Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Testarossa.

Name
    Ned Schneebly

Default My new Testarossa.

Well, I've finally taken the plunge in to F-car ownership and bought a Testarossa

I flew down from Edinburgh to London to pick it up on Saturday and was met at Gatwick by the owner. He took the car to a quieter spot and then let me drive the car back to his house, which was about 15-20 mins away.

I have read that a most peoples first impressions of driving a Testarossa are the width of the car, but I was more taken aback by the height of the car - it's so low ! (When I got back to Edinburgh I was sat at the lights behind my wife who was in the Lexus RX300 and she couldn't see me at all in the rear view mirror). The steering is very heavy at low speed, but I was expecting that, the clutch wasn't as heavy as I had anticipated.

Anyway, went through the documents etc and exchanged money, and at about mid-day I started off on my drive back to Edinburgh. Filled the car up with normal unleaded (the seller told me that he filled it up with Optimax every 4-5 fills) and headed onto the M25.

I found the car to be very comfortable on the drive up the road, I wasn't pushing it as the weather wasn't great, wet most of the way. I mostly sat at 70-80 mph in fifth gear, the engine barely idling at around 3000 rpm. Driving like this the car makes for a great cruiser, not too noisy and very comfortable. Drop a gear or two however and the 12 cylinder symphony begins ! What a sound

You do get noticed in the car, many looks and waves - it does feel great. Stopping at service stations en route attracted a lot of attention. Great stuff. The car never missed a beat on the drive up the road, which took just under 9 hours, including breaks. Oil and water temperature and oil pressure were solid as a rock.

Back in town, it's not so friendly due to the heavy steering but you can get away with not having to change gear much at all, it pulls right throughout the rev range.

As it was late when we got back to the house, I didn't try to put the car in the garage until yesterday morning. I had measured the garage and it did fit (it's a single "modern sized" garage) but looking at it sitting outside I wasn't too sure. However it went in without problem (with the aid of my wife) with an inch or two to spare either side and I had to do a "Dukes of Hazard" style exit from the passenger side window as there was no way that I was opening the door and getting out !

Now I know that and I will post some pictures just as soon as I get round to it - I'll have to give the car a wash first.

F car ownership - it feels good (probably until the first service bill comes through!).
    Last edited by JoyZipper; 22-12-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Name
    Candellara

Congratulations Fraser

Excellent Christmas present to yourself

steve f is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Banned user
    Name
    steve

nice to see people are still wanting a proper ferrari with a clutch and a gearbox

Name
    Si

Well done Fraser, do you know that your car was once owned by the most notorious fat man on CS, tho you wont find his name in the log book. Look forward to see the pictures and let's have some interior shots as i've never seen grey leather before

Name
    Xmun

Quote Originally Posted by JoyZipper View Post
    Well, I've finally taken the plunge in to F-car ownership and bought a Testarossa
    Congratulations!! Good way to start. Iconic V12. What colour combo did you get?

I have read that a most peoples first impressions of driving a Testarossa are the width of the car, but I was more taken aback by the height of the car - it's so low !
    They are horrendously wide. Nobody talks about the height because that is normal in most sports cars. So I take it this is the first proper sports car too?

(When I got back to Edinburgh I was sat at the lights behind my wife who was in the Lexus RX300 and she couldn't see me at all in the rear view mirror).
    Learn to stay back from other cars so as to avoid front end damage by some doofus reversing onto you because they look in the rear view mirror and not see anything so they assume it is clear.

You do get noticed in the car, many looks and waves - it does feel great. Stopping at service stations en route attracted a lot of attention.
    Wait till you get people filming/taking photos of you while driving

Now I know that and I will post some pictures just as soon as I get round to it - I'll have to give the car a wash first.
    Yes

F car ownership - it feels good (probably until the first service bill comes through!).
    ... or like most of us here only fall in love more with the car with every mile that goes by. A few folks on here are Testa owners (barabus being the one I know for sure) so you could find a lot of hints and tips about ownership. Also membership into the "Members only" area is only 10 - the best Value for money you will get in relationship to your Ferrari

Good Luck!

Name
    Neil

Congrats,another 12 in the rearNow for another ten quid....

Name
    Ned Schneebly

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Congratulations!! Good way to start. Iconic V12. What colour combo did you get?

Grey/grey

They are horrendously wide. Nobody talks about the height because that is normal in most sports cars. So I take it this is the first proper sports car too?

I've owned sports cars before, mostly BMW - a Z3, a Z4 and recently get rid of a Z1. They really don't comapre though.
    The weather up here today is good - I may venture out...........

Name
    Bob

Well done mate glad you got sorted

Name
    Xmun

I've owned sports cars before, mostly BMW - a Z3, a Z4 and recently get rid of a Z1. They really don't comapre though.
    as I said ....

Name
    Beau

Nice one. Tons of road presence and plenty of torque

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast