PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Mark Removal / Machine Polisher

Sledge
08-11-2005, 03:13 PM
I acquired a PC random orbital polisher with a variety of different pads.

It is very effective at removing swirl marks and the other paint defects, as well restoring old faded / oxidised paint.

I've been using on a old car for the moment and the difference it makes is outstanding, however a word of warning is to use the mildest polish and pad you can get away with. I expect our expert will back up this advice.

If anyone cleans their own car and wants some info let me know.

Sledge.

maranello
08-11-2005, 11:13 PM
thought that mechanical polishing machines were a no-go .
could easily damage the paint?

Sledge
09-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Unlike a electric drill or rotary buffer, that spins at variable speed on a stationary spindle, a random orbit machine operates by spinning the pad on a center spindle and running this spindle around an eccentric offset.

This greatly reduces the build up of heat, the main cause of paint damage whilst using the a machine polisher.

You can use different pads / polishing product to bring back the appearance of your paintwork.

It is polishing, not waxing, that offers the most improvement in the overall appearance of paint. If you wax over bad paint, it is still bad paint.

When you polish paint that has heavy oxidation, scratches and swirl marks you remove the bad paint to reveal a fresh layer underneath.

Dave Z
09-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Unlike a electric drill or rotary buffer, that spins at variable speed on a stationary spindle, a random orbit machine operates by spinning the pad on a center spindle and running this spindle around an eccentric offset.

This greatly reduces the build up of heat, the main cause of paint damage whilst using the a machine polisher.

You can use different pads / polishing product to bring back the appearance of your paintwork.

It is polishing, not waxing, that offers the most improvement in the overall appearance of paint. If you wax over bad paint, it is still bad paint.

When you polish paint that has heavy oxidation, scratches and swirl marks you remove the bad paint to reveal a fresh layer underneath.

I couldn't have put that better meself sledge ,(although I do use a rotary machine polisher myself) There isn't a problem with using a machine polisher as long as its done right,
Sledge's right for saying use a low grade compound and soft mop head, I'd advise a glossing compound to finish with aswell, especially if you have a solid paint colour.

F1RGY
10-11-2005, 07:56 AM
I couldn't have put that better meself sledge ,(although I do use a rotary machine polisher myself) There isn't a problem with using a machine polisher as long as its done right,
Sledge's right for saying use a low grade compound and soft mop head, I'd advise a glossing compound to finish with aswell, especially if you have a solid paint colour.

Hi Dave do you use a rotary polisher with the Zymol polish (vintage /Royal)? or prior to the Zymol system

RAY

Dave Z
10-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Hi Dave do you use a rotary polisher with the Zymol polish (vintage /Royal)? or prior to the Zymol system

RAY

Hi Ray,
I'll use it before I Zymol , but only if I have to, as you know the Zymol system can sought out most paintwork problems i.e. oxidisation and swirls.
its not advisable to mop any of the Zymol waxes due to the heat created.

steve f
10-11-2005, 09:25 AM

RAY
never use a rotary polisher or buffer on a car as it will always leave swirl marks especially if you use a cutting wax

if this is regaurding your F430 get a profesional to do it its not just like mixing gobbo in a mixer you hairy arsed OLD builder:thumbsup:

hedge
10-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi Ray,
I'll use it before I Zymol , but only if I have to, as you know the Zymol system can sought out most paintwork problems i.e. oxidisation and swirls.
its not advisable to mop any of the Zymol waxes due to the heat created.

Hi Dave,

I gave the 328 the Zymol treatment (clay, HD cleanse twice, ital waxed twice) and while I was astounded by the overall finish, I was somewhat disappointed by the remaining swirl marks which I had high expectations of removing from the research I had done.

Are there any other products you use, and what sort of pressure / cloths do you apply when putting on the HD cleanse?

Thanks,

Marc

Dave Z
10-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi Dave,

I gave the 328 the Zymol treatment (clay, HD cleanse twice, ital waxed twice) and while I was astounded by the overall finish, I was somewhat disappointed by the remaining swirl marks which I had high expectations of removing from the research I had done.

Are there any other products you use, and what sort of pressure / cloths do you apply when putting on the HD cleanse?

Thanks,

Marc

Hi Mark,
I normally use HD pro , apply lots of it it in straight lines with the white pad, rub over it two or 3 times with medium pressure to work in the cleanse covering an area of about 2ft square (dont let it dry out)and buff off with a microfibre, then repeat.
sometimes you dont always get rid of all the swirls though , normally you should get rid of around 95% of them,the last 5% depending on the age or condition of the paint, which is where machine polishing first can come into play. Also lighting can have an effect i.e some synthetic lighting will show up every imperfection in the paint but as soon as you get it into natural light, the paint can look faultless,
I suppose the best way to look at it is that every car on the planet is different ,some cars will come up faultless , some wont, you just have to go at it until you feel you can't improve it any more.
Dave

F1 JOE
10-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi Mark,
I normally use HD pro , apply lots of it it in straight lines with the white pad, rub over it two or 3 times with medium pressure to work in the cleanse covering an area of about 2ft square (dont let it dry out)and buff off with a microfibre, then repeat.
sometimes you dont always get rid of all the swirls though , normally you should get rid of around 95% of them,the last 5% depending on the age or condition of the paint, which is where machine polishing first can come into play. Also lighting can have an effect i.e some synthetic lighting will show up every imperfection in the paint but as soon as you get it into natural light, the paint can look faultless,
I suppose the best way to look at it is that every car on the planet is different ,some cars will come up faultless , some wont, you just have to go at it until you feel you can't improve it any more.
Dave

Dave

When my car in garage under lights looks a bit spiderwebs and outside fine??

Can you sell me some HD and Concours?? Please!!

Dave Z
10-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Dave

I'll give you a shout tomorrow Strad , if I Cant lay my hands on a tub , I'll get John Drake to give you a bell

F1RGY
10-11-2005, 11:40 PM
never use a rotary polisher or buffer on a car as it will always leave swirl marks especially if you use a cutting wax

if this is regaurding your F430 get a profesional to do it its not just like mixing gobbo in a mixer you hairy arsed OLD builder:thumbsup:

I was just fishing ,i have been using and winning with Zymol for a good while now , I know it should always be applied and rubbed off in straight lines So was surprised to read about buffer cos of swirls ect Anyway i have hung up the polishing concours cloths ,tee shirt and all that :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Angelis
10-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Dave

You should be ashamed of yourself. Concours on a Stradale!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Repeat after me:

Must be Vintage zymol
Must be Vintage zymol
Must be Vintage zymol
Must be Vintage zymol
Must be Vintage zymol
Must be Vintage zymol

Believe me the difference afterwards is very noticable.

hedge
11-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Hi Mark,
Dave

thanks Dave, noted for next time!

steve f
11-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Dave

you get spiders webs on the car cos its in the garage all the time have you not heard the saying i will take the car out for a drive and blow the cob webs off it dale err sorry joe :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

F1 JOE
11-11-2005, 05:09 PM
You should be ashamed of yourself. Concours on a Stradale!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Repeat after me:

Must be Vintage zymol
Must be Vintage zymol
Must be Vintage zymol
Must be Vintage zymol
Must be Vintage zymol
Must be Vintage zymol

Believe me the difference afterwards is very noticable.

At 6k it needs to be fanbloodytastic Sy????:wink3: :wink3: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sledge
11-11-2005, 10:45 PM
I think some people are getting confused.

Polishing and waxing are not the same.

Polishing deep cleans the paint. It also removes swirl marks, oxidation, old wax. Polishing creates a uniform gloss shine which is then ready for Zymol waxing or sealing with something like Autoglym Extra Gloss Shine.

You might only polish your car twice a year but you should wax it on a regular basis.

Angelis
11-11-2005, 11:59 PM
At 6k it needs to be fanbloodytastic Sy????:wink3: :wink3: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No....6K is the royale.

Only 150 for the sample pot which is half the size of the 1,500 pot.

That's the one to get.

:thumbsup:

tabletcounter
15-11-2005, 10:28 PM
which is where machine polishing first can come into play.

Dave, what polish do you recommend.

Dave Z
15-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Dave, what polish do you recommend.

If you're going to machine polish your car, you can use either 3M or farecla compounds both are very good,
If you have a metallic or laquered finish use G3 , and if you have a solid finish use G2 then always follow up with a glossing compound as the g2 will flatten/dull the paint finish slightly.Oh and only use a soft pad.
I think if you go to an auto paint supplies you should be able to get everything you need, I'm also led to believe that they also make these polishes for hand application as well (cue rude replies):thumbsup:

tonyspears
24-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Mchine polishing removes a micron of the paint or laquer so you are ok to do it a couple of times.Also it takes alot of practice to use one to get it right its best to get someone who has alot of experience.

Depending on what condition the paintwork is in ,if it is quite bad i start with G3 liquid compound you dont need to spray any water on but be carefull it can get very hot so dont stay in one place for too long.

I then finish off with Finesse on a soft finishing head this is excellent for getting any buffing marks off you have left with G3 and it also leaves a hell of a finish .
I then use the cleaner fluid and wax to get that ultimate finish:thumbsup: