Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late 360 or early 430

Name
    wally

Default Late 360 or early 430

I am intending to replace 355 spider with a late 360 or early 430 but can not decide if the cost differance of about 35k is justified can anyone help .

KenC is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by wlracing View Post
    I am intending to replace 355 spider with a late 360 or early 430 but can not decide if the cost differance of about 35k is justified can anyone help .
    Yes, I had one of the last 360 s and now have a 430. Upgrade cost 60k. Worth it, you bet it is .

Name
    wally

Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post
    Yes, I had one of the last 360 s and now have a 430. Upgrade cost 60k. Worth it, you bet it is .
    Hi Ken,

Can you say why and is 430 F1 the way to go as do not think 360 F1 is that good .

Name
    Douglas

The 430 is just a much better car better stability, more power, better everything

And I used to have a 360 before you ask

For 30k its a no brainer

early 430 or 360CS now thats a harder question

KenC is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Ken

Hi Ken,

Can you say why and is 430 F1 the way to go as do not think 360 F1 is that good .
    The 430 has a greater sense of ocassion, from the moment you open the door to find a better interior, when you hit the start button, hear the far superior exhast note and move off in a car that feels more solid and more planted to the road.

I love the F1 box, having had a manual 360, so that contributes to my comment.

Having initially been sceptical of the 430 styling I now feel it is much better, more aggressive and attracts more admiring glances.

On the move the standard exhast note is great

Name
    eli

Am a big Modena fan...but:

The 430 is very much more advanced on the 360 than the 360 was on the 355, I think.

The 360 was an amazing chassis, new driveable torquey engine etc...and more comfortable but the 430 is all that on steroids

the chassis may be the same (more or less, I think) but is beefed up and more stable as a result...the engine is a new design and even more torquey and the diff and gearbox etc is latest technology

so you can justify the difference for sure.

I also think the 360 feels a bit dated inside now, compared to 430 trim and the looks have grown on me like most people

will you be doing much track time in it, is it a daily runner or will it be just for weekends and meets?

Name
    wally

Quote Originally Posted by 911elias View Post
    Am a big Modena fan...but:

The 430 is very much more advanced on the 360 than the 360 was on the 355, I think.

The 360 was an amazing chassis, new driveable torquey engine etc...and more comfortable but the 430 is all that on steroids

the chassis may be the same (more or less, I think) but is beefed up and more stable as a result...the engine is a new design and even more torquey and the diff and gearbox etc is latest technology

so you can justify the difference for sure.

I also think the 360 feels a bit dated inside now, compared to 430 trim and the looks have grown on me like most people

will you be doing much track time in it, is it a daily runner or will it be just for weekends and meets?
    Thanks for info ,will not be used on track as I have constant access to proper race cars will be to replace F355 done 12000 miles in 3 years .

stimo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Banned user
    Name
    a

Not thought about a 360 CS? I'd have a CS every single day over a 430

360trev is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    360trev

Without question the F430 is an evolution of the 360. The interior is miles better, the handling feels easier to access and the power is a big improvement. Sadly for me the looks are a downgrade, more Japanese inspired (the F430's side skirts are directly lifted of the Honda NSX concept car!!! - exactly the same!).

From a driving perspective the F430 has a computer controlled electronic differential to get the power down on the road and improved chassis dynamics. It also has more power (approx 80hp) which improves driveability with more mid range torque making the car feel rapid in any gear, any rev range. Its a great drivers car.

Handling
    Personally I always believed that the 360 had suspension that was a little bit too soft really leading to it feeling a little ragged on the limit. It should have been at least 10-15% stiffer even in road car trim (non sports). Admittedly this helps the novice know exactly how much grip they have left. For accessibility reasons the front end washes out (understeers) earlier into a corner to let a driver know they are pushing the limits of grip than strictly necessary. This handling characteristic is actually easy to dial out with re-configured suspension geometry if your used to driving race cars.

Also 360 Challenge garages like JMH Ferrari (near Manchester) offer upgrade packages with upto 30% stiffer and lowered springs and full geometry reset (tested on a track by one of their experienced drivers) to massively improve handling by forging a little bit more comfort.

The F430's electronics help the car to feel more stable under heavy braking and also allows a novice driver to feel much more in control while making the car more accessible. As a result its percieved by most as having a more competant chassis, easier to drive faster with much more confidence than trying the same in the 360.

On the limit pushing the car very hard the 360 feels brilliant actually but it does require more knowledge of car control to drive quicky and you must use the stiffer sports mode. Still, considering its mid-engine layout it is easy enough to catch the tail (if you know what to look out for through the steering wheel!) and is a very enjoyable car to drive quickly - but it can bite back! If you don't know what lift off oversteer is keep the ASR on!

Both cars feel very frustratingly softly sprung with quite a bit of noticeable body roll into corners (showing the genuine road car origins) compared to the chassis setup on the 360 Challenge Stradale (and now also the 430 Scuderia).

If your really a driving enthusiast the 430S and 360CS appeal more than the base model 360 and 430's. Both are great cars and it all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day to the asthetics, price and how the car will be used. You won't be dissapointed in either car.

Good luck
    Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
    When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.
    Henry Royce

Name
    wally

Thanks for the replys but having raced single seaters and sports cars in Uk ,Europe and USA over the last 35 years I prefer my road cars to be more refined . The very best handling road car is not anywhere near that of a proper race car so discounted CS .

Am I correct in thinking that 360/430 are quicker but less involving to drive than the better looking ( IMO ) 355 ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast