Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "older" 348 model (dis)advantages

Name
    Gavin

Default "older" 348 model (dis)advantages

Hi,
    I understand they changed the battery position and did some suspension or track changes to the 348 in 92 (correct me if I'm wrong!). But what in real terms are the implications of this?
    if the car has (or is going to have) 355 wheels, and hence spacers, is the track problem going to be an issue?
    how inconvenient is the rear battery? can I still get to it through the engine bay?

Also, any other changes I should be aware of? I have scoured the348.com btw ... great site!!

Oh yes, the other thing, have found an example where the owner appears to have been quite up front and shown 2 areas of blistering of the paintwork. one under the mirror (on the door), and one appears to be on the front wing.
    Now they don't look major, yet!, but should this be considered a deciding factor (ie only get worse) or should I see it as a bargaining chip and be able to get it repaired so it wont return? how much do you think I'd be looking at for a small 40mm by 5mm strip of corrosion repaier?

so many questions, not enough time!!

Name
    Bob

Mine is '94 - with regards to the battery I haven't even seen the thing yet! I don't know about the tracking changes made but on mine the steering is very sensitive. Sometimes if I just take my hands of the wheel (slightly) the car will follow the imperfections and indents in the road to the point where it will to an extent follow corners (long sweeping ones). Most touchy thing I ever driven!

I wouldn't worry about a few blisters too much, mine has a few, one on the front drivers wing, on drivers door and on door sills. I'm going to get it sorted later this year but I think the moral of the story is Ferraris don't like water very much!

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

No, don't worry about the pre/post 92 thing. Too much is made of it. Just look for a good one. In the rear battery cars the battery is in the engine compartment and relatively easy to get to. In the later cars it is behind the front wheel arch and you need to remove the wheel and squeeze it in and out via a little hatch thing barely bigger than the battery. In either case there are terminals in the engine compartment though so you could jump start if you ever needed to relatively easily.

Jonathan

Edit: PS. The Spider was only intruced in '93 and all were effectively to later 348 spec as regards batteries, suspension etc.

Name
    cgt

I agree with the wise old sage above. I have had both a very early example
    ('89) and a very late car from the last three months of production. Not much difference, obviously apart from slightly more power on the GTB/GTS/Spider. I had a few reliability issues on the early car but that was when it was still relatively young, all those bugs should have been ironed out at this age.

The steering is the best thing about the 348!

348KYD is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Nick

Mine is a 1990 car so rear battery model. The battery is easily accessible through the rear hood. The track was 50mm wider on later cars - I have Hill spacers on mine (25mm each side) and did notice an improvement when I fitted them. I'm also told that I have later type coil springs, so these must have changed at some point too.

Re. blisters / stone chips - I have a few, but the car is 17 years old and I would be amazed if it didn't. If you're looking for a show car then you might not want it, but if you want to use it (like I do) no problem IMO.

stevew is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Expert
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 348KYD View Post
    The track was 50mm wider on later cars - I have Hill spacers on mine (25mm each side) and did notice an improvement when I fitted them. I'm also told that I have later type coil springs, so these must have changed at some point too.
    The track is the same on all the models, the only ones that had the 50mm increase in track were the very, very last US Spider models.This wasn't done with any supension mods it was done by increasing the thickness of the centre part of the wheel by 25mm per side.Just the same as fitting 25mm spacers on each side.This was only done to the rear.

Name
    Trond

Interesting regarding that the 50mm increased track, was only done on the rear originally.

I have a 1991 348 and it has 25mm spacers on each side back, non at the front.

I have consider to put spacers on the front as well. Since I do feel loosing bit control, when I drive it very agressive(do gain control in a splitt of an second tough). So I tough putting spacers on the front woud help me on this issue, I might be wrong?

348KYD is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by F348 View Post
    Interesting regarding that the 50mm increased track, was only done on the rear originally.

I have consider to put spacers on the front as well. Since I do feel loosing bit control, when I drive it very agressive(do gain control in a splitt of an second tough). So I tough putting spacers on the front woud help me on this issue, I might be wrong?
    I've got 15mm spacers on the front of mine, but only for appearance, I don't think they do anything for the handling. Also, if you're giving it some round corners you can get contact between the tyre and the arch, so be careful, especially on track days.

Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by F348 View Post

I dont have front spacers on, indeed i don't know any of the hillclimbers in 348s who do. and if ti worked they would! The extra at the back is proven. perhaps a little more negative camber may help you, but get it done properly with perhaps corner weighting session as well. I find tyre pressures on the 348 are everything as well.

Name
    Trond

thanks, IŽll definitely check the tyre pressure, havn`t checked that for ages. But, I do have different tiers in the front then the back. I have Bridgestone expedia S-01 in front and Potenza S-03 back. I do think I have read some where that the F348 can be a little nervous if you have different tires on it, might be that effect I am feeling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast