View Full Version : 2006 Spa(Belgium) GP Cancelled

400SPYDER
08-02-2006, 05:30 PM
:cry3: My favourite circuit as well :cry3:

Full story here :-

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=27053

Ferraritech
08-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Shame they couldn't have completed the circuit improvements during "the close "season:thumbsdow

A308 MAN
08-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Shame they couldn't have completed the circuit improvements during "the close "season:thumbsdow
i think the article just mentioned "facilities improvements" .... sounds very 'iffy' to me

never mind, it would have rained throughout anyway.

:cheers:, d

ScarletPimpernel
08-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Earlier today the BBC stated the management company has 'financial problems' that might include bankruptcy. Apparently they approached a 'certain little bloke' with the view to tapping him up for a bit of cash. I believe Mr Bollions asked them what cash was!

They also need to upgrade the pits facilities as there are to be 11 teams this year but only facilities for 10.

SP

daz355
08-02-2006, 06:56 PM
I've just read this on itv-f1.What atotal disaster for the sport.

Elms
08-02-2006, 07:32 PM
A real shame, Spa is one of the last true drivers circuits, and the scene in recent years of some amazing driving in Formula 1.

Who remembers Hakkinen outbreaking and passing Schumacher on the approach to Les Combes with a backmarker between them :thumbsup:

Also Villeneuve crashing on the exit of Le Raidillion at about 160mph, the car was a total wreck but he just hopped out and ran straight back to the pits to hop in the spare :shocked: :thumbsup:

trax
08-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Last year they only sold around 2/3 of the tickets

They company needed financial support from the local government.

That source of financing is no longer available.

Fantastic circuit, but unfortunately holding a GP in Belgium is just not financially viable unless you have a top German driver at a winning team who will bring the crowds over the border
:cry:

Nicola
08-02-2006, 10:16 PM
:(

francisn
08-02-2006, 10:19 PM
It's not the first time the race there has been binned - last time it was over ciggies. I think it will be back:thumbsup:

There are a lot of local politics involved.

rmdferrari
08-02-2006, 10:27 PM
.......unless you have a top German driver at a winning team who will bring the crowds over the border
:cry:

Ferrari and Schumacher spring to mind...? He didn't do too bad last year....!

trax
08-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Ferrari and Schumacher spring to mind...? He didn't do too bad last year....!

Perhaps if your German you need your driver to win every race without any competition
I'm sure had Schumacher been winning last year SPA would have been a financial success

panterasteve
08-02-2006, 11:07 PM
i always looked foward to this one on the grand prix circiut,why the heck do they get paid so much?f1 getting borin at this rate the adverts will be more interestin than the racing:mad: