PDA

View Full Version : Is it a clutch cooler on my 355 GTS?

johan6504
14-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Hi
Finally made the jump and signed the contract for a 1998 355 GTS. I will present it to this forum later when all details are ready and the car been delivered to me.

But before that I have a question about something that seemed to be attached to the end of the clutch underneath that car. I think I have seen this somewhere on the net but canít seem to find it again. I believe it is a clutch cooler, and I am not sure it is original. Does any one know what I am talking about?

johan6504
14-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Found a link that explains, seems to be a Challange part that some 355 came with.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77972&highlight=355+clutch

F355GTS
14-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Johan

it is std on all euro cars I beleive (well it is fitted on all the 355's I have ever seen)

johan6504
14-05-2006, 10:50 AM
The 355 Spider I saw last week didnít have it. But it was a very late 1999 model. I am also pretty sure it wasnít installed on all the cars I have been looking at lately. Anyone know what the improvements are?

johan6504
14-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Found this link with replacement in carbon
http://www.pro-carbon.com/scripts/podrobnosti.php?IDZ=267

llenroc
15-05-2006, 09:02 PM
The 355 Spider I saw last week didnít have it. But it was a very late 1999 model. I am also pretty sure it wasnít installed on all the cars I have been looking at lately. Anyone know what the improvements are?
The piece is a challenge car part it was to cool the bearings and clutch pack area in general. Regards, Vern

Nick355
16-05-2006, 12:20 AM
The piece is a challenge car part it was to cool the bearings and clutch pack area in general. Regards, Vern

My 95 car has one but it's not a challenge car, I think it's just an insulator to keep some of the heat from the exhaust warming the clutch. It's also listed in the parts catalogue so would think it is a standard part.

johan6504
16-05-2006, 04:40 AM
So, is it for keeping the clutch warm or cold :uhoh:

ric355
16-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Have a look at the 355's on this page.

http://www.fcars.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5069&page=4

I can see 3 different incarnations of the underside. They are all road cars.

Nick355
16-05-2006, 10:03 AM
So, is it for keeping the clutch warm or cold :uhoh:

Opps It was late I'll reword that
"I think it's just an insulator to keep the heat from the exhaust from warming the clutch"

It looks to me as though it catches some of the air flowing under the car and directs it up in between the clutch and exhaust

llenroc
17-05-2006, 03:59 AM
My 95 car has one but it's not a challenge car, I think it's just an insulator to keep some of the heat from the exhaust warming the clutch. It's also listed in the parts catalogue so would think it is a standard part.

In doing some further research I found 3 different part no. The '95 parts book shows a pic of the piece being smaller and only covering about 1/2 of the clutch housing the '97 parts(spares for you Brits:grin: )shows another part that covers the entire housing and has two scoups on the bottom of it that draws air up into it. The Challenge parts book show a pic of piece that looks like the '97 part but has an insulation pad on it. All 3 parts have different nos.
My challenge car has the 3rd one discribed. Now that I think of this a little more I have seen some 355s with this shield/scoop on them and some not. All of the 355C's I've looked at have this part but, not all of the road cars do that I've seen: :hmmm: .

johan6504
17-05-2006, 07:18 AM
I find this quite strange! There are three different versions, some car have them and other does not. It obviously has something to do with cooling the clutch, thatís clear. Any difference between F1 and manual cars?

Since it doesnít look very stylish with its rugged finish it feels like it is a late ďfixĒ. I have read that there are problems with grease leaking from the clutch, could it have something to do with it?

Would be nice to know if it will shorten the life of the clutch if it is removed, would surprise me if it didnít, otherwise why mount it, right?

llenroc
17-05-2006, 11:41 PM
I find this quite strange! There are three different versions, some car have them and other does not. It obviously has something to do with cooling the clutch, that’s clear. Any difference between F1 and manual cars?

Since it doesn’t look very stylish with its rugged finish it feels like it is a late “fix”. I have read that there are problems with grease leaking from the clutch, could it have something to do with it?

Would be nice to know if it will shorten the life of the clutch if it is removed, would surprise me if it didn’t, otherwise why mount it, right?
Johan, Actually it's not too strange Ferrari does this alot thier cars are always a work in progress always updating things as time goes by. I will agree the finish has a little to be desired . It is obvious they spent time on functionality not beauty. What I do find odd though is that I don't see it on all cars. I do think it should be left in place that rear bearing needs all the cooling ability it can get being next to the silencer same for the flywheel which has grease packed in it. Regards, Vern

Brian (Rifledriver)
18-05-2006, 10:51 PM
I have never seen one in this country fitted from the factory except on Challenge cars. I have seen and participated in the retrofit of a few on street cars that saw heavy service, track or otherwise.
Installation is, for best effect, accompanied by modding the clutch housing by making some large holes in it to allow the new found air a place to go.

llenroc
18-05-2006, 11:24 PM
I have never seen one in this country fitted from the factory except on Challenge cars. I have seen and participated in the retrofit of a few on street cars that saw heavy service, track or otherwise.
Installation is, for best effect, accompanied by modding the clutch housing by making some large holes in it to allow the new found air a place to go.
I forgot about that hole drilling deal, my CH has them in housing but the road cars didn't. Actually I have seen a few road cars with the cover but as you said probably a retro fit. Maybe a Euro part only? The parts book doesn't say what cars they were used on. Sometimes the books will tell you that a part is for a certain market but not in this case. Hummm Regards, Vern