PDA

View Full Version : Engine cleaner

Fered
15-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Can you recommend a good F-car engine cleaner for diplay engines.(360/CS/430 +). I am looking for a cleaner that does not leave an oil or silicone film after the wash.

Any suggestions welcome for DIY.

Thanks

barabus
15-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Can you recommend a good F-car engine cleaner for diplay engines.(360/CS/430 +). I am looking for a cleaner that does not leave an oil or silicone film after the wash.

Any suggestions welcome for DIY.

Thanks

Helo mate ive just bought some Zymol Strik, not used it yet but its supposed to be good and the rest of Zymol products are so see no reason why not.
Got mine on Ebay a lot cheaper than from Zymol:grin:

stevew
15-11-2005, 10:57 PM
I've used Autoglym(sorry Dave) motorcycle cleaner on engines with good results.Just spray it on,leave it for a couple on mins and hose off.
Never used the Zymol one,but I would assume it's pretty good.

Dave Z
15-11-2005, 11:17 PM
I've used Autoglym(sorry Dave) motorcycle cleaner on engines with good results.Just spray it on,leave it for a couple on mins and hose off.

No worries steve , I can vouch for both the AG motorcycle cleaner and engine cleaner they are excellent products and work extremely well.
The Zymol Strik is also really good , although it is blended from natural ingredients as apposed to a chemical formula like the AG ones,
Could I choose which is the best one , probably not to be honest.

I did try a new product out from hellfords the other week though, it comes in a box with 2 spray cans , one an engine cleaner and the other an engine detailer spray, they cost me about a tenner and I tried them out on a porsche gt3 engine that I had to do a quick makeover on.
I must say for a quick job they worked really well together, the first not doing a bad job at dissolving the dirt (had to brush it in a bit though),
the detailer spray though I was quite impressed with , it left the engine bay with a natural looking sheen , not too shiny and was easy to use .

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

hedge
15-11-2005, 11:47 PM

You hose your engine..can that not cause issues? What would the process be for cleaning your F-engine?

Thanks,

Marc

GrahamS
15-11-2005, 11:50 PM
You hose your engine..can that not cause issues? What would the process be for cleaning your F-engine?

Thanks,

Marc
I usually just wash it off with a sopping wet cloth and paint brush. Takes longer but I have no worries re water getting into the electrics

barabus
15-11-2005, 11:50 PM

Thanks,

Marc

I think you do it gently and with a fine spray avoiding the electrics as much as possible Marc:grin:

stevew
15-11-2005, 11:53 PM

Thanks,

Marc

When I got the 348 the engine and engine bay was clean but dusty,just sprayed on some of the cleaner and washed off with the hose under low pressure.Keep away from the electrics as much as possible(cover them with pastic bags if you feel better).Then just start the engine and let the heat dry everything off.

Klint
16-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Have you folks tried steam cleaning the engine? Would this affect the electronics as much as just spraying the engine compartment with water?

Ravi 355
16-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Have you folks tried steam cleaning the engine? Would this affect the electronics as much as just spraying the engine compartment with water?

My engine was steam cleaned (not by me) and it started misfiring afterwards. Turned out to be a pug that needed replacing.

I would say do not steam clean!

Jack Russell Racing
17-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Maybe we should ask Dale? :laugh:

hedge
17-11-2005, 02:14 PM
When I got the 348 the engine and engine bay was clean but dusty,just sprayed on some of the cleaner and washed off with the hose under low pressure.Keep away from the electrics as much as possible(cover them with pastic bags if you feel better).Then just start the engine and let the heat dry everything off.

might try that if i am feeling brave one day!

Dave Z
18-11-2005, 11:48 AM

My advice would be avoid steam cleaning at all costs , only because the steam travels into places that you can't see , like electrical connections etc,
I you do need to use water then cover up all electrical components and use a degreaser and low flowing hose, , try to let he engine bay dry naturally because if you do run it it will create steam anyway.
If you want to have a go at dry cleaning it , auto glym do a good product called instant show shine/instant bike shine , it just sprays on and wipes off and leaves a natural sheen. I'd reccomend this if you don't fancy wetting the engine.

steveirl
19-11-2005, 04:15 PM

I would agree with the other guys here, dont steam clean you engine.
I had my engine steam cleaned on the rec. of a local valeter here many years ago, the car was a BMW 735i and about two weeks later car began to misfire and then shut down. water in the ecu and a new one wasnt cheap!!
steve

Hud
19-11-2005, 04:20 PM
i just blast mine with the pressure washer, being carefull to avoid the electrics. i was advised it was perfectly safe to do so by Graypaul.

Klint
20-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks for clearing up the steaming idea. Guess it's a no go!