PDA

View Full Version : audi a8

20valveturbo
02-11-2006, 10:38 PM
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/90175.htm

half thinking about a new family motor, although this might be a bit too big for me, stunning wife:) and beautiful:) 10month old daughter (shame i let the side down:cry: )...plus i guess i'm about 20 years too young for one

anyway, is this a serious amount of kit for the money or what?:shocked:

Am i missing something. Any experience of these anybody?

KenC
02-11-2006, 10:40 PM

half thinking about a new family motor, although this might be a bit too big for me, stunning wife:) and beautiful:) 10month old daughter (shame i let the side down:cry: )...plus i guess i'm about 20 years too young for one

A lot of car for little money. Are these things not meant to be bulletproof?

ric355
02-11-2006, 10:46 PM
You would have to ask yourself (and research) what tends to go wrong on these cars when they reach high mileage. Audis have good reputation but all cars have their weak spots.

129k is a lot of miles. You'll basically have to run it into the ground as you'll probably never move it on (I speak from experience but BMW not Audi).

Seats look a bit tired to me.

You might find it is a bit more tatty than it looks in the pictures as resized photos can easily fail to show up the real condition of paintwork etc.

Still, not bad for the price and should go well with the aluminium body.

tom
02-11-2006, 10:48 PM
A guy I went to school with is, for some reason, really in to big saloons. He considered an A8 but was put off by potentially large electrical bills and some gearbox issues.

They were expensive when new, remember... I'd never say don't do it, just do a lot of research first, as I'm sure you will :)

edit: My Audi (A3) of similar vintage and mileage still drove sweetly and I didn't lose too much money on it over a year. However the big saloons are never as desirable so, as Richard says, you'd have to bank on running it into the ground.

ted 191
02-11-2006, 11:03 PM

I tried a new one a few years ago,nice car, but the ride on sport models is very hard

20valveturbo
02-11-2006, 11:10 PM
hmm, a bit (a lot) of research is needed.
I'm sure i'll lose my bottle anyway like i tend to do in these situations:grin:

Thanks fellas:dude:

Elms
03-11-2006, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=ric355;160169]

[QUOTE]

It has had 129k miles of bums sitting on it, cut it some slack :cry:

rmdferrari
03-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Very classy car indeed. I'm just selling my A6 Avant with 150,000 miles on it, and the thing is perfect mechanicaly. Audis and Saabs are known to take mileage better than most..... get a fresh MOT on it (and have sight of notice sheet) then it's one hell of a car around the 4k mark.

As Ric said, big cars with big engines get a pasting on residuals..... my recent purchace of a V-plate Omega Elite Estate 3.0 at 1,700 is a good example. You would most likely pay "more" for the 2.8 A8!!!!

ric355
03-11-2006, 07:16 PM
[quote=ric355;160169]

[quote]

It has had 129k miles of bums sitting on it, cut it some slack :cry:

I agree - but facts are facts - the seats look tired. My point being that it's easy to glance at a picture and think oooh that looks nice, when in fact a closer inspection reveals it ain't quite as nice as one thought. There's a whole bunch of reasons why it's only just over 4k and this is one of them. :thumbsup:

luckycolourblue
04-11-2006, 11:52 AM
a Friend had oneof these and it was very nice, reliable and very fast on a long haul. We saw the wrong side of 150 out of it.
It was the fuel consumption that ruined the experience for him, it liked a bit of a drink!

Angelis
04-11-2006, 01:46 PM
I knew someone who had one and he said the maintenace bills were horrific. :thumbsdow

Have you considered an XJS or XJR?