PDA

View Full Version : Mark Bright on the green stuff

beau_apex
29-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Ex-Charlton football star Mark Bright completed his own personal double when he claimed victory in the London Golf Show Premiership Masters Skills Challenge yesterday.
Bright had his first taste of success last month when he led his Charlton side to first place in the inaugural LGS Premiership Masters at The Oxfordshire Golf Club.
And the BBC presenter had little trouble in adding to his silverware by beating his three rivals including former Liverpool goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar, whose team finished runners-up last month.
Bright, a seven-handicapper, holed a three-foot putt on the SouthWest Greens chipping green to beat lifelong Liverpool fan Mark Stewart as Grobbelaar, who had been eliminated earlier, tended the flag.
Bright said: “I’m absolutely delighted and the trophy will take pride of place in my house.
“Winning the competition last month was good enough but this tops it all off – and it was great to beat Bruce in the process!”
Bright was one of around 400 media who attended last year’s show and believes organisers have taken a major step to making the event a regular fixture on the golfing calendar after seeing the quality of this year’s event.
He added: “The show’s bigger and better than before and has exceeded all expectations.
“I was so enthusiastic to come down here and there is so much to do for everyone. There are so many gadgets and gimmicks that it’s difficult to get round to see everything in one day and I’m going to try to come back on Sunday as well.”
He was presented with his trophy by football legend Jimmy Hill, who was on hand with Sky Sports presenter Matt Lorenzo to offer expert analysis.
* Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola is among the many famous names attending tomorrow’s London Golf Show, at ExCeL, which runs until Sunday.