Thread: ADVICE ON NEW OWNER 348 SPECIALE

Name
    348 SPECIALE

Question ADVICE ON NEW OWNER 348 SPECIALE

Hello

Soon I will have my first FERRARI 348 SPECIALE 1994 and as you can imagine I am both happy and stressed ( I am sure you know the feeling).

I have so far read the service technical manual which is a bit outdated when it comes to oil and sparks etc. I believe theres nothing compared to first hand advice.

Any help is greately appreciated

Some topics of concern:

1. Do I need to warm up the car prior to driving (water and oil temperature readings)?

2. What can I personally do or check beyond the periodic services to maintain it better and avoid problems?

3. Any specific problems that 348 have that I should be aware of?

Many thanks

Alex

Name
    julian

Hello Alex, well done and welcome to CS.

In answer to your questions.

1. You can drive the car from cold however it is recommended that you donít exceed 4000rpm until the oil temperature gauge has started to move. You may also find that second gear will be difficult to engage until the gearbox oil has warmed up.

2. Just do all the usual checks for any car, nothing special. Oil, water, brake fluid, and tire pressure. Also regularly check for leaks under the car and try to use the Air con at least once when you use the car (probably not a problem in Cyprus).

3. 348ís are generally a lot stronger than people give them credit for. Specific problems are poor electrics, especially in the air-con / heater area and the door connections, and plastic interior parts which degrade and become sticky. Electric windows are also often slow due to age. Mechanically, worn suspension parts and badly aligned suspension can be a problem (The 348 has fully adjustable suspension just like a racecar) and keep an eye out for leaks around the rear flywheel. Finally, keep up with the scheduled servicing and get it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Good Luck

Julian

Name
    AL

Quote Originally Posted by LYKOS View Post
    3. Any specific problems that 348 have that I should be aware of?
    You may find that you return to where you parked it to find young girls laid across your bonnet taking photographs ... no, really

Apart from that, just what Jules said, although I tend to keep mine below 3000 revs until the OIL temp needle starts moving (usually 5-10 mins depending on ambient temp).

As for second gear, just go 1-3 for the first 5 mins.

Enjoy

Name
    348 SPECIALE

Dear Jules and AL

Thank you for the tips.

Hope it won't give me much trouble...

Name
    julian

Quote Originally Posted by burriana View Post
    You may find that you return to where you parked it to find young girls laid across your bonnet taking photographs ... no, really
    Happened to me at the last Tatton Park car show. Fortunately SteveW and Ade intervened and she legged it.

Cheaky B***h!.

Good Luck

Julian

Name
    jos

There's also Sy's sites full of advice etc - not sure which address is best currently

http://www.theferrari348.com/forum/

http://www.club348.com/

Name
    AL

Quote Originally Posted by madjules View Post
    Happened to me at the last Tatton Park car show. Fortunately SteveW and Ade intervened and she legged it.
    mine wasn't too bad ... it was down in Nerja and she was wearing a bikini so nothing to scratch the paintwork