Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F355 Buying advice

Name
    Nick Jones

Default F355 Buying advice

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get my first Ferrari and am interested in a F355 spider. However, I don't have a garage and am worried about leaving it outside in all weathers. Would I be better off with a Berlinetta? Is it just an insane idea to buy one of these without having a garage to house it anyway?!

Does anyone have any general buying advice? What should I be looking to spend for a nice example? What kind of mileage is a good mileage to buy at?

Cheers,

Nick

Name
    jos

Drove past a lovely grigio spider that seems to live on the street near Belgrave Square the other day

As to buying a 355 presumably you've read and digested www.the355.com

After that there's a link in resources here to a buyers guide

From then on there's about a million threads covering this subject almost all available for the price of pressing the 'search' button - the others may be in the subscripton section which'll only cost you a tenner

There's even a nice lhd spider just listed in the for sale section here

Any specific questions just ask away

Welcome and enjoy the drive (and the search.....)

Name
    Ken

Hi Nick and welcome to the forum. 355 brilliant beutifull car

There will be plenty on here that will advise on cost, mileage etc.

Regarding garaging... well I wouldnt leave mine out (in all weathers). Lots of people like to look at Ferraris and most just look but some will want to clamber all over it and a few unfortunately have bad intentions. I caught a youngster once trying to pick the badge off the front of my one whilst it was in a public car park. Try to garage it IMO.

If its a case of not having one at all or leaving one out thats a harder call.

Good luck with the search and I really hope you get one.

Ken

Name
    Nick Jones

Thanks for the advice guys, I have indeed been right through www.the355.com, very interesting stuff.

I will be keeping the car in my driveway rather than on the street, so I am not so worried about people fiddling with it as I am about water getting into the roof after long periods outside. Has anyone experienced problems with the roofs on spiders?

Is there much difference in handling characteristics between the spider and the Berlinetta?

Cheers,

Nick

Name
    Simon

If I lived in Belgrave Square I would leave mine outside.....2 a penny round there BUT if I lived in a part of London that was usually on fire.....thats another matter

Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by jonesn View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I have indeed been right through www.the355.com, very interesting stuff.

I will be keeping the car in my driveway rather than on the street, so I am not so worried about people fiddling with it as I am about water getting into the roof after long periods outside. Has anyone experienced problems with the roofs on spiders?

Is there much difference in handling characteristics between the spider and the Berlinetta?

Cheers,

Nick
    Just a few pointers for you
    1)Somebody at some point will get into your drive and vandalise it in London, unless its completely out of sight. Its just something that Ferrari's attract in London Im afraid. So buy a cover.

2)Yes my 355 Spider hood did leak. Ive had experience of another car that leaked as well. Another reason to buy a cover. In terms of other problems with the roof, oh yes, mine was relatively reliable but I still had to get it bled a couple of time, had the seat jam a couple of times, it would not move at all several times. Just comes with the territory of having a really old and by today's standards poorly designed system.

3)I cant tell any difference between the spider and B in terms of handling. I think it is just in the heads of the B drivers. Unless of course you are a seriously proffesional racer.

Good luck! My Favourite Ferrari by far :-)

Name
    Nick Jones

Great. thanks for the advice. Can you recommend a cover?

Nick

WillW is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430
    Name

Would you be able to rent garage near you? You should be able to save money from insurance and at least I would not like to park Fezza outside even under cover.

Name
    355Chris

Almost all of them leak, so it would not be terribly wise to leave it outside. In fact the manual says that the "roof is not entirely waterproof!".

Plus remember that they are a magnate to vandalism.

Also they rust!

However, I had a 355 Berlinetta for a while and used it as a daily driver for a month in February and it didnt leak at all and gave me no grief whatsoever. Much more practical.

I have a Spider now and absolutely love the car, but wouldnt use it as a daily, nor in the rain!

Name
    Keith

HI I think the other replies cover most of your points. I have recently brought a 355 spider and I can highly recommend it.Dont forget to get a pre purchase inspection by a recognised indy etc and good luck with the search.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast