PDA

View Full Version : Provisional England WC Squad !

stimo
08-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Provisional squad:
Robinson (Tottenham), James (Manchester City), Green (Norwich); G Neville (Manchester United), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Terry (Chelsea), Cole (Arsenal), Campbell (Arsenal), Carragher (Liverpool), Bridge (Chelsea), Beckham (Real Madrid), Carrick (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Downing (Middlesbrough), J Cole (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Rooney (Manchester United), Owen (Newcastle), Crouch (Liverpool), Walcott (Arsenal).

Standby:
Carson (Liverpool), Young (Charlton), Reo-Coker (West Ham), Defoe (Tottenham), Johnson (Crystal Palace).

Theo Walcott and Aaron Lennon have been named in England's World Cup squad

Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jermain Defoe and Ledley King have been left out.

Darren Bent misses out, while Defoe is on a five-man standby list.

Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing and Bayern Munich's Owen Hargreaves are the other surprise inclusions.

Chelsea winger Wright-Phillips, an England squad regular this season, does not even make the standby list, which includes uncapped West Ham midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker and Crystal Palace striker Andy Johnson.

Asked how he came to the decision to omit the likes of Defoe and Bent in favour of Walcott, Eriksson confessed: "Probably not too logically.

"Sometimes you do it on feelings as well and I am excited about Theo Walcott."

stimo
08-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Provisional squad:
Robinson (Tottenham), James (Manchester City), Green (Norwich); G Neville (Manchester United), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Terry (Chelsea), Cole (Arsenal), Campbell (Arsenal), Carragher (Liverpool), Bridge (Chelsea), Beckham (Real Madrid), Carrick (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Downing (Middlesbrough), J Cole (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Rooney (Manchester United), Owen (Newcastle), Crouch (Liverpool), Walcott (Arsenal).

Standby:
Carson (Liverpool), Young (Charlton), Reo-Coker (West Ham), Defoe (Tottenham), Johnson (Crystal Palace).

Theo Walcott and Aaron Lennon have been named in England's World Cup squad

Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jermain Defoe and Ledley King have been left out.

Darren Bent misses out, while Defoe is on a five-man standby list.

Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing and Bayern Munich's Owen Hargreaves are the other surprise inclusions.

Chelsea winger Wright-Phillips, an England squad regular this season, does not even make the standby list, which includes uncapped West Ham midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker and Crystal Palace striker Andy Johnson.

Asked how he came to the decision to omit the likes of Defoe and Bent in favour of Walcott, Eriksson confessed: "Probably not too logically.

"Sometimes you do it on feelings as well and I am excited about Theo Walcott."

Not sure why Jenas, Hargreaves are in there, not so sure about Sol Campbell at all. :thumbsdow
Chelsea have done everything they can to hinder SWP progress and non inclusion in the Squad. :thumbsdow (please move Shaun, now):cry3:

Walcott over Defoe? :huh: Walcott never having played a Prem game?
Liking the inclusion of Lennon, well done Sven :thumbsup:

Andy HLS
08-05-2006, 05:03 PM
its an absolute ******* desgrace that Darren Bent is not in the ******* squad, i hope that swedish **** chokes on his ******* champagne,i dont even think ill bother ******* watching
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: there aint enough of these to make me feel better, the boy is ******* devestated, what more did he have to do hes the top English striker in the premiership, so now we have 2 crocks a bean pole and a kid,i ******* give up.

KenC
08-05-2006, 05:06 PM
its an absolute ******* desgrace that Darren Bent is not in the ******* squad, i hope that swedish **** chokes on his ******* champagne,i dont even think ill bother ******* watching
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: there aint enough of these to make me feel better, the boy is ******* devestated, what more did he have to do hes the top English striker in the premiership, so now we have 2 crocks a bean pole and a kid,i ******* give up.

Could you be a bit more effing expressive Andy - its hard to read your mood.

Andy HLS
08-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Could you be a bit more effing expressive Andy - its hard to read your mood.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **there you go is that clearer

Fraccie
08-05-2006, 05:23 PM
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **there you go is that clearer

So,let me see if i`ve got this right Andy,you don`t totally agree with Svens squad ?And would have preferred the highest scoring English centre forward to be in the squad rather than,an unfit Owen,an unfit Rooney,a useless beanpole and a kid who ain`t played a premiership game.....................:wink3: :wink3:

Edit.......can you be a bit clearer next time please..........................:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

stimo
08-05-2006, 05:26 PM

We get rid of him after this one !!!!!

KenC
08-05-2006, 05:33 PM

Much better, thank you.

stevew
08-05-2006, 06:10 PM
We get rid of him after this one !!!!!

We needed rid of him before this.

Owen Hargreaves WTF:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

GrahamS
08-05-2006, 06:11 PM
It would have been better if they'd waved him on his way BEFORE the World Cup and appointed somebody with passion, e.g. Stuart Pearce, as caretaker manager until a permanent appointment was made.

It seems like Sven is just deliberately taking the piss now. It makes no odds to him whether we win or lose and he's picked a team full of walking wounded, previous failures and untried youngsters, one of whom has never even had a runout for his club.

This is Sven exacting his revenge and the FA have made themselves, and us, a laughing stock again :mad:

Watch out for some bizarre decisions during the tournament too :thumbsdow

KenC
08-05-2006, 06:55 PM
It would have been better if they'd waved him on his way BEFORE the World Cup and appointed somebody with passion, e.g. Stuart Pearce, as caretaker manager until a permanent appointment was made.

It seems like Sven is just deliberately taking the piss now. It makes no odds to him whether we win or lose and he's picked a team full of walking wounded, previous failures and untried youngsters, one of whom has never even had a runout for his club.

This is Sven exacting his revenge and the FA have made themselves, and us, a laughing stock again :mad:

Watch out for some bizarre decisions during the tournament too :thumbsdow

I so hope you are right :grin: :grin: :thumbsup: .

GrahamS
08-05-2006, 07:01 PM
I so hope you are right :grin: :grin: :thumbsup: .
Who have Scotland got in the group stages? :grin:

steve f
08-05-2006, 07:12 PM
this thread and football is to violent can we close it please mods

KenC
08-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Who have Scotland got in the group stages? :grin:

Sadly we are not up to the required standard at the moment :thumbsdow . Hence I need to take my pleasure in other ways. I am not biased - I do not care who beats England :tongue3: .

Jules
08-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Think Sven's got it spot on.

He's gone for an attacking midfield, he can flood the midfield going for a 4 5 1 formation. He's not that bothered about strikers.

Lampard 20 goals in the premiership
Gerrard 16 goals in all comps
Cole is now on fire
Beckham can score from setplays

Last person to score in Portugal was Lampard

He'll put Carrick in a holding role & play Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard & Cole across the midfield allowing Gerrard to attack like he does for Liverpool

As for Walcott - we'll see, at least it makes it interesting!

steve f
08-05-2006, 07:25 PM
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Andy HLS
08-05-2006, 07:29 PM

He's gone for an attacking midfield, he can flood the midfield going for a 4 5 1 formation. He's not that bothered about strikers.

Cole is now on fire

He'll put Carrick in a holding role & play Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard & Cole across the midfield allowing Gerrard to attack like he does for Liverpool

Name the last team to win a world cup without a striker, i agree with the formation but wheres plan B, he cant put a decent 4 4 2 out if it doesnt work, when did Lampard score the other 6 goals in the prem that you gave him ?, he only got 14, still more than the chelsea strikers:thumbsdow but less than Bent.

Jules
08-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Name the last team to win a world cup without a striker, i agree with the formation but wheres plan B, he cant put a decent 4 4 2 out if it doesnt work, when did Lampard score the other 6 goals in the prem that you gave him ?, he only got 14, still more than the chelsea strikers:thumbsdow but less than Bent.

Andy - I gave up on England winning years back, I think Sven likes running strikers rather than target men (although Crouch is a given) - Bent didn't get much luck against Uruguay - perhaps he wanted a skillfull attacking striker as a replacement for Owen as Crouch is the target man.

At least this was our expectations aren't so high!

noony
08-05-2006, 07:49 PM
It's certainly interesting - gutted for Darren Bent, and if I was Jermaine Defoe I'd be on a death rampage right now

4-5-1 is the way to go without Rooney

I'm supporting South Korea anyway.

stevew
08-05-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm supporting South Korea anyway.

First Ronaldo and now Park,you about to come out of the closet:grin: :grin: :grin:

noony
08-05-2006, 08:51 PM
First Ronaldo and now Park,you about to come out of the closet:grin: :grin: :grin:
Park is brilliant, just bought this shirt http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8808612072

also have portugal Ronaldo shirt, and Van Nistelrooy Holland shirt....ooooooooops

stevew
08-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Park is brilliant, just bought this shirt http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8808612072

also have portugal Ronaldo shirt, and Van Nistelrooy Holland shirt....ooooooooops

Typical ManU fan,supporting a team from where they are not from:wink3: :wink3: :wink3: :wink3: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

20valveturbo
08-05-2006, 09:41 PM
having seen walcott play for saints numerous times at St Marys at the start of this season what i will say is that this kid simply has no fear. Lightning pace, goes past defenders as if they weren't there. Got clattered a fair few times but that is the fizzy pop league for you, just gets up, dusts himself down and gets on with it.
What i am worried about is that if he has a howler, then the press will get on his back and his confidence will be shot.
But he is an awesome player.
Good on ya lad!

THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!TH EO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO !!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!! THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!
:worthy:worthy:worthy:worthy
:mexicanwa:mexicanwa

Fraccie
08-05-2006, 11:13 PM
having seen walcott play for saints numerous times at St Marys at the start of this season what i will say is that this kid simply has no fear. Lightning pace, goes past defenders as if they weren't there. Got clattered a fair few times but that is the fizzy pop league for you, just gets up, dusts himself down and gets on with it.
What i am worried about is that if he has a howler, then the press will get on his back and his confidence will be shot.
Good on ya lad!

THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!TH EO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO !!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!! THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!THEO!!

Great Avatar.........................top series,did not think southerners got the Royal Family.................humour wise i mean.............

francisn
09-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Even as a Spurs fan I think Walcott is a good risk. From what one reads he is the sort of kid who might just be the sensation much as Pele, Owen and Rooney have been.

I suspect Defoe is first choice if Owen or Rooney don't make it. Well I HOPE so.

I'm suprised at Hargreaves being in there. I agree with Aaron Lennon being there in preference to Wright-Phillips but it's really tough for W-P not even being on standby. But then if you take the shilling and go to Chelsea and then don't get to play - who's to blame!

Sorry about Bent because he's had a great season - but I'm not sure he's really a word class player. Sorry Stimo

stimo
09-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Good on ya lad!

Why has Wenger not selected him once in the Arsenal team then ?

stimo
09-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Even as a Spurs fan I think Walcott is a good risk. From what one reads he is the sort of kid who might just be the sensation much as Pele, Owen and Rooney have been.

I suspect Defoe is first choice if Owen or Rooney don't make it. Well I HOPE so.

I'm suprised at Hargreaves being in there. I agree with Aaron Lennon being there in preference to Wright-Phillips but it's really tough for W-P not even being on standby. But then if you take the shilling and go to Chelsea and then don't get to play - who's to blame!

Sorry about Bent because he's had a great season - but I'm not sure he's really a word class player. Sorry Stimo

For me, without Rooney, Bent is the best All round stiker we have. He is quick, quite big, strong, good in the air, good on the ground but not the best passer. Owen is quick and a good finisher, Crouch is tall, Walcott - no one really knows anything, especially Sven and Defoe + Johson are two more quick strikers. Bent for me was a must as he is something different. Im sorry Crouch is hardly a class Prem striker, but a World Cup class centre forward, not a chance.

But what do i know, i don't get paid 4 million a year to make these decisions

stimo
09-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Rooney isnt going to be 100% at any stage in the tournament, and Owen has been injured for quite a while, made two come backs on gone off, so its pretty likely that in our new 4-5-1 formation, we are going to win the World Cup with either Peter Crouch or Theo Walcott as the lone striker.:cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

Jules
09-05-2006, 11:56 AM
For me, without Rooney, Bent is the best All round stiker we have. He is quick, quite big, strong, good in the air, good on the ground but not the best passer. Owen is quick and a good finisher, Crouch is tall, Walcott - no one really knows anything, especially Sven and Defoe + Johson are two more quick strikers. Bent for me was a must as he is something different. Im sorry Crouch is hardly a class Prem striker, but a World Cup class centre forward, not a chance.

But what do i know, i don't get paid 4 million a year to make these decisions

I went to see the Eng v Poland qualifier. Its different when you're watching live as you get a completely different perspective of certain players. We were drawing I think and Sven brought Crouch on - the crowd booed, but what he did was play deeper and cause the defence confusion.

Crouch played a smart ball to teamate who in turn passed to someone else with Lampard finishing off the game for a 2-1 win. Crouch is not a world class striker, but he gives us another approach, especially as he's got a better touch than most of the other strikers we've discussed

tonyh
09-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Great Avatar.........................top series,did not think southerners got the Royal Family.................humour wise i mean.............

my a rse they don't

Bromers
09-05-2006, 01:06 PM

Cole is now on fire

I totally agree. There are a couple of dodgy ones in his selection (Hargreaves in particular), IMHO I think Rooney won't go and be replaced with Defoe. If Owen isn't fit then he shouldn't be going either - I think we've got a couple of friendlies, time for Owen to prove his fittness.

The friendlies will be interesting - wonder whether he'll play Walcott ?

Rick

steve f
09-05-2006, 01:31 PM
please close this thread its utter rubbish nothing about ferrari's :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

stimo
09-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I went to see the Eng v Poland qualifier. Its different when you're watching live as you get a completely different perspective of certain players. We were drawing I think and Sven brought Crouch on - the crowd booed, but what he did was play deeper and cause the defence confusion.

Crouch played a smart ball to teamate who in turn passed to someone else with Lampard finishing off the game for a 2-1 win. Crouch is not a world class striker, but he gives us another approach, especially as he's got a better touch than most of the other strikers we've discussed

But Crouch has only scored 9 Prem goals all season, and he cant be creating much for the other strikers as they havent scored many either.

James Beattie has scored more goals than Crouch, playing in one of the worst creative teams in the Prem all on his own up front !

IMHO, Jan Koller was a far better player than Peter Crouch (taller too) and he wasn't all that good was he. All this height stuff for me is a waste of time. Pace over height up front for me anyday.

Bromers
09-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Disagree Chris - Crouch will be good for England (and Liverpool).

Rick

Jules
09-05-2006, 05:56 PM
But Crouch has only scored 9 Prem goals all season, and he cant be creating much for the other strikers as they havent scored many either.

James Beattie has scored more goals than Crouch, playing in one of the worst creative teams in the Prem all on his own up front !

IMHO, Jan Koller was a far better player than Peter Crouch (taller too) and he wasn't all that good was he. All this height stuff for me is a waste of time. Pace over height up front for me anyday.

Sven needs options, and whilst I take your point about Beattie, he didn't cut it when given the chance. It was interesting to hear what Ray Clemence said when asked about Crouch - his response was - everytime he's come on, we've come from behind and won! - nuff said:wink3: :wink3:

stimo
09-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Sven needs options, and whilst I take your point about Beattie, he didn't cut it when given the chance. It was interesting to hear what Ray Clemence said when asked about Crouch - his response was - everytime he's come on, we've come from behind and won! - nuff said:wink3: :wink3:

Lets hope the World Cup standard is far below the Premiership standard.
I would truly love to be wrong about Crouch, but im sure im not !

noony
09-05-2006, 07:52 PM
to be fair, Crouchinho is a decent player when you want to change a game and confuse a defence