PDA

View Full Version : Engine Wash, need advice!

Gimme Fuel
16-04-2006, 04:59 PM
:cheers: m8's
I was thinking of giving my 348 an engine wash, but I'll need a couple of advices before I jump into action....:thumbsup:

1. Is there any parts I need to cover up before I wash the engine??
(if YES, please post a pic of the 348 engine with circles around the parts I need to cover, just in case I dont know what part you're refering to)

2.Is it a good idea of letting the engine run while I wash it?? (cold engine)

3.I do have a bottle of "degreasing" liquid, which losen up some of the dirt/stains, is it OK to use this stuff??

4.I should wash the engine with: a regular garden hose OR 120 bar Karcher preasure steamer?? (from a distance of course)

Please let me know!
Thanx:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Iain
16-04-2006, 05:58 PM
:cheers: m8's
I was thinking of giving my 348 an engine wash, but I'll need a couple of advices before I jump into action....:thumbsup:

1. Is there any parts I need to cover up before I wash the engine??
(if YES, please post a pic of the 348 engine with circles around the parts I need to cover, just in case I dont know what part you're refering to)

2.Is it a good idea of letting the engine run while I wash it?? (cold engine)

3.I do have a bottle of "degreasing" liquid, which losen up some of the dirt/stains, is it OK to use this stuff??

4.I should wash the engine with: a regular garden hose OR 120 bar Karcher preasure steamer?? (from a distance of course)

Please let me know!
Thanx:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I washed a lot of the engine on my 328 last summer & used a jet wash to do it

In answer to your questions

1) I covered up the ignition coils & anything else that looked electrical & exposed. Also avoid washing too much round the belts & alternator & also round the cambelts. Use plastic bags, elastic bands & food wrap/cling film to keep the worst of the water out of sensitive areas.

2) I wouldn't do it to a hot engine - you could crack something. I did mine cold & then also used a garden leaf blower to dry the worst of it off. Then I started it & let it run for a while to dry itself off. There might be some sense in doing it to a warm engine but I'd want to be able to put my hand on the exhaust header - no hotter than that.

3) I used a degreaser spray - the lower half of my engine had a lot of oil from a camshaft oil seal that had leaked. I cleaned it up after the seal had been fixed. Again, keep it away from belts

4) I used a jet washer because it allows to to target what you wash pretty carefully & only use short bursts. You probably use less water to greater effect if you do this rather than just turning a hose on the thing. I'm not sure I'd use a steam cleaner - just a cold jet wash should do.

My engine is no concourse looking thing but its basically clean & oil free - makes it a lot nicer to work on! I had no problems & it started and ran straight away. I'd also take the thing for a 10 mile run once you are done to make sure it is all dried out properly - get it really nice & warm.

I.

Gimme Fuel
16-04-2006, 06:24 PM
I washed a lot of the engine on my 328 last summer & used a jet wash to do it

In answer to your questions

1) I covered up the ignition coils & anything else that looked electrical & exposed. Also avoid washing too much round the belts & alternator & also round the cambelts. Use plastic bags, elastic bands & food wrap/cling film to keep the worst of the water out of sensitive areas.

2) I wouldn't do it to a hot engine - you could crack something. I did mine cold & then also used a garden leaf blower to dry the worst of it off. Then I started it & let it run for a while to dry itself off. There might be some sense in doing it to a warm engine but I'd want to be able to put my hand on the exhaust header - no hotter than that.

3) I used a degreaser spray - the lower half of my engine had a lot of oil from a camshaft oil seal that had leaked. I cleaned it up after the seal had been fixed. Again, keep it away from belts

4) I used a jet washer because it allows to to target what you wash pretty carefully & only use short bursts. You probably use less water to greater effect if you do this rather than just turning a hose on the thing. I'm not sure I'd use a steam cleaner - just a cold jet wash should do.

My engine is no concourse looking thing but its basically clean & oil free - makes it a lot nicer to work on! I had no problems & it started and ran straight away. I'd also take the thing for a 10 mile run once you are done to make sure it is all dried out properly - get it really nice & warm.

I.
Thanx a lot Iain :thumbsup:
I'll follow your tips when I'm washing my car!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Paul!