PDA

View Full Version : Car condom

philworrall
09-11-2006, 09:47 PM
OK perhaps not quite but does anyone use a "carcoon" at all.

Do you have any positives or negatives.

Thanks

Phil

GrahamS
09-11-2006, 09:59 PM
I've got one. A member on here is an official Carcoon dealer and can get you one at a good discount :wink3: You need to susbcribe though
http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/payments.php

Pro's Keeps the car nice and dry during the winter months

Con's: If you have an extremely small garage, like mine, it can be a bit of a pain unzipping it and securing it to the roof beams. Takes me about 15 minutes to get the car out., With a decent sized garage I'm sure this can be done in less than 5 minutes

rizlaneil1000
09-11-2006, 10:14 PM
OK perhaps not quite but does anyone use a "carcoon" at all.

Do you have any positives or negatives.

Thanks

Phil

my garage is fairly small, ive found that 4 bungees do the trick then you can stor it on top of itself when unzipped (if that makes sense) up in the air.

it dries the car out superbly in minutes by using the heat off of the engine (let it cool for a bit though unless you want a patch of ducktape on yours like i now have!!..DOH!)

my garage is a prefab thing and lets in the damp like you wouldnt believe... no point getting a de-humidifier...id just be de-humidifying hull!!! i have bought a 1kw fan heater that comes on 15 mins every hour from about 2100hrs tilll 0600, that goes off on its own thermostat anyway after about 3 minutes so isnt using a lot of leccy.... and its piece of mind knowing that shes now dry AND slightly warm!!!

rizlaneil1000
09-11-2006, 10:15 PM
forgot to say

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to the carcoon!!!

stevew
09-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Here you go :thumbsup:

Gimme Fuel
09-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Here you go :thumbsup:

Cool..
But tell me, doest it use a lot of power/electrisity???

GrahamS
09-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Cool..
But tell me, doest it use a lot of power/electrisity???
yeah loads. According to the official website they cost around 2p a day to run :laugh:

panterasteve
09-11-2006, 10:58 PM
cant stop pizzin myself at those pics:grin: look like michael jacksons oxygen tent:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gimme Fuel
09-11-2006, 10:59 PM
yeah loads. According to the official website they cost around 2p a day to run :laugh:

well, is that true??? more or less???
Does it get hot in there, or is it just to keep the moist air to penetrate?
I really need to figure something out for my car, our winters are much colder than your's so I'll a few +degrees in there as well!

Gimme Fuel
09-11-2006, 11:00 PM
cant stop pizzin myself at those pics:grin: look like michael jacksons oxygen tent:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Could it BE more true???

GrahamS
09-11-2006, 11:01 PM
well, is that true??? more or less???
Does it get hot in there, or is it just to keep the moist air to penetrate?
I really need to figure something out for my car, our winters are much colder than your's so I'll a few +degrees in there as well!
Don't know really as I run mine off a battery. It lasts for nearly 2 weeks so it can't use that much power

Doesn't increase the temperature at all, it just seals the car off from the atmosphere and keeps a stream of air flowing over it.

This is what stops moisture from settling on your car

Gimme Fuel
09-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Doesn't increase the temperature at all, it just seals the car off from the atmosphere and keeps a stream of air flowing over it.
:thumbsdow

GrahamS
09-11-2006, 11:09 PM
:thumbsdow
Temperature isn't a problem. It's mainy when the car is colder than the surrounding air(usually in the mornings when the air warming up but your car is still cold from the night before) that moisture collects on the car

Gimme Fuel
09-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Temperature isn't a problem. It's mainy when the car is colder than the surrounding air(usually in the mornings when the air warming up but your car is still cold from the night before) that moisture collects on the car

ya I know dude, but I feel kinda sorry for her you know....being parked out in that cold, dark garage :cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

philworrall
12-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Apparently it is all to do with stabalisation and stopping the surrounding air reaching the dew point.:sleeping:

I got one and it seems to work well.:dude:

I like the bungie idea, it will make installation and removal much easier.:thumbsup:

rizlaneil1000
13-11-2006, 12:56 AM
mate...bunjees are the way forward!!

maybe carcoon will start adding them to the base design in the future?

the small heater also works really well, only a very small heater is required to keep it warm..and to keep the low running cost down....

rizlaneil1000
13-11-2006, 12:03 PM
message particularly for stevew...

would i be wasting money on getting one of the red ferrari indoor covers?

will that counteract the purpose if the carcoon do you think??

philworrall
25-03-2007, 09:24 AM
If you have a carcoon you will not need an indoor cover. The carcoon filters the air very well which stops any dust reachig the car. I usually take my car out every 2 to 3 weeks and find that it is just as clean and dust free when I take it out as when it went in.

HTH

Phil

rizlaneil1000
25-03-2007, 09:35 AM
cheers phil:thumbsup:

carcoon does a great job of keeping the car in the same state as it went in....spotless!
just love the look of the red ferrari covers with the horse on the bonnet!

stevew
25-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Sorry Neil, must have missed your original post afew months ago.I don't like the idea of covers that touch the car, you don't know wether they have picked up grit or something that will scratch the paint when you pull the cover across the car, besides it's much nicer to look at your car without:grin: :thumbsup:

Fraccie
25-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Carcoons are great, but don`t forget Steve, once a year, take the bloody car out of it....:thumbsup:

rizlaneil1000
25-03-2007, 07:47 PM
no worries steve mate..

when the car is in the carcoon all nice and dry and is heaving it down outside its like its been frozen in suspedned animation!!

stevew
25-03-2007, 07:50 PM
no worries steve mate..

when the car is in the carcoon all nice and dry and is heaving it down outside its like its been frozen in suspedned animation!!

and don't you feel all happy and content knowing that it is nice and dry:thumbsup:

Fraccie
25-03-2007, 07:53 PM
and don't you feel all happy and content knowing that it is nice and dry:thumbsup:

I missed a unique oppurtunity last year, taking a photo of Steve`s car with, shock,horror and damnation, real rain on it.....:cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

stevew
25-03-2007, 07:55 PM
I missed a unique oppurtunity last year, taking a photo of Steve`s car with, shock,horror and damnation, real rain on it.....:cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

It'll never happen again:tongue3: :tongue3: :wink3: :wink3: :grin: :grin:

MalcH
25-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I fancy a carcoon for mine. Garage is tight though. The circuit breakers and earth leakage consumer unit is in the garage. When a bulb blows in the house the circuit breaker inevitably goes. I can get around the car but it is difficult, if I have a great ruddy condom around the car I ain't sure I will be able to switch the power back on without moving the Pasty and my wife's MX-5.

As you can see not much room, pictures taken with phone.

Picture from front I added because it looks like a Mondial GTS :laugh::laugh:

Fraccie
25-03-2007, 10:29 PM
What is that black grommet type thing for on the passenger rear wing Malc...:huh:

MalcH
25-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Pass mate, it has always been there.