PDA

View Full Version : Putting the car to bed for the winter

Juke 360
16-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Hello,

I am putting my Ferrari away for the winter. Any advice on preparing the car for winter storage? My 360 will be in a heated garage and I plan to give it a full clean before putting it away?

All advice appreciated.

Juke

Hud
16-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Hello,

I am putting my Ferrari away for the winter. Any advice on preparing the car for winter storage? My 360 will be in a heated garage and I plan to give it a full clean before putting it away?

All advice appreciated.

Juke

Leave it out of gear with the handbrake off .Invest in a dehumidifier if you dont already have one. Make sure you block up any holes to prevent mice/rats getting into your engine bay.

Other than that - i wouldnt bother too much. 360's are pretty resiliant:thumbsup:

sweeni
16-10-2006, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=Juke 360;152825]Hello,

Why?
Are you worried it might catch a cold :grin:

MalcH
16-10-2006, 12:47 PM
I put the battery conditioner on, add some air (above normal driving pressures) into the tyres to help support the sidewalls. Then as Hud said leave the handbrake off. Have a dry garage attached to the house but it is not heated or de-humidified.

That's for a 23 yr old relic :thumbsup:

Jules
16-10-2006, 12:51 PM
wtf??

is this a serious thread?:wink3: :wink3:

had my Modena through winter, just kept it in the garage with the night storage heaters, a teddy for night nights and a bottle of milk:thumbsup:

i guess as long as you start it on a regular basis, shouldn't have any probs, but if not, you'll need to switch off all the electronics, alarms etc - just isolate the battery, or the battery will be dead in 10-14 days

tiganut
16-10-2006, 12:54 PM
1 Start car on regular basis
2 Remove said car from garage
3 Drive it hard for 100 miles(minimum)
4 Remove excessive grin from face
5 Put car away

Repeat as ness,or when bored.:thumbsup:

MalcH
16-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Yep 4got to mention start it and run it/drive it at very least once a month.

F328GTS
16-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Hello,

All advice appreciated.

Juke

Why? My advice is to use it once a fortnight, just go 30 - 50 miles or so each time, just to keep it ticking over. It's not good to let them stand too long, they are made to be driven. :thumbsup:

Angelis
16-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Get a carcoon and a battery optimiser.

rmdferrari
16-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Why? My advice is to use it once a fortnight, just go 30 - 50 miles or so each time, just to keep it ticking over. It's not good to let them stand too long, they are made to be driven. :thumbsup:

That's exactly the advice I'd give. Even just 10 miles gets everything hot and fluids moving about. :thumbsup:

barabus
16-10-2006, 05:06 PM
That's exactly the advice I'd give. Even just 10 miles gets everything hot and fluids moving about. :thumbsup:

and me :thumbsup:

mal
16-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Is this real!

My 33 year old Dino will be in a dehumidified garage with the handbrake off, and it will have a battery conditioner - but that is just to make sure it will start when I want to take it for a blast at any given oppurtunity!

The only time it wont go out is while there is lots of salt on the road - it does not mix well with '70's Italian steel!

AmoCS
16-10-2006, 09:09 PM
5 Put car away

Is that with or without a mufflerless exhaust:grin:

JRS
16-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Hello,

All advice appreciated.

Juke

Juke

Its a modern car !!! Drive it and enjoy it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

steve f
16-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Juke

Its a modern car !!! Drive it and enjoy it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

well said:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fraccie
16-10-2006, 11:31 PM

10 miles is not enough,the condensation will kill your engine,i,IMHWO,would recommend at least an hour of decent driving...:thumbsup:

rmdferrari
16-10-2006, 11:38 PM
What's ...IMHWO...? Why condensation on a 10 mile run? Is there none on a 20 mile?

Juke 360
17-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Thank you for all your advice and grief from certain areas.

I have other cars but my Ferrari is my pride and joy. It has taken me a long time to get one and I just want to look after it. I would rather not use it when their is salt and crap on the road.

Thanks again.

Fraccie
17-10-2006, 12:17 PM
What's ...IMHWO...? Why condensation on a 10 mile run? Is there none on a 20 mile?

10 mile wont get everything warmed up and ticking properly Richard,then you take your semi warm car home ,shove it in a cold garage and thus create condensation,and the engine is not a place for condensation to form is it?

Again,i reiterate,in my humble WORTHLESS opinion..:dude:

stevew
17-10-2006, 12:19 PM
If you are going to store it without using it over the winter months, DON'T be tempted to start it every so often and let it warm up on idle.If you are going to start it, take it for a good run, at least 30 miles to get everything up to temp.
Fill the tank with fuel.
You should really change the oil and filter before laying up.
Use a Battery conditioner or remove Battery.
You can put the car on axle stands but for the few months over winter I wouldn't bother, if you are going to leave it for more than say 6 months then that's a different matter.

Use a good Dehumidifier, I use one of these http://www.dry-it-out.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17

I also keep the car in a Carcoon, which IMH is the only way to store a car properly(bet everyone new this pic was coming:grin: )

F328GTS
17-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Thank you for all your advice and grief from certain areas.

I have other cars but my Ferrari is my pride and joy. It has taken me a long time to get one and I just want to look after it. I would rather not use it when their is salt and crap on the road.

Thanks again.

I never use mine unless the roads are bone dry, which coincides with about once a fortnight in the winter.:thumbsup:

tonyh
17-10-2006, 12:42 PM
If you are going to store it without using it over the winter months, DON'T be tempted to start it every so often and let it warm up on idle.If you are going to start it, take it for a good run, at least 30 miles to get everything up to temp.
Fill the tank with fuel.
You should really change the oil and filter before laying up.
Use a Battery conditioner or remove Battery.
You can put the car on axle stands but for the few months over winter I wouldn't bother, if you are going to leave it for more than say 6 months then that's a different matter.

Use a good Dehumidifier, I use one of these http://www.dry-it-out.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17

I also keep the car in a Carcoon, which IMH is the only way to store a car properly(bet everyone new this pic was coming:grin: )

Steve,
have you "plumbed in " the de humid or do you empty every couple o days ?

stevew
17-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Steve,
have you "plumbed in " the de humid or do you empty every couple o days ?

Just check/empty it every couple of days.

tonyh
17-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Just check/empty it every couple of days.

same here ; PITA , eh. I was thinking of running a pipe from dehumid through wall so it flows into garden ....

stevew
17-10-2006, 12:53 PM
same here ; PITA , eh. I was thinking of running a pipe from dehumid through wall so it flows into garden ....

There is the facilty to do that with most dehumidifiers, I don't mind it's an excuse to go into the garage and look at the car:grin: :thumbsup:

steve f
17-10-2006, 12:54 PM
FOR foook sake they are only cars you lot are pathetic

tonyh
17-10-2006, 12:54 PM
FOR foook sake they are only cars you lot are pathetic

STFU pls

steve f
17-10-2006, 12:57 PM
STFU pls

whats that mean ??????

stevew
17-10-2006, 12:57 PM
whats that mean ??????

shut the fq up:grin:

tonyh
17-10-2006, 12:58 PM
shut the fq up:grin:

:thumbsup:

Fraccie
17-10-2006, 01:02 PM
STFU pls

Yes Steven,do us all a favour,please,please,please ,just shut up...:cry3:

sweeni
17-10-2006, 01:02 PM
If cars were made for storage they would have pallet attachments for fork lifting into racks - USE THE ******* THINGS!!!!

Hud
17-10-2006, 01:05 PM
If cars were made for storage they would have pallet attachments for fork lifting into racks - USE THE ******* THINGS!!!!

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: Yorkshire in July :huh:

steve f
17-10-2006, 01:06 PM
well said dave but we are tougher up north than the southern jessies

tonyh
17-10-2006, 01:06 PM
well said dave but we are tougher up north than the southern jessies

what about SteveW :huh:

Fraccie
17-10-2006, 01:08 PM

A good point...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Suppose the belt job has just gone up again now...:cry:

steve f
17-10-2006, 01:08 PM

there is exceptions :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

stevew
17-10-2006, 01:09 PM

I know what salt does to cars, that's why mine stays in the garage:tongue3:

tonyh
17-10-2006, 01:10 PM
there is exceptions :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kipper :mad:

stevew
17-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Why's everyone picking on me:cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

steve f
17-10-2006, 01:11 PM
I know what salt does to cars, that's why mine stays in the garage:tongue3:

think of the inside of your belly with all the fish/chips on a dinner time with salt viniger

Hud
Why's everyone picking on me:cry3: :cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

can you change your user name to 'Pimple' :huh:

Princess Tone

Am impressed you drive these cars in the snow - only time have pranged a car was when driving in snow :thumbsdow :cry:

stevew
17-10-2006, 01:13 PM
think of the inside of your belly with all the fish/chips on a dinner time with salt viniger

just about to have that, no vinegar, mind:thumbsup: :grin:

Fraccie
17-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Wonder how long before this thread gets moved?...:wink3: :wink3: :wink3:

Bet it`s gone before SteveW`s fish and chip healthy option,salt with no vinegar...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hud
17-10-2006, 01:15 PM
just about to have that, no vinegar, mind:thumbsup: :grin:

with gravy i trust:thumbsup:

tonyh
17-10-2006, 01:17 PM

that's just wrong :shocked:

Fraccie
17-10-2006, 01:18 PM

Fish and Chips,with gravy?

Surely not...:huh:

Hud
17-10-2006, 01:18 PM
that's just wrong :shocked:

Honest Tone - that's what they do up there. Its a bit weird.

Fraccie
17-10-2006, 01:19 PM

Not where i live Chief!

Hud
17-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Not where i live Chief!

No mate, they drop food parcels there and it would be messy.:wink3:

rmdferrari
17-10-2006, 01:21 PM

More than abit....:thumbsdow Wouldn't it dribble down your Versace slik shirt all the time???

Fraccie
17-10-2006, 01:21 PM
No mate, they drop food parcels there and it would be messy.:wink3:

Damn good they are too....:thumbsup:

Marmite and ersatz coffee...yum.

Hud
17-10-2006, 01:25 PM
More than abit....:thumbsdow Wouldn't it dribble down your Versace slik shirt all the time???

Please dont get use Gravy and Dribble in the same sentence.

sweeni
17-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Am impressed you drive these cars in the snow - only time have pranged a car was when driving in snow :thumbsdow :cry:

The pub is the Strines Inn, near Sheffield. Trip was organised by the FOC - clearly they are more butch than Club Scuderia folk :grin:
The road has sections of 1:6 (up & down)with hairpins at the bottom. I had no bother at all with my old un, those with fancy traction control systems had a nightmare - go figure?
It was in March this year by the way

Why are the southern jessies hijacking the thread?

tiganut
17-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Not where i live Chief!
So no bog snorkeling,sheep rustling(or anything to do with sheep)etc etc in redneck country then?:grin:

Princess Tone
17-10-2006, 01:35 PM
The road has sections of 1:6 (up & down)with hairpins at the bottom. I had no bother at all with my old un, those with fancy traction control systems had a nightmare - go figure?

It was in March this year by the way

Why are the southern jessies hijacking the thread?

Impressive driving :thumbsup:
I from the South, as you may guess, as cannot drive in snow :laugh:

rmdferrari
17-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Please dont get use Gravy and Dribble in the same sentence.

Not a nice thought....:thumbsdow Do you use yer fingers, or a wooden fork??

Juke 360
17-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your insightful comments. Really glad I opened my big now. Anyway I will drive it for 10 miles, no 20 miles, no 50 miles or shall I just shut up???

I live not far away from Bognor Regis. There are lots of old people in Kia's who like to wear flat caps and gloves while driving. It is possibly the most dangerous place in the UK when it has been wet.:grin:

Maybe I should not be so over-protective and take the car for granted??????:grin:

stevew
17-10-2006, 01:39 PM

No, No, No, No, that's not right at all:thumbsdow

Now curry on the other hand:thumbsup:

Hud
17-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your insightful comments. Really glad I opened my big now. Anyway I will drive it for 10 miles, no 20 miles, no 50 miles or shall I just shut up???

I live not far away from Bognor Regis. There are lots of old people in Kia's who like to wear flat caps and gloves while driving. It is possibly the most dangerous place in the UK when it has been wet.:grin:

Maybe I should not be so over-protective and take the car for granted??????:grin:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :dude: :dude: :dude:

Fraccie
17-10-2006, 01:41 PM

Sorry your thread has been hijacked Juke...:cry3:

stevew
17-10-2006, 01:42 PM

Hey, if we are talking weird , you lot down south eat pie & mash with that green sheite poured all over it, what's that all about:puke2:

Fraccie
17-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Why do old people have boxes of tissues on the rear parcel shelf next to the obligatory travel rug?

stevew
17-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Sorry your thread has been hijacked Juke...:cry3:

Yes, apologies :cry3:

tonyh
17-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Why do old people have boxes of tissues on the rear parcel shelf next to the obligatory travel rug?

in case they shiete the car up ?

tiganut
17-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Hey, if we are talking weird , you lot down south eat pie & mash with that green sheite poured all over it, what's that all about:puke2:

Dont forget the stewed eels

Fraccie
17-10-2006, 01:47 PM
in case they shiete the car up ?

Never seen dog poo clean ups at Halfrauds yet....:wink3:

Hud
17-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Never seen dog poo clean ups at Halfrauds yet....:wink3:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Fraccie
17-10-2006, 01:56 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I bet there`s more air fesheners in Huds car now than your average late night taxi...:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Juke 360
17-10-2006, 04:28 PM
No problems on the thread being hi-jacked. Very funny comments and some people with emotional views on gravy!!!

Perhaps I should have been more clear when saying about putting the car away for the winter. I have only owned the car for 8 months and have used it nearly every day during our good summer. I have just started a new job where I travel a bit and will only be back to use the car for maybe once every 2-3 weeks - so therefore it will be standing still a lot of the time.

Thank you for the advice on tissues, gravy, chips and everything else

Fraccie
17-10-2006, 04:37 PM
No problems on the thread being hi-jacked. Very funny comments and some people with emotional views on gravy!!!

Perhaps I should have been more clear when saying about putting the car away for the winter. I have only owned the car for 8 months and have used it nearly every day during our good summer. I have just started a new job where I travel a bit and will only be back to use the car for maybe once every 2-3 weeks - so therefore it will be standing still a lot of the time.

Juke,the way i look at it is this,it is your car,if you want to wrap it in cotton wool soaked with the tears of baby hippo`s and cover it with flayed midge skin,then do so.Whatever you do enjoy the car mate...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh,and congrats on it.

stevew
17-10-2006, 04:39 PM

Carcoon it, not only will it be safe from the elements it will also be safe from the rest of the family wandering into the garage and causing one of those unfortunate accidents.

One thing that people forget about when leaving their cars in the garage over the winter is the garage floor, if it's concrete, damp rises through it, that's another reason why I rate the Carcoon so much because it has a rubber type ground sheet base that the damp cannot rise through.

Juke 360
17-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks Steve :thumbsup:

MalcH
17-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Juke,the way i look at it is this,it is your car,if you want to wrap it in cotton wool soaked with the tears of baby hippo`s and cover it with flayed midge skin,then do so.Whatever you do enjoy the car mate...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh,and congrats on it.

Spot on Ade :thumbsup: We all get enjoyment out of owning these B E A Utiful cars. What we do with them to please us is personal. I get nearly as much enjoyment looking at mine in the garage as driving, nearly. Whatever floats your boat. I agree the 360 is new car and far better built to withstand the crap British weather than my old cart, but I too would wrap a 360 in cotton wool through the winter if I could afford one :wink3:

One thing that people forget about when leaving their cars in the garage over the winter is the garage floor, if it's concrete, damp rises through it, that's another reason why I rate the Carcoon so much because it has a rubber type ground sheet base that the damp cannot rise through.

Steve pretty certain my 10 yr old garage has a waterproof membrane under the floor the same as the house, where's Ray Ferguson he would know what is generally done!

mal
18-10-2006, 08:23 AM
Steve pretty certain my 10 yr old garage has a waterproof membrane under the floor the same as the house, where's Ray Ferguson he would know what is generally done!

A garage will not necessarily have a DPM under it.

The killer as far as cars are concerned is condensation and the best way to reduce this is to have good ventilation - be it fresh air or forced air. Heating a garage does not necessarily help - some forms of heating actually can increase humidity.

Hud
18-10-2006, 08:55 AM

The killer as far as cars are concerned is condensation and the best way to reduce this is to have good ventilation - be it fresh air or forced air. Heating a garage does not necessarily help - some forms of heating actually can increase humidity.

Thats true. You pull more condensation in the summer than in the winter.

MalcH
18-10-2006, 02:40 PM

I agree, I seem to have it in my head that I have seen proof of it, but don't know where :huh:

Juke 360
18-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Great couple of points just made. It is funny how I almost find myself apologising for asking advice. I love my car!!!! The day before I picked it up I did not sleep all night. I was sick with excitement at the dealership (a little embarrasing) when I picked it up. It is a treasured possesion for me. I have a whole library of pictures I have taken after spending hours every other weekend cleaning it. This is the car I dreamed of owning - can anyone relate to that?? The Ferrari sales guy I bought it off commented that it was ' nice to see someone so excited about buying the a Ferrari. A lot of people just buy them to impress other people'. Maybe some people fall into that side here???? If my wife would let me I would have it indoors in the living room. Everytime I drive it I enjoy it more and more. Being part of this unique club is a true honour, a lifelong dreamed fulfilled, a sense of immense pride that I own this amazing car. Even though I own one I still look at each Ferrari I see with the same awe as the first time I saw a 308.

I have bought a cocoon today to keep it in. And had gravy on my chips tonight.......:grin:

Fraccie
18-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Great couple of points just made. It is funny how I almost find myself apologising for asking advice. I love my car!!!! The day before I picked it up I did not sleep all night. I was sick with excitement at the dealership (a little embarrasing) when I picked it up. It is a treasured possesion for me. I have a whole library of pictures I have taken after spending hours every other weekend cleaning it. This is the car I dreamed of owning - can anyone relate to that?? The Ferrari sales guy I bought it off commented that it was ' nice to see someone so excited about buying the a Ferrari. A lot of people just buy them to impress other people'. Maybe some people fall into that side here???? If my wife would let me I would have it indoors in the living room. Everytime I drive it I enjoy it more and more. Being part of this unique club is a true honour, a lifelong dreamed fulfilled, a sense of immense pride that I own this amazing car. Even though I own one I still look at each Ferrari I see with the same awe as the first time I saw a 308.

I have bought a cocoon today to keep it in. And had gravy on my chips tonight.......:grin:

The feeling is still the same for me after my first 9 months of ownership,enjoy it mate...:thumbsup:

MalcH
18-10-2006, 10:23 PM

Fantastic, and from the heart me thinks. You bought the car for all the right reasons. Enjoy, the feeling never goes.

sweeni
18-10-2006, 10:43 PM
You echo exactly my own feelings. :thumbsup:
Not sure about the gravy tho:huh:

hedge
19-10-2006, 09:11 AM
5 Put car away

100% agree with that - as I did last night! Great fun!! :)

nick308
27-10-2006, 11:09 PM
If you are away a bit (as I am too) be aware that modern petrols only have a shelf life of about 6 weeks. I tend to run the tank right down and then fill up when ready to go again - even if it is only a couple of gallons from a can to get started. Using the car monthly solves that, but do get it warm and that means right along the exhaust. Remember the drips from all those gently driven Kia's we treat as mobile chicanes. Petrol+oxygen=CO2+water. Water+iron+heat=rust, rust, rust.

I found with the bike that keeping it under a cover in the garage was worse than no cover at all due to condensation rising from the floor. A carcoon or similar is good advice.

Personally I just use my 308 when the road doesn't look too salty, usually after a good rain storm has cleaned everything down and before the maniacs from WSCC get out again. No wonder our tax is so high. I saw less salt in Lancashire, but a damned sight more snow and ice. Its those Kia drivers again!

mal
28-10-2006, 04:30 AM
If you are away a bit (as I am too) be aware that modern petrols only have a shelf life of about 6 weeks. I tend to run the tank right down and then fill up when ready to go again - even if it is only a couple of gallons from a can to get started. Using the car monthly solves that, but do get it warm and that means right along the exhaust. Remember the drips from all those gently driven Kia's we treat as mobile chicanes. Petrol+oxygen=CO2+water. Water+iron+heat=rust, rust, rust.

I found with the bike that keeping it under a cover in the garage was worse than no cover at all due to condensation rising from the floor. A carcoon or similar is good advice.

Personally I just use my 308 when the road doesn't look too salty, usually after a good rain storm has cleaned everything down and before the maniacs from WSCC get out again. No wonder our tax is so high. I saw less salt in Lancashire, but a damned sight more snow and ice. Its those Kia drivers again!

The trouble with that if you have a steel petrol tank is that rust can form inside the tank if left for long periods with no or little petrol in it. It is better to leave it full to prevent this.

Murph7355
02-11-2006, 12:20 AM
...I saw less salt in Lancashire, but a damned sight more snow and ice...
They might say that's surely the point :grin:

Dave Z
02-11-2006, 07:39 AM

I can relate to that , as some of you have found out , I do some pretty ****ty hours , whenever i get home at 10,11,12pm at night I always open the back doors to my garage , switch the light on , look at it and just grin like ****:grin:

Andy 308GTB
03-11-2006, 12:06 PM
The current weather conditions may be a fine test of how effective your garaging is.
Since it is close to freezing overnight - it will only take some warm damp air during the day to turn your car into the motoring equivalent of a cold pint of lager in a sweaty nightclub.

tiganut
03-11-2006, 01:12 PM
I can relate to that , as some of you have found out , I do some pretty ****ty hours , whenever i get home at 10,11,12pm at night I always open the back doors to my garage , switch the light on , look at it and just grin like ****:grin:

Thats when you know why you do those hours,makes it all seem worth it:thumbsup: