PDA

View Full Version : Petrol spill on my alloys !!

Bromers
08-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Accidently spilt some petrol on my rear alloy (360) - overflow problem, wiped it off and didn't think too much of it until I came to clean the car/wheel. The brake dust has 'bedded' itself into the alloy and everything I have tried to clean it with doesn't work. It basically looks like a dirty alloy all of the time. I assume the petrol took the lacquer off the wheel and has exposed the raw alloy- any ideas if there is anything I can use to get rid of it ? (Tempted to use petrol again to clean it and then re-lacquer it)

Thanks

Rick

Dave Z
09-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Accidently spilt some petrol on my rear alloy (360) - overflow problem, wiped it off and didn't think too much of it until I came to clean the car/wheel. The brake dust has 'bedded' itself into the alloy and everything I have tried to clean it with doesn't work. It basically looks like a dirty alloy all of the time. I assume the petrol took the lacquer off the wheel and has exposed the raw alloy- any ideas if there is anything I can use to get rid of it ? (Tempted to use petrol again to clean it and then re-lacquer it)

Thanks

Rick

Hi Rick,
I'd be very suprised if petrol has taken the laquer of the alloys , do you know if they've been refurbed in the past ? Some wheel refurbers use a mixture of paint and laquer which can be effected if it comes into contact with petrol or acid based wheel cleaners .If you rub your fingers around the rim, it will feel slightly course if its had a cheap refurb
If you do decide to get then refurbed go for a company that strips them completely then paints and laquers seperatly.
Hope this helps

Bromers
10-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Hi Dave,

I'm not sure whether they have been refurbed or not - I'd guess they have as the car is a few years old now. Where the petrol spilt it is now darker due to the brake dust settling in.

Thanks for your help.

Rick