Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Advice

Murph7355 is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Murph

I'm not talking about the paint. That's the known issue.

5k can disappear in a heartbeat on these cars. Full service, set of shocks, clutch, pair of tyres, new suspension ball joints, new engine after an uncared for car throws a rod....

I'm not saying that this car has all of these things. But if the owner can't be bothered sorting out the very easy, cheap fixes that would make the car looked cared for prior to sale, what else has been "left for now"?

There are too many of these cars on the market to accept sub-standard. And the best advice that is always repeated on this forum is to buy the very best example you can as a "cheap" car will end up costing you more in the long run. Only ignore this if you have mates in the trade, access to cheap parts and/or can do the work yourself. And even then, be sure you know the marque.

Name
    Xmun

new engine after an uncared for car throws a rod....
    That is really really scary!!!!

The rest i.e. service, shocks etc etc are consumables that sooner or later need to be replace what ever car you buy.

On my 348 I bought all new Brake Disks and pads, clutch master cylinder, Service kit, Indicator, Clutch, e/w switches & Bezzles (not neccesary but I thought might as well), Spark plugs, K&N Air filter, wheel centres, extra alloy, exhaust braket, front/rear hood & glove box struts bla bla bla and a few other cosmetic bits and bops like car cover, Hill Engineering anodised gear knob & lock knob thingies, the silver rear prancing horse etc etc.

I got most of the parts from Dave @ Scuderia ...

I service the car at the local ferrari authorised person (that's bloody expensive- will probably go to Sicily next time)

I will start on the body / paint work soon.

I bought the car for about 18,000 less than the usual market value and have spent approx 5,500 total to get it to where it is now. I still need to spend about 3,000 on body work but I'd still be miles ahead in costs.

Issues which still need sorting out are a Set of tyres (most probably Toyo T1R's approx 800) and the A/C is nowhere near as powerfull as I expect it to be but I read somewhere that all 348 A/C's are crappy.

P.S. I had an 11,000 restoration budget.... so it was already planned
    Last edited by ACE; 30-09-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Name
    Lee Pearson

Thanks for all the info but still a bit confused on what to do.My heart says buy a car which I have no doubts about and one which I can drive and be proude of, not telling people that its going to be sorted next year (its a Ferrari not a mondeo )
    I will keep looking around,looked on the websites and there are some well priced cars out there.

My wife and I are going to look make a weekend of Ferrari 360 serching and see whats about,if nothing its a weekend away from the kids.

Lee Pearson

Name
    Candellara

Quote Originally Posted by 360 Lee View Post

Thanks for all the info but still a bit confused on what to do.My heart says buy a car which I have no doubts about and one which I can drive and be proude of, not telling people that its going to be sorted next year (its a Ferrari not a mondeo )
    I will keep looking around,looked on the websites and there are some well priced cars out there.

My wife and I are going to look make a weekend of Ferrari 360 serching and see whats about,if nothing its a weekend away from the kids.

Lee Pearson
    Lee,

I would thoroughly recommend that you view James car on SOR at KHPC. There are many many cars for sale at the moment but a poor one can cost lots and lots of money to put right.

I can honestly say that James' 360 F1 is immaculate and has spent it's life being cherished (even the tool kits have been carefully wrapped in plastic to protect them by it's previous owner)

KHPC have known the car for years and was owned by a friend of the owner of KHPC (a prominent member of FOC).

Apologies, for the slight sales pitch but i can personally vouch for the car as i helped James look for a 360 for weeks and weeks until we came across this one. This would be an excellent car for 45k considering that the car needs nothing. All of the common 360 niggles are done - all front ball joints, F1 pump, brand new clutch etc etc

I would recommend that you go to KHPC, view it and drive it

Name
    Lee Pearson

I will contact him

Cheers

Name
    Joe

Lee - Too much is made of searching for the perfect ferrari. I had my 360F1 delivered to me a year ago. Bought unseen, doubt the warranty was worth anything either, and I still dont have any warranty to this day.

BUT it had FFSH and had come out of Statstones 6 weeks prior and I spoke to the previous private owner. It was described as mint, which I knew would be boolshhit. But when it arrived it was in VGC (had a few stonechips). Ive driven the car everday since and all ive spent is 1k on parts and 1300 on a service at AEP. Oh and 4k on new Stradale wheels and tyres

Just get one, make sure it has perfect history and doesnt look a dog and dont pay over 45k in this market, simple as. If its tatty then forget it, thats a sure sign it has been abused, walk away, there are 250 360s for sale anyway.

Name
    Gavin

Joe
    Shall we make that 251 for sale when you find the perfect 430 (for 75K of course)

Name
    Joe

yep although with the global credit crunch ive revised my budget to 69k

Name
    Chris Cook

Hi Lee having recently bought a 360 myself I was also surprised at some of the poor condition of these cars.

I made the call that I would pay up (10K more than I first thought) to get everything I wanted - red/crema, f1, FFSH, low K's, excellent condition, etc.

I figured.. I am only going to get my first ferrari once so better make it a good one.

Good Luck !

Name
    Chris Murray

Quote Originally Posted by 360 Lee View Post

Lee Pearson
    Lee - have you seen the California Blue 360M Man at JCT600 Leeds?
    48k gets you:
    10,000 Miles
    5 Owners
    FFSH (serviced 2k ago)
    Xenon/Rear Challenge

Talk to Tony Dhesi and see what it looks like!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast