PDA

View Full Version : Zymol Klay

hedge
27-03-2006, 12:22 AM
I have used Zymol before and whilst I was delighted with the overall finish, was disappointed that there were still a few swirl marks.

I did however only do one HD cleanse which as has been noted recently probably was at least one too few. When I did the big job last year (12+ hours) I used a maguires clay bar system first. Was planning on buying the Zymol Klay and lube to use this time but the info. I have read seems that it is more for tarnished paint, which I do not have..should I be using it/will it help remove any remaining swirlage?

Thanks in advance!

Marc

ps this time round I was thinking of:

Zymol auto bathe
Klay
HD * 2
Zymol Ital * 2/3

Sound ok? Will be seriously pissed if there are still swirl marks after all that! I have already invested in everything bar the Klay so no tips on what I should have bought please!

Also, do you guys re-wash between any of the other processes, i.e. after Klay/HD?

hedge
27-03-2006, 12:32 AM
These are the guys I bought everything from, and this is what they say about the Klay:

http://www.premierbodyshops.co.uk/zymol/cleaning/Lehm-Klay_2.htm

"Important: zymol Lehm-Klay 2 is a new revised product from the orginal Lehm Klay Professional product and is designed to provide maximum results with minimum product application, use gently and only for emergency service."

My concern was with the 'emergency service' - what do you think that means? I don't want to apply something unnecessarily which may do more harm than good.

hedge
27-03-2006, 12:37 AM
The microwipes and towells from last time need a wash - do you guys use standard washing tablets, etc. I read somewhere not to use fabric conditioner as it can leave course remnants..true?

Thanks,

Marc:dude:

Iain
27-03-2006, 12:52 AM
The microwipes and towells from last time need a wash - do you guys use standard washing tablets, etc. I read somewhere not to use fabric conditioner as it can leave course remnants..true?

Thanks,
Marc:dude:

I just use std washing powder & you are correct, you musn't use any fabric softener/conditioner.

I.

Simon
27-03-2006, 12:56 AM
Hi Hedge

The Klay bar is very effective at removing tar and other contaminants that don't belong on the paint surface. If you slowly run the back of your hand across a panel you will feel the drag. The Klay bar will leave it smooth as glass.

The Klay bar will not remove the swirl marks. HD cleanse 2-3 will help fill in some of the swirls but to remove them totally you would be best to get a professional to use an abrasive product via a polisher. Please feel free to give me call for any more advise.

ps lube for the Klay bar just use Water and a drop of Zymol Clear.:thumbsup:

Iain
27-03-2006, 01:07 AM
HD cleanse 2-3 will help fill in some of the swirls but to remove them totally you would be best to get a professional to use an abrasive product via a polisher

Just be v. careful who you get to do that if you decide to try it - if the paint on your 328 is anything like mine its pretty soft & it isnt very thick either!

I.

Simon
27-03-2006, 01:34 AM
I use a paint depth gauge, measures the thinkness of the paint in microns. Average car panels can be from 60 - 180 microns. Paint work correction will remove around 1-3 microns. Well worth it for that perfect finish :thumbsup:

Dave Z
27-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Hi Marc,
You'll be fine with the Zymol clay bar and simon's right , use water and a goos squirt of clear as lehm lube.
I wash all my microfibre's with normal washing powder but dont use fabric conditioner.
If you want to get rid of swirls completely , you will have to have the paint machine polished but as si says you should only loose a few microns of paintr if its done by a pro:thumbsup:

hedge
27-03-2006, 10:40 AM
:grin: thanks for all the advice!!! are we all just sad or completely mad? it has to be one of the two!!!:grin: :grin:

andy456M
15-04-2006, 09:40 AM
If you fancy doing it yourself then take a look at this site,
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/
however it is aimed at modern paint, not the soft 1970's stuff on the likes of my car (not sure about modern Ferraris).

I have ordered some non abrasive products from them to try and hide the swirls. I'll let you know how I get on.

hedge
15-04-2006, 09:55 AM
If you fancy doing it yourself then take a look at this site,
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/
however it is aimed at modern paint, not the soft 1970's stuff on the likes of my car (not sure about modern Ferraris).

I have ordered some non abrasive products from them to try and hide the swirls. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks. I have taken the plunge and have someone coming to de-swirlarize the car very soon. Will equally let you know how I get on :)

hedge
17-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Just be v. careful who you get to do that if you decide to try it - if the paint on your 328 is anything like mine its pretty soft & it isnt very thick either!

I.

Apparently the paint (original) was a lot harder than expected! Took several hours of random orbitting.