sold the group in 1997. He now owns property worth millions of pounds, including a Georgian coaching inn in his home town of Atherstone, Warwickshire. Mr Lloyd insists that he has a “better claim” to the number, which is etched on the chassis of his black and gold 1959 “Costin” Lister Jaguar.

He claims that the car is the original — or was reconstructed from the bulk of the original’s parts — after the car was scrapped and retains its identity. The car owned by Mr Svenby, he insists, is a “reconstituted wreck”, a “copy built from a kit of parts” which has no claim to the original chassis number.Mr Svenby, of Malmö, claims that he has evidence that Mr Lloyd’s car was crashed in the early 1960s and remained a wreck for 20 years before being rebuilt, during which its right to bear the number expired.

When they took their competing claims before the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency in May 2001, it temporarily withdrew both men’s right to use the number, declaring it was unable to decide.

Mr Ticciati asked Mr Justice Burnton to make a declaration that he has the better claim to the chassis number and to grant him an injunction preventing Mr Svenby from displaying the number on his Lister Jaguar “Spaceframe” car.

Mr Lloyd claims that his vehicle had the number first and has borne it continuously on its chassis since it was first registered in the 1950s.

Mr Ticciati told the hearing, which is expected to last four days: “The whole idea of a chassis number is to give a car its identity and enable people to see what they are talking about.

“You pay more for the car if you know it has enjoyed that past, and Mr Lloyd is anxious to keep that number if he can because it underlines the fact that it’s the same car that drove at Le Mans.”

The hearing continues.

steve f
03-02-2006, 10:47 AM
pair of sad rich gits

stevew
03-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Mr Svenby, of Malmö, claims that he has evidence that Mr Lloyd’s car was crashed in the early 1960s and remained a wreck for 20 years before being rebuilt, during which its right to bear the number expired.

Looks like Mr. Lloyd's is the rightful owner to me,how can you lose the right to use a chassis number.

Interesting post though Dave,look forward to reading the outcome.

400SPYDER
03-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Mr Ticciati told the hearing, which is expected to last four days:

The hearing continues.

[/COLOR]

That's a long 4 days Dave !!

A308 MAN
03-02-2006, 11:14 AM
If any of you have the opportunity to watch the film "The Green Helmet", I would recommend, you do so.
Apart from the cars involved, there is some excellent 1960(ish) footage from various european circuits, including the mille miglia. Syd James stars as the spanner man.
It has featured on Sky Movies recently.
:cheers:, d

That's a long 4 days Dave !!
you know we don't rush things over here, kev :wink3:

tabletcounter
08-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Let us know if you hear the outcome Dave.

Interesting how someone can claim a chasis number just because they built a car with a few bits that fell off another car

A308 MAN
08-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Let us know if you hear the outcome Dave.

Interesting how someone can claim a chasis number just because they built a car with a few bits that fell off another car
would you dare to cross swords with AJL, John ?

daz355
08-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Why doesn't one of them pay someone to nick the other car and destroy it.Then they would be the rightful owner of the chassis number. :thumbsup:

barabus
08-02-2006, 08:59 PM
If any of you have the opportunity to watch the film "The Green Helmet", I would recommend, you do so.
:

Seen it,:thumbsup: John Wayne was the bolox

A308 MAN
08-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Seen it,:thumbsup: John Wayne was the bolox
go walk the dog !

sloane12
21-02-2011, 09:02 PM
:I am willing to bet my life Mr Svenby is the rightful owner,I just know it.But very few dare to cross AJL,he is like a Rottweiler,he will waste millions just to prove to himself an untruth.This is the man I know and love,true to form.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.