PDA

View Full Version : Zymol - how easy?

candellara
20-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Had my 348 for approx 1 year and have read so much about Zymol i'm thinking of giving it a go - but, i want to do it myself. (Car has only had Autoglym over the last year and there are a few swirl marks)

What's the best starter kit to buy and how easy is this stuff to use? I inderstand that it's time consuming - that's fine but i don't want to make a complete hash of it.

Advice plse

GrahamS
20-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Contact sponsor john Drake at www.johnswax.co.uk (http://www.johnswax.co.uk)

I had the exact same dilemma as you. He advised what was the best stuff I needed to buy, supplied the wax and gave me some detailed instructions over the phone just before I was about to use it in anger.

You can't go wrong :thumbsup:

candellara
20-07-2006, 11:32 AM
What wax did you start with? I'm reluctant to start with an expensive variety in case i make a complete pigs ear of it.

GrahamS
20-07-2006, 11:35 AM
What wax did you start with? I'm reluctant to start with an expensive variety in case i make a complete pigs ear of it.

Titanium - cost was 65.

Cost me about 120 for everything I needed, but I already had the clay bar kit so I saved on that

(Tip: Meguiars clay bar and lube is less than half the price of the Zymol equivalent :thumbsup: About 12 I think)

stevew
20-07-2006, 11:42 AM
The whole process is pretty starightfrorward once you get into it,just very time consuming.Very rewarding though,doing it yourself:thumbsup:

strad360
20-07-2006, 11:59 AM
The whole process is pretty starightfrorward once you get into it,just very time consuming.Very rewarding though,doing it yourself:thumbsup:

We actually use Swissol but as Steve says time consuming but the finish when you step back is mind blowing!!!

Dave:thumbsup:

ric355
20-07-2006, 12:14 PM
(Tip: Meguiars clay bar and lube is less than half the price of the Zymol equivalent :thumbsup: About 12 I think)

Tip:

http://www.bilthamber.co.uk/autoclay.html

This claybar is lubricated with water! I have one - it works great.

Fraccie
20-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Tip:

http://www.bilthamber.co.uk/autoclay.html

This claybar is lubricated with water! I have one - it works great.

Seconded,works well...:thumbsup:

Ravi 355
20-07-2006, 01:38 PM

Steve you need to get out more :tongue3:

Ravi 355
20-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Had my 348 for approx 1 year and have read so much about Zymol i'm thinking of giving it a go - but, i want to do it myself. (Car has only had Autoglym over the last year and there are a few swirl marks)

What's the best starter kit to buy and how easy is this stuff to use? I inderstand that it's time consuming - that's fine but i don't want to make a complete hash of it.

Advice plse

For the irst treatmnt I'd get Dave Zymol to do it. The first application is by far the hardest and most time consuming. He'll also teach you how to look after it by washing and waxing regularly.

steve f
20-07-2006, 01:51 PM
i have had both ZYMOL & SWISSOL on my car the second seems easier to use :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Angelis
20-07-2006, 01:57 PM
For the irst treatmnt I'd get Dave Zymol to do it. The first application is by far the hardest and most time consuming. He'll also teach you how to look after it by washing and waxing regularly.

I agree with Ravi.

If you don't know how to apply it, you'll end up using too much and wasting your money. Best to get Dave round and do the initail application and then do the top ups yourself.

I started doing my Jaguar a few months ago and gave up after the 3rd panel. Just to much aggravation. Plus, if there are any defects in the paint, Dave can machine them out. Like anything, you need a good base.

i have had both ZYMOL & SWISSOL on my car the second seems easier to use :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1. You did'nt do it yourself.

2. You had it done for free.

:tongue3: :tongue3:

stevew
20-07-2006, 02:14 PM

"seems"does that mean you haven't actually applied either yourself:wink3: :grin:

steve f
20-07-2006, 02:19 PM
"seems"does that mean you haven't actually applied either yourself:wink3: :grin:
unfortunatly i have not as my car is so attractive and rare others do it for free to promote there buisness to the ordinary run of the mill ferrari drivers :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

candellara
20-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Cheers Guys - thanks for the advice.

Going to go Titanium for starters and have a go myself as i want the satisfaction.The secondary benefit is that i can spend more time in the garage:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If i do mess it all up - i'll call Dave:laugh:

strad360
20-07-2006, 02:37 PM

Swissol is dead easy to use if anybody local to us needs help give us a shout..

Dave:thumbsup:

GrahamS
20-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Cheers Guys - thanks for the advice.

Going to go Titanium for starters and have a go myself as i want the satisfaction.The secondary benefit is that i can spend more time in the garage:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If i do mess it all up - i'll call Dave:laugh:

You won't mess up :thumbsup:

Applying Zymol, or any other wax, isn't the rocket science it's made out to be

Don't forget to take your time and, assuming you're buying from John Drake, take him up on his offer of telephone advice before you start.

And do one panel at once. Then, if you run out of time, it doesn't matter as you can finish the other panels a different day. If you Clay Bar and/or HDCleanse the whole car at once then you're pretty much committed to finishing it off before you drive it again.

Took me 3 hours to do just my back bumper for example :shocked:

And don't forget to HD Cleanse twice for added results :dude:

candellara
20-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Cheers Graham,

I'll order all the items from the sponsor and have a go. I actually find cleaning the 348 is my way of winding off and is quite therapeutic after a long week behind a PC:smile: :smile:

For me - ownership is split 50/50 - cherishing it / driving it:thumbsup:

Dave Z
21-07-2006, 08:37 PM
just give me a call when you start it and i'll run through a few things with you as you go through the process,
Cheers
Dave 07970 713062:thumbsup:

Stewart 430 Scud
22-07-2006, 11:39 AM

Advice plse

The easy way is to get Dave to do it.:grin:

candellara
22-07-2006, 02:34 PM
just give me a call when you start it and i'll run through a few things with you as you go through the process,
Cheers
Dave 07970 713062:thumbsup:

Cheers Dave

Will definitely take you up on that :thumbsup: .....and if it all goes pearshape - guess you'll be travelling to Bognor Regis! :laugh:

Do you travel that far?

Roony
22-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Remember to post the results as you go!!!!!

eijiboy
23-07-2006, 03:54 AM
guys do u use any citrus degreaser like paul dalton on fifth gear. if yes what is the name of your citrus degreaser or if you know what paul dalton use pls tell me

Dave Z
23-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Cheers Dave

Will definitely take you up on that :thumbsup: .....and if it all goes pearshape - guess you'll be travelling to Bognor Regis! :laugh:

Do you travel that far?

Yes mate , we cover the whole of the uk:thumbsup:

Loonie
27-07-2006, 05:45 PM
So how much is a Zymol treatment then Dave & do we get to keep the remainder of the wax / shampoo afterwards or do you use your own supplies and we just buy from you thereafter?

BTW, I'm in surrey, near Jct 6 on the M25 if the travelling adds to the overall cost.

Cheers

Dave Z
27-07-2006, 10:55 PM
we charge 200 for paintwork correction, 400 for a zymol royale application or 500 if you combine the 2.
You get a maintenance kit with your application as well.
Feel free to give me a bell if you have any more questions,
Cheers,
Dave 07970 713062