Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 355 Jacking point and lower sill removal

Name
    Rob

Default 355 Jacking point and lower sill removal

Would a kind soul enlighten me on where I should position a trolley jack to lift the car (for rear wheel removal)

Also, is removal of the lower side sill quite easy?

Advice appreciated

Rob

Name
    Dave McGuire

Rob,the jacking point is approx at the mid door position and is in a channel that is evident if You look under the car,no idea about the lower sill.

Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by matkat
    Rob,the jacking point is approx at the mid door position and is in a channel that is evident if You look under the car,no idea about the lower sill.
    Hi Dave thanks for the info on the jacking point

Anyone else know about the sill removal ? Malcom, you out there ?

Hud is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Rob

Some trolley jacks wont go under either due to the height of them. I remember i had to park my on a slight incline to get the back end high enough to get the jack under. some of them do have removable plates i believe.

Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Hud90n
    Some trolley jacks wont go under either due to the height of them. I remember i had to park my on a slight incline to get the back end high enough to get the jack under. some of them do have removable plates i believe.
    another good point shall have to take a gander. If not, then do I just use a standard jack, I'm sure one is not supplied with the car?

Name
    Dave McGuire

Rob I used a small scissor jack that I had bought from Halfords years before went under no prob.

GrahamS is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Admin dude
    Name
    GrandmasterG

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLobster
    another good point shall have to take a gander. If not, then do I just use a standard jack, I'm sure one is not supplied with the car?
    I always get round this problem by driving the nearest wheel onto a fairly thick piece of wood.

It raises the body by another half an inch off the ground which is just enough to get the jack under

Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by matkat
    Rob I used a small scissor jack that I had bought from Halfords years before went under no prob.
    Ok Dave, thanks. . .

Name
    Malcolm W

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLobster
    Hi Dave thanks for the info on the jacking point

Anyone else know about the sill removal ? Malcom, you out there ?
    Never removed a sill myself, but it looks pretty easy from the picture, once you have removed the "kick-plate" (number 13) it will reveal the screws that hold down the sill.

The kick-plate is glued down and will not come off without causing damage to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS
    I always get round this problem by driving the nearest wheel onto a fairly thick piece of wood.

It raises the body by another half an inch off the ground which is just enough to get the jack under

Nice one Graham, saves splashing the cash out on another jack. Or, I'll just nab the one out of the wife's car, she'll never need to use it anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast