PDA

View Full Version : Range Rover Sport or Cayenne

Hud
13-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Not getting on that well with the audi cab as the wifes car - missing the chuck the kids in and go of our old ML's.

Quite like both the above - any comments good/bad on the above two choices? Both would be the base models and not wanting to spend more than 45k.

Stewart 430 Scud
13-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Had the RR for a couple of weeks now and can recomend it.

JRS
13-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Had my RR Sport for 8 months and fully recommend it :) :)

steve f
13-03-2006, 07:26 PM
both of them are crap ""THE CAR IN FRONT IS A TOYOTA""

woza
13-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Always a range rover over the cayenne, just my 's worth!

Woza.

Fraccie
13-03-2006, 07:50 PM

Like this.................repost.....i know,but still funny.......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sweeni
13-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Coudnt agree more, for that kind of money you could by a decent motor. Why do people buy these trouser extenders?:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Hazy
13-03-2006, 08:19 PM
not drove a sport but our RR is quite simply superb.

Mind you my missus scrawped the sump guard the other day when one of them cheap Landcruiser thingies got in her way and she drove straight over it :D:D:D

The phrase JAPCRAP was invented for them old tractors, hideous devices:thumbsdow

steve f
13-03-2006, 08:28 PM

Mind you my missus scrawped the sump guard the other day when one of them cheap Landcruiser thingies got in her way and she drove straight over it :D:D:D

The phrase JAPCRAP was invented for them old tractors, hideous devices:thumbsdow
suppose you raced BSA NORTON TRIUMPH bikes then hazy no wonder you never won :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

spidermanUK
13-03-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm not a big fan of the RR Sport, I cancelled my order the day I saw one in the flesh! Stupid tailgate design, not big enough inside, and looks too much like the old model, but I know lots of people who've got them and they love 'em!

The Porsche is supposed to be a great car to drive, much more car-like than most 4x4, but the major drawback is the looks!! Who wants to drive a car that looks like an over-stuffed frog?

Buy her a personal plate, and get her a year old full-size Rangie! Proper car!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hazy
13-03-2006, 08:42 PM
suppose you raced BSA NORTON TRIUMPH bikes then hazy no wonder you never won :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

gonna get the trophies out tomorrow to shut you up :D:D:D

I was quicker round a track on a bike than in a car,much more aggressive. Send Barabus a PM and see what he reckons my riding would have been like having sampled my driving:wink3: :wink3: :wink3:

Hazy
13-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Buy her a personal plate, and get her a year old full-size Rangie! Proper car!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

couldn't agree more.....try F1 ONA.

That won't be much

ted 191
13-03-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm not a big fan of the RR Sport, I cancelled my order the day I saw one in the flesh! Stupid tailgate design, not big enough inside, and looks too much like the old model, but I know lots of people who've got them and they love 'em!

The Porsche is supposed to be a great car to drive, much more car-like than most 4x4, but the major drawback is the looks!! Who wants to drive a car that looks like an over-stuffed frog?

I felt the same when i tried RR sport, so i bought the grown up version:thumbsup:
The ride on a cayane is not much smoother than a 360:thumbsdow

Hud
13-03-2006, 09:06 PM

shes 5ft 1 and feels that the grouse shooters RR is just too big.

spidermanUK
13-03-2006, 09:33 PM
shes 5ft 1 and feels that the grouse shooters RR is just too big.
Then buy her one of these as well!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fraccie
13-03-2006, 09:56 PM

That being the case,then why did we only use Toyota and Isuzu in the middle East and Africa.........................ooops,because they are`nt as expensive or overrated as Range Rovers............silly me,sorry...........:wink3:

Hud
13-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Not a fan of Jap stuff i'm afraid, ignoring the crap about being a ***** extension.

So does anyone rate the porsche?

Fraccie
13-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Not a fan of Jap stuff i'm afraid, ignoring the crap about being a ***** extension.

Don`t fathom why Porsche entered a market that is overloaded,they have no knowledge of and quite frankly,as far as the Cayenne goes, are not very good at.Especially when they are so good in another market.

Without wanting to cause outrage,why are 4x4`s so popular when most of them never get dirty ,even less go off raod.Just curious as to the appeal?

Hud
13-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Don`t fathom why Porsche entered a market that is overloaded,they have no knowledge of and quite frankly,as far as the Cayenne goes, are not very good at.Especially when they are so good in another market.

Without wanting to cause outrage,why are 4x4`s so popular when most of them never get dirty ,even less go off raod.Just curious as to the appeal?

Just driven to french alps and back for a skiing trip. Intend making it a more regular occurence, snow on the mountains was lethal for the rear wheel drive cars - (snow chains a pig to fit). I also visit many of my suppliers who are farmers. We have 2 kids and a big dog. We go camping quite a bit. I enjoy mountain biking. I am considering doing some towing. Have had two 4x4s and regret going back to an impractical saloon car.

Jules
13-03-2006, 10:29 PM

Rob

What does Fiona want?? Ideal opportunity to get some brownie points:thumbsup:

Hud
13-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Rob

she prefers the porsche but the fact that the range rover is newer and looks less dated puts a spin on things.

Jules
13-03-2006, 10:35 PM
she prefers the porsche but the fact that the range rover is newer and looks less dated puts a spin on things.

was she offered any other alternatives?:grin:

Hud
13-03-2006, 10:46 PM
was she offered any other alternatives?:grin:

lexus harrier, x5,x3, new ml.

Dale
13-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Not getting on that well with the audi cab as the wifes car - missing the chuck the kids in and go of our old ML's.

Quite like both the above - any comments good/bad on the above two choices? Both would be the base models and not wanting to spend more than 45k.

RR sport

yellowtr
14-03-2006, 12:20 AM
G55 Amg

Angelis
14-03-2006, 12:23 AM
I voted Porsche.

:thumbsup:

Fraccie
14-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Just driven to french alps and back for a skiing trip. Intend making it a more regular occurence, snow on the mountains was lethal for the rear wheel drive cars - (snow chains a pig to fit). I also visit many of my suppliers who are farmers. We have 2 kids and a big dog. We go camping quite a bit. I enjoy mountain biking. I am considering doing some towing. Have had two 4x4s and regret going back to an impractical saloon car.

Fair comment then chief................enjoy............:smile: ........you cant get bikes in the back of Rangers,from experience.Not enough room!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hazy
14-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Rob

No no no no no. Do NOT give Fiona the shout.

I gave Mand the choice between a brand new Disco and 2nd hand RR given that i had a 30k budget. We both then spent two weeks dithering as she contemplated trim levels/seating arrangements/colour etc etc. She openly admitted giving her the choice made it much harder, and she would rather leave it to me. In the end i just pulled up on the drive in her Range Rover, put a bunch of flowers on the bonnet and said "happy new car". Job done.She was well pleased.

steve f
14-03-2006, 08:03 AM
No no no no no. Do NOT give Fiona the shout.

I gave M6ndx the choice between a brand new Disco and 2nd hand RR given that i had a 30k budget. We both then spent two weeks dithering as she contemplated trim levels/seating arrangements/colour etc etc. She openly admitted giving her the choice made it much harder, and she would rather leave it to me. In the end i just pulled up on the drive in her Range Rover, put a bunch of flowers on the bonnet and said "happy new car". Job done.She was well pleased.
who ??????????????? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nicola
17-03-2006, 02:51 PM
I voted the Cayenne.

I think it looks better (and women are fussy about a car looking nice).

Jules
17-03-2006, 02:55 PM
...........We go camping quite a bit. I enjoy mountain biking. I am considering doing some towing.......

am I missing something here????:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Hud
17-03-2006, 03:00 PM
am I missing something here????:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

yes we dont invite you:grin:

Jules
17-03-2006, 03:03 PM
yes we dont invite you:grin:

Rob, I don't do camping or biking, so I'll look forward to seeing a picture of you either on a bike:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: or towing a caravan:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hud
17-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Rob, I don't do camping or biking, so I'll look forward to seeing a picture of you either on a bike:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: or towing a caravan:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

didnt say towing a caravan - was thinking more along the lines of a trailer...

I had a klein attitude comp mountain bike which i sold in november, and will be choosing my new bike very shortly ready for the summer. Probably go cannondale this time.

Hud
17-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Just spoke to my fleet man... he can get me at least 10% off of a VW ToeRag....

Hazy
17-03-2006, 03:24 PM

they're rubbish dude, drive one:thumbsdow

spidermanUK
17-03-2006, 03:26 PM
I think there's a good reason why!:tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

Jules
17-03-2006, 03:30 PM

I had a klein attitude comp mountain bike which i sold in november, and will be choosing my new bike very shortly ready for the summer. Probably go cannondale this time.:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Hud
17-03-2006, 03:32 PM
they're rubbish dude, drive one:thumbsdow

Joe has one.

JRS
17-03-2006, 03:46 PM

I had a klein attitude comp mountain bike which i sold in november, and will be choosing my new bike very shortly ready for the summer. Probably go cannondale this time.

Here's mine with a real trailer ! RR has no problems towing it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jtremlett
17-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Can't you go more than a fortnight without getting a new car of some description?!!?

Anyhow, why anyone would consider for a millisecond that hideous bloated over-priced Porsche heap is completely beyond me. If you do ever actually plan on going offroad (and if a woman is driving it there's a fair chance, even if it might not have been intentional...) then obviously the RR is the better bet. If the Cayenne thing is still in the frame, then I recommend a visit to the opticians. And if that doesn't work then a damn good slapping should do the trick.

Jonathan

Hud
17-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Can't you go more than a fortnight without getting a new car of some description?!!?

Anyhow, why anyone would consider for a millisecond that hideous bloated over-priced Porsche heap is completely beyond me. If you do ever actually plan on going offroad (and if a woman is driving it there's a fair chance, even if it might not have been intentional...) then obviously the RR is the better bet. If the Cayenne thing is still in the frame, then I recommend a visit to the opticians. And if that doesn't work then a damn good slapping should do the trick.

Jonathan

You need a jump Johnathan:grin:

Jules
17-03-2006, 04:00 PM

Hud
17-03-2006, 04:03 PM

jtremlett
17-03-2006, 04:04 PM
You need a jump Johnathan:grin:You may be right...but still don't get a Cayenne!!! :grin:

Hud
17-03-2006, 04:06 PM
You may be right...but still don't get a Cayenne!!! :grin:

VW toe rag ? Deal is good.

jtremlett
17-03-2006, 04:08 PM
VW toe rag ? Deal is good.Yes, but ask yourself why that might be!!!!

Jules
17-03-2006, 04:10 PM

Hud
17-03-2006, 04:13 PM

Jules
17-03-2006, 04:15 PM

Hud
17-03-2006, 04:17 PM

out post you with this...

sletti
17-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Wot's with the inverted me? This thread seemed to have a narative up till the pictures appeared?

Hud
17-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Wot's with the inverted me? This thread seemed to have a narative up till the pictures appeared?

You are in fact standing on your head. :)

if you were inverted it would be>>>

sletti
17-03-2006, 04:23 PM
You are in fact standing on your head. :)

I am in fact hanging by my feet, and that is not the same. I suggest you employ your considerable Photoshop skills to better simulate the conditions that you wish to represent. :laugh:

Hud
17-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I am in fact hanging by my feet, and that is not the same. I suggest you employ your considerable Photoshop skills to better simulate the conditions that you wish to represent. :laugh:

happy now?:)

sletti
17-03-2006, 04:34 PM
happy now?:)

....beyond the capacity for rational thought!:thumbsup:

You really are a Photoshop god......

isuk
17-03-2006, 04:37 PM
I've got a V6 Cayenne and it's a great car. I looked at the RR Sport but decided against it as the interior is cramped and doesn't look that great and the styling didn't do it for me. The Porsche is better equipped in base spec too. I'd have gone for a Cayenne S but the Company car tax killed it. The Cayenne is also a much better drive than the RR Sport in that it is more agile and car like in its handling. There are also deals to be had on the X5 just now due to it being a run out model. Go for the 3.0D Le Mans special edition and you get the 4.8IS bodkit and wheels combined with good fuel economy and great performance from the recently upgraded engine.

Bear in mind that there is a facelifted Cayenne due out next spring as well as the new X5 which is likely to look like a scaled up X3 :thumbsdow. VW are currently doing a special edition Touareg called the Altitude wehich has a subtle bodykit, privacy glass and 19" alloys. The 2.5Tdi is rubbish to drive but the 3.0 V6 Tdi is a good car at reasonable money. Facelift along the lines of the new Passat is due fairly soon as well.

Hud
17-03-2006, 04:40 PM
I've got a V6 Cayenne and it's a great car. I looked at the RR Sport but decided against it as the interior is cramped and doesn't look that great and the styling didn't do it for me. The Porsche is better equipped in base spec too. I'd have gone for a Cayenne S but the Company car tax killed it. The Cayenne is also a much better drive than the RR Sport in that it is more agile and car like in its handling. There are also deals to be had on the X5 just now due to it being a run out model. Go for the 3.0D Le Mans special edition and you get the 4.8IS bodkit and wheels combined with good fuel economy and great performance from the recently upgraded engine.

Bear in mind that there is a facelifted Cayenne due out next spring as well as the new X5 which is likely to look like a scaled up X3 :thumbsdow. VW are currently doing a special edition Touareg called the Altitude wehich has a subtle bodykit, privacy glass and 19" alloys. The 2.5Tdi is rubbish to drive but the 3.0 V6 Tdi is a good car at reasonable money. Facelift along the lines of the new Passat is due fairly soon as well.

Yes i was offered some good deals on X5's but think the styling is looking dated. Thanks for the info on the VW's.

JRS
17-03-2006, 04:49 PM
I've got a RR Sport Supercharged and it's a great 4 x 4 ( rather than car ). I looked at the Cayenne but decided against it as it as it looks dated now. I also wanted the latest styling and a proper 4 x 4 from the experts. The RR Sport S/C is a much better drive than the Cayenne and it is very agile, great handling and no body roll. All 3 models are worth considering and the T/D has surprising performance.

Just look at the result of the vote :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I am not in any way biased

isuk
17-03-2006, 06:17 PM
13252A proper 4x4 :grin:

JRS
17-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Iain , Check out the vote. :grin: :grin: Porsche should stick to making great sports cars

Hud
17-03-2006, 07:41 PM
sorry james, looking at the pics the Porsche has the edge for me...

spidermanUK
17-03-2006, 08:08 PM
sorry james, looking at the pics the Porsche has the edge for me...
Seriously mate you need a long, hard visit to

isuk
17-03-2006, 09:07 PM
It's fine by me that you all like the RR Sport. I don't follow the heard and prefer something a little more exclusive :grin: Each to their own.

JRS
17-03-2006, 10:11 PM
It's fine by me that you all like the RR Sport. I don't follow the heard and prefer something a little more exclusive :grin: Each to their own.
LOL , dont take it so seriously !!! It's only a Porsche :grin: :grin: :grin:

steve f
17-03-2006, 10:14 PM
why not just buy the best :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JRS
17-03-2006, 10:17 PM
why not just buy the best :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Most folks on here have some class Steve and don't want JAP CR4P :grin:

steve f
17-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Most folks on here have some class Steve and don't want JAP CR4P :grin:
jap crap keeps going when the brit sh it is having the warrenty work done

francisn
17-03-2006, 10:25 PM
13252A proper 4x4 :grin:

Hmmm!!

Strange you only show it from the back :grin:

isuk
17-03-2006, 11:23 PM

Happy to oblige with further shots.

PS I'm not taking it seriously James, honestly. You get used to quips when driving a Cayenne, goes with the Marmite nature of the styling :grin:

francisn
17-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Marmite :grin:

Very apt :wink3:

spidermanUK
18-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Marmite :grin:

Very apt :wink3:
What? You mean they both look like sh*t?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

GrahamS
18-03-2006, 12:35 AM
More like they both leave a bitter aftertaste...

andy74b
18-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Cayenne every time. Depends what you want the car for but the extra weight of cayenne make towing very easy. We had one since they came out and 40k miles later I am still a big fan. Make sure you get one with air suspension as it makes a big difference to ride. You would also be surprised how quick the 4.5S is, great buy 2nd hand at low 30's.

Andy

Fraccie
19-03-2006, 01:27 PM

Porsche advert:

Repost ,but still funny

Ravi 355
21-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Definitely RR for me, I think Cayenes, as technically good as they are, are hideous

Steve
21-03-2006, 11:39 AM
If you're going to do off roading, I'd get a Defender or a short wheel base Toyota. Otherwise I wouldn't bother, because you'll look an ****.

Hud
21-03-2006, 11:40 AM
If you're going to do off roading, I'd get a Defender or a short wheel base Toyota. Otherwise I wouldn't bother, because you'll look an ****.

brothers addicted to those things. hes got a discovery already picking up another defender on thurs.

Hud
22-03-2006, 02:06 PM
maybe the porsche is the better car

http://www.chiswickw4.com/default.asp?section=info&page=conrnli12.htm

jtremlett
22-03-2006, 02:12 PM
maybe the porsche is the better car

http://www.chiswickw4.com/default.asp?section=info&page=conrnli12.htmWhat that tells you is that at least one Range Rover owner is a moron. I will restrain myself from commenting upon any bearing that might have on your potential ownership of such a vehicle :wink3:

Jonathan

PS. I hope you're paying attention to the budget because it has been rumoured that there's going to be a new 4x4 tax...

arthur
22-03-2006, 05:12 PM
What about a VW Tourag. Wasn't it and the Cayenne design together.

The Porka is a horrible looking motor. Saw one at the Hatfield Porka shop with nice bling chrome wheels :thumbsdow it made it look a hundred times worse.

Friend of Cheeky
22-03-2006, 06:10 PM
I think the RR Sport is really fussy at the back . I had one on order and cancelled the day before I was due to pick it up. Have really gone off it.

The Porker is butt ugly but a better drive IMO

But I'd go for a nearly new full Rangie without a doubt:thumbsup:

Hud
20-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Took all your comments on board, Cayenne fitted the budget best in the end.

Vulgar, ugly, brash call me want you want but i needed something i could get the family and dog in, take it up mountains for skiing hols in france and look the part for the job that i do without being over the top.

This was the closest looking one i could find to Fracs add and thought it suited me to a tee :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Nicola
20-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Best choice :)

ric355
20-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Best choice :)

But still ugly! :grin:

F1 JOE
20-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Took all your comments on board, Cayenne fitted the budget best in the end.

Vulgar, ugly, brash call me want you want but i needed something i could get the family and dog in, take it up mountains for skiing hols in france and look the part for the job that i do without being over the top.

This was the closest looking one i could find to Fracs add and thought it suited me to a tee :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Enjoy Rob!!! Nice motor

F328GTS
20-07-2006, 08:09 PM
look the part for the job that i do without being over the top.

Looks a bit over the top for a greengrocer mate. Hope you enjoy it Rob.

Hud
20-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Pulled out of that one.

Deal done on the 's' 4.5ltr version with all whistles and bells. Should collect next week.

20-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Your defo need a tow bar on that to pull the petrol tanker or program sat nav to plot routes via petrol stations:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AndersH
21-07-2006, 03:42 AM
Congrats with the new car :)

the boy
27-07-2006, 12:21 AM
sorry for being a bit late, i just spotted this thread,

i have got both (Cayenne S and Sport HSE) and although i like the Cayenne, the Sport is a better built car. Check all the re-calls have been done on the Pig as mine was at the dealers every month for a year when it was new (3 years old now) also worth noting i paid 56k for mine 3 years ago and when i asked for price against the 360 i just bought they ofered me 22k :thumbsdow

Dave

F328GTS
27-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Got emailed this yesterday..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry Rob. :tongue3:

Hud
27-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Got emailed this yesterday..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry Rob. :tongue3:

Seen it Nige - made me want one more:grin: :grin: :grin: It is so true of me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ended up buying a 4.5ltr Cayenne S - get it on Sat. :)

steve f
27-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Seen it Nige - made me want one more:grin: :grin: :grin: It is so true of me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ended up buying a 4.5ltr Cayenne S - get it on Sat. :)
how much is that a month ???:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hud
27-07-2006, 09:16 AM
how much is that a month ???:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More than a ****y Amazon :wink3: :laugh: :laugh:

steve f
27-07-2006, 09:22 AM
More than a ****y Amazon :wink3: :laugh: :laugh:
well thats obvious as ours is paid for :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hud
27-07-2006, 09:25 AM
well thats obvious as ours is paid for :thumbsup: :thumbsup: