Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: running costs for 430 and Gallardo?

Name
    formerly dougalthespaniel

Default running costs for 430 and Gallardo?

Just starting to think about changing the 360. But I do have some doubts (heresy, I know) as to whether the 430 really is that much better than a 360 and/or whether to look at a Gallardo.

In some ways the 430 obviously is better than a 360. It has more grunt, so will always beat a 360 in a drag race, and it comes with better F1, optional ceramic brakes, etc. But on track I'm always struck by the fact that they are not that much quicker than a 360 despite all these advantages. And the looks are practically identical, plus the interior is very similar (some switches in a different place, etc).

Advantage of the Gallardo is that it's a whole new ball game. But how expensive/inconvenient is it to keep one of these running? Jonny5 said his needed a whole new engine on an old thread. Plus there are quite a lot of indys + dealers who can look after a 430, but hardly anyone who knows much about Lambos (at least this is my impression). You also hear horror stories about Lambo e-gear clutch being 3.5k minimum to fix, etc.

Name
    Xmun

The one thing I know is that the Gallardo (without e shift) eats up clutches if you are a bit heavy footed. A mate of mine changed his 2 times in less than a year ... I want one !

Name
    J Heitmann

Every customer of ours with a Gallardo has told us of clutches replaced at least every 4k, they also tell me that they have heard of people going as much as 6k on a clutch but this is just hearsay.

Our last client, a well known footballer managed 1800m on his last clutch, the car now sits in the garage doing nothing and not being driven as he says "I cant be bothered with it now"
    He now drives this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name

Hmm. I have done 12 000 miles and 9 track days on the existing F1 clutch, and at the last service it apparently had 45% left. (I have this suspicion that stop-start driving in traffic is actually harder on it than track driving, but I have no idea whether that's right).

But apart from the clutch which costs a fortune and lasts 5 minutes, what have the Romans ever done for us? Sorry, I meant to say: what other Gallardo running costs are there to bear in mind?

Name
    Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by 360Jay View Post
    Every customer of ours with a Gallardo has told us of clutches replaced at least every 4k, they also tell me that they have heard of people going as much as 6k on a clutch but this is just hearsay.

Our last client, a well known footballer managed 1800m on his last clutch, the car now sits in the garage doing nothing and not being driven as he says "I cant be bothered with it now"
    He now drives this:
    Just shows that they can't drive

I've done 13,000 miles on mine and it's only 13% worn

One of the guys on Pistonheads is currently on over 30,000 miles on his origional 05 clutch

Name
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by 360Jay View Post

He now drives this:
    Tasteful

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

Quote Originally Posted by Nero 575 View Post
    Tasteful
    ahahaha!

Name
    chris heeley

Never had a problem with clutch`s on either of mine

Name

... but apart from the clutch ... [nudges back to OP]

Name
    Ferdi Pacelli

I went from a Gallardo to a 360 as i preffered the feel of the Ferrari, the Lambo has a very different driving position & the Audi switchgear is annoying for a 100k+ car.
    However the looks of the Lambo are FANTASTIC so it really comes down to whats important to you.
    In terms of running costs a 430 or Gallardo would be v similar IMO
    Get out & drive a 430 & Lambo back to back & im sure that will help you decide..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast