Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GT4 rear suspension/engine bay refurb

rmdferrari is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Banned user
    Name
    Richard

Default GT4 rear suspension/engine bay refurb

Firstly an admission.... a friend who loves doing this kind of work and is far better than me did the majority of it.

The suspension arms had been looking a little rusty in places and there was a general "scuzziness" about the engine bay so we decided to rub down, prime then paint anything we could get to.

VHT paint used for the exhaust (again), bulkhead between engine bay and boot and airbox. "Jalpac" black used for chassis and suspension parts. Initialy concerned about the gloss finnish of the Jalpac, but it really sets off the matt black/ali parts elswhere in the engine. Inner arches also resprayed.

Nice touch my friend thought of was to thoroughly clean the chassis rail where the "chassis & engine numbers" are stamped. This was then masked whilst painting then two coats of laquer applied.

While it was up on axle stands, treated it to some lovely fresh 10/40 semi-synthetic and a new filter. Also refitted the airbox (painted) and filter.

(bit OTT on the amount of photos, but you can see the progress in them)
    Attached Images Attached Images                                                    

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Good job Rich......

Latex gloves though,i mean, come on............
    40°52'31.17"N............. 29°20'25.48"E

Name
    Dan

Excellent work Rich

Might I make a suggestion? As a finishing touch you remove the restrictor plate in the airbox - the bit next to the air filter that has the 3 circular holes in it. It makes for better induction sound and throttle response. There's a whole Topic about it on the other site.

stevew is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Expert
    Name
    Steve

Looks good Rich ................. latex gloves, very southern poofta like

rmdferrari is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Banned user
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 208 GT4 View Post
    Excellent work Rich

Might I make a suggestion? As a finishing touch you remove the restrictor plate in the airbox - the bit next to the air filter that has the 3 circular holes in it. It makes for better induction sound and throttle response. There's a whole Topic about it on the other site.
    Dan, when I re-fitted the box I realised how heavy it was!!! I mentioned to Chris that you'd cut out that bit in the air feed pipe... and I should ask what and how much you'd removed. So I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    Looks good Rich ................. latex gloves, very southern poofta like
    Who wants "Hands that do dishes?" .... I'm more in the Nanette Newman camp of hand care.

Name
    Dan

Rich, I removed the plate I've outlined in yellow, plus all the glassfibre wadding behind it - see pic. I left the 3 perforated tubes in place as they looked like being quite a lot more difficult to remove for little increase in flow area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    mike

Looks much better Richard good work!!

I see you have a radiator in your garage to keep the GT4 warm, you woudnt
    find a Ferrari up north treated so well radiator even doubles as an oil prewarmer
    as well i see

Well done, its so rewarding working on your own car? But I have to agree about the gloves!

Name
    Richard

Mike, well spotted for the pre-warmed oil. It's a neighbour's garage and his Lotus Carlton (9,000miles ) sits there in 70 degrees all year round.

Dan..... I'll take a look at yours, dosen't seem obvious where it detaches from.

Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Harmitc View Post
    Well done, its so rewarding working on your own car? But I have to agree about the gloves!
    Thanks, Bernard but also... for the gloves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast