PDA

View Full Version : 308/328 coolant drain kit

A308 MAN
02-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Fitted a coolant drain/flush kit recently.
A drain cock is fitted just before the heater hose hits the main hose to the the top of the radiator. (pic 1)
This allows me to drain the coolant without it slopping all over the garage floor.
An old exp. tank cap was drilled out to take a threaded hose connector (pic 2) .... fit the modified cap with a hose leading to a drain (filter it if you wish to inspect the residue).... connect your garden hose to the drain cock, open the cock, close the heater valve (for 50% of the excercise, timewise), turn on the hose pipe and light up a monte cristo number three.
Apologies for pic quality.
:cheers:, d
ps ..... ensure all the tap water is drained from the block (via petcock) before refilling with de-ionised water/coolant mixture.

Iain
02-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Nice one David, very "inventive" ! :thumbsup:

I.

barabus
02-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Fitted a coolant drain/flush kit recently.
A drain cock is fitted just before the heater hose hits the main hose to the the top of the radiator. (pic 1)
This allows me to drain the coolant without it slopping all over the garage floor.
An old exp. tank cap was drilled out to take a threaded hose connector (pic 2) .... fit the modified cap with a hose leading to a drain (filter it if you wish to inspect the residue).... connect your garden hose to the drain cock, open the cock, close the heater valve (for 50% of the excercise, timewise), turn on the hose pipe and light up a monte cristo number three.
Apologies for pic quality.
ps ..... ensure all the tap water is drained from the block (via petcock) before refilling with de-ionised water/coolant mixture.

I would but I don't smoke :wink3: :wink3: :wink3:

steve f
02-04-2006, 09:26 PM
If it needed one ferrari would of fitted one people who mess and add bolt on crap really annoy me :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Iain
02-04-2006, 10:51 PM
If it needed one ferrari would of fitted one people who mess and add bolt on crap really annoy me :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Blimey - Mr Grumpy's in town! :grin:

The issue (if you want to go the "purist" route) is whether any modifications are easily reversed & what Dave has done is so I can't see the harm.

Having said that, at the end of the day its just a car & its David's car at that - he can do what he likes to it & if that's the extent of his modification/meddling well, his car should think itself lucky!

Besides all that, having done a coolant change last year on a 328 I can definitly say that if Ferrari had even had the common decency to put a spiggot on the radiator drain plug where a hose could be attached it would have made life significantly easier and less messy - and as to the messing about you have to go through to drain the rest of the system/flush it, lets not even go there.....

Its about the least friendly piece of automotive system design I can think of right now (possibly only surpassed by the crap you need to go through to chage the cambelt on a Passat/Audi A4.)

I.

Dale
03-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Blimey - Mr Grumpy's in town! :grin:

The issue (if you want to go the "purist" route) is whether any modifications are easily reversed & what Dave has done is so I can't see the harm.

Having said that, at the end of the day its just a car & its David's car at that - he can do what he likes to it & if that's the extent of his modification/meddling well, his car should think itself lucky!

Besides all that, having done a coolant change last year on a 328 I can definitly say that if Ferrari had even had the common decency to put a spiggot on the radiator drain plug where a hose could be attached it would have made life significantly easier and less messy - and as to the messing about you have to go through to drain the rest of the system/flush it, lets not even go there.....

Its about the least friendly piece of automotive system design I can think of right now (possibly only surpassed by the crap you need to go through to chage the cambelt on a Passat/Audi A4.)

I.

try a renault espace v6 or 2.2 diesel espace they take twice as long as any ferrari belt to change,a4 belts arnt difficult just tilt the grill forward.

A308 MAN
03-04-2006, 03:22 PM
is it 'cos you're too stupid to engineer any kind of modification, or has lyn had a headache since returning from center parcs ?

so a 512M should'nt need a ****s, austrian foc exhaust then ?

steve f
03-04-2006, 03:24 PM
is it 'cos you're too stupid to engineer any kind of modification, or has lyn had a headache since returning from center parcs ?

so a 512M should'nt need a ****s, austrian foc exhaust then ?

I am not a FOC member here never mind in austria :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

barabus
03-04-2006, 03:27 PM
I am not a FOC member here never mind in austria :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good answer, tight git:wink3: :wink3: :wink3:

stevew
03-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Nice mod Dave,just reminded me that I need to flush out the central heating at home:grin:

Steve King
07-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Nice I did my this way.