Thread: 456 Modificato differences ?

Name
    Dom

Default 456 Modificato differences ?

Hi Chaps (and chapess')

OK, following some sound advice on here (thanks to all who helped) I am now down to 3 possible cars but I can't seem to get a straight answer on what the "modificato" bit means on the later cars. Obviously some changes but what were they please and is it desirable to have the GTM over the GT ?

Still can't make my mind up about the manual / auto thing either Will probably have a manual I reckon.

Thanks

Dom

Name
    Howard

Try this link:

http://www.the456.com/index.html

Externally, the big changes are the larger grill/mouth and the deletion of the bonnet top air vents (shame I like these a lot). I think the rear underbody spoiler is fixed for the M rather than the GT's moving item.

Internally some cosmetic changes which are IMO worthwhile improvements. I think the GT interior is a little dated.

Apparently there were a number of improvements to the electronics

I think the cylinder firing order is different also

Hope this helps. There are a couple of 456 buyers guides out on the net which will give you more detail.

Bottom line for me is that I like the GT exterior best and the GTM interior best!

Mine is a Blue/tan manual GT

Howard

Name
    Dom

Thanks Howard. One of my 3 is a blue/tan GT Manual.

Name
    Ross

I had a '98 456 GTA (non M). If I was to buy another I'd go for the 456M GTA.

The interior is a lot more up to date and the exterior changes have grown on me over the past few years. Also, the changes to the electronics/mechanicals are going to be an improvement over the early cars.

Having said that I had a lot of fun in my car and it proved to be very reliable considering the mileage I did in a relatively short period

Name
    cgt

PM Modificata on here if he doesnt show up in a minute, he is your fountain of all 456 knowledge.

Name
    Mark Hannaford

The M is certainly better to go for in terms of worthwhile changes made.
    You may have heard of window problems on the 456, this was addressed
    on the M and has been virtually eliminated. In addition to the detail changes
    mentioned in the other posts, a number of aerodynamic changes were made,
    the firing order was changed to make a smoother running engine. The Motronic
    system was 2.7 on the 456 but updated to 5.2 on the M. The numbers of cars
    are: 456GT-141, 456GTA-61, 456MGT-33, 456MGTA-136. As you can see, it is
    going to be more difficult to get an MGT. The best place to go is Rardley Motors
    www.rardleymotors.com. Mike Wheeler there has probably sold more 456 and M
    cars in the last 2 years than everyone else put together. See also www.456gt.com.
    A very good site with lots of info.
    Although the electronics are pretty sophisticated (it still remains one of the most
    complex Ferrari's ever built) it is a car to fall in love with and does make a very
    good and reliable daily driver (if you can afford the fuel). Servicing costs are not
    horrendous although you must expect to have a big one every 3 years or so.
    They are better for being used and will reward you with a very satisfying drive.
    Get the buyers guide available on line through the Ferrari Owners Club website

Good Luck

Name
    Dom

Wow, thanks loads Chaps. Lots of good info there.
    Yes, I intend to drive it quite a bit, probably about 5 or 6k miles a year although it will be the second car.
    So looks like the M then, assuming I can find one which suits.;
    As a by-the-by, would the early cars not have had most of the issues sorted by now? Things like windows etc sort of concern me a little if I'm honest.

Name
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by dsolds View Post
    Wow, thanks loads Chaps. Lots of good info there.
    Yes, I intend to drive it quite a bit, probably about 5 or 6k miles a year although it will be the second car.
    So looks like the M then, assuming I can find one which suits.;
    As a by-the-by, would the early cars not have had most of the issues sorted by now? Things like windows etc sort of concern me a little if I'm honest.
    There isn't a permanent fix for the windows. Any fix will (over a varying amount of time) come undone, depending on useage.
    I've also heard of M's needing the windows sorted from time to time - all part of the ownership experience!
    Last edited by ross456; 11-10-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Name
    Dom

Well, one of the 3 has been sold by the look of things so I'm down to 2.
    Definitely going to be a manual and they're both blue so I guess it's going to be blue as well

One is a gorgeous 456m GT and the other an equally gorgeous 456 GT. I think I prefer the interior on the newer model but the older bonnet appeals to me with those lovely vents. Also the older one has a rear seat conversion so the former centre box has become a child seat with pukka seat belts and everything. That would be handy indeed.

Interior colour is a debate with the wife at present. She's loveing the Tan but I see the cream with blue piping as a wee tingle up the spine. Decisions, decisions.

I am guessing it will also come down to the best price I can get for my existing car as well but I can almost feel the wallet pains from the first fill-up already. Yummy.

Thanks to all who have input so far; I just know I'll be back with more questions. But I have spoken to the various "authorities" recommended to me, all of whom were most helpful indeed, and I'm probably going to look at the 2 cars this week. Wish me luck.

Name
    Andy

My 456M GT is up for sale!

It's used and serviced regularly - I've just had the belts done.

See this advert posted on this forum for more details:

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=25031

Get in touch if you want more details.