Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 348 - end of an era?

Name
    Candellara

Default Ferrari 348 - end of an era?

Whilst their are many that would knock the 348, after driving at Dunsfold.....it got me thinking

The 348 was the last of the "primitive" Ferrari's IMO and i've driven most later models. The feeling the car provides on a short circuit is..........fabulous. No electronics whatsoever to nanny you through corners - nothing! Just man and machine.

The feedback that the 348 and older Ferrari's provide is IMO hard to replicate. Following Jos's 308 and watching his car squirm under braking (as the 348 does) and fighting for traction out of tight bends is sensory excellence - this no longer exists?

I fear that the watching of the temps / oil pressure, nursing the car very quickly, the smell of the brakes, clutch in the newer more refined cars - has gone?

No doubt the new cars are technical excellence - but was the 348 truly the end of an era?

With the above in mind - i don't think i could bear to part with mine

Is it the last Ferrari that was demanding to drive quickly? Cue Ray!

Discuss
    Last edited by candellara; 17-05-2009 at 08:11 PM.

WillW is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430
    Name

Favourite 348 debate subject

Short answer, yes. Basicly all cars regarding brand get better with new models so straight comparison is pretty much waste of time what comes to 348 vs 355 vs 360, new model is always better. But does it bring you same kind of smile for your face depens totally what you prefer and what you want from ownership. At least 348 was the last Ferrari that home mechanic can work "easily". I don't think it suits well to guys for whom washing car is too difficult (you can even find them here ) but for ones that are brave enought for getting hands dirty sometimes its great car. I love to drive mine and I believe its one of the best sounding cars in this planet. Plus I like "ownership experience" like improving things, fixing things etc actually bit more than actual driving. And when you drive it, you really have to drive it. Its not like driving some German saloon, it will bite your head off if you are not careful but at the same time you really feel what it happening. With modern ones you become numb, they are faster at least on paper but street driving is not racetrack where seconds matter, only thing what matter is how fast it FEELS that you are going.

And what comes to knocking off 348's, most of that is BS. Journalist still write about that although most likely they haven't even driven one. And some dealers say that because thay can't make enough money selling them!! (all work they do makes less for them so newer is better.)

Good example from Porsche world is that first 911 (also 912) models that where short wheel based (64-68) and up until like ten years ago they were always "the ones that didn't handled so well and are not that fast", and were cheap. But now, all those sort of minus points have forgotten and they are very much sought after cars, plus you have to put same money for nice SWB 911 than for 360.

Last edited by WillW; 17-05-2009 at 09:13 PM.

F1RGY is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    F1RGY

Default 348s are the dogs gooli-s

Quote Originally Posted by candellara View Post
    Whilst their are many that would knock the 348, after driving at Dunsfold.....it got me thinking

The 348 was the last of the "primitive" Ferrari's IMO and i've driven most later models. The feeling the car provides on a short circuit is..........fabulous. No electronics whatsoever to nanny you through corners - nothing! Just man and machine.

The feedback that the 348 and older Ferrari's provide is IMO hard to replicate. Following Jos's 308 and watching his car squirm under braking (as the 348 does) and fighting for traction out of tight bends is sensory excellence - this no longer exists?

I fear that the watching of the temps / oil pressure, nursing the car very quickly, the smell of the brakes, clutch in the newer more refined cars - has gone?

No doubt the new cars are technical excellence - but was the 348 truly the end of an era?

With the above in mind - i don't think i could bear to part with mine

Is it the last Ferrari that was demanding to drive quickly? Cue Ray!

Discuss

As most of you know i have owned four 348s raced two of them one was a pucker Challenge car .I am "lucky" enough to own and drive a cocain (hazy) F430 which i love to death and i think would be hard to better ,but i know what Canderella means there is something special about the older cars, the 348 in particular, i know i conkers it but love driving it also ,its chalk and cheese but its great .Cant see me ever selling this one unless i get to old to drive it before some clever dick like Fraccie mentions it
    We make a house into a home, after we have built it to a standard, not to a price! We like stripes on Scuds but NOT rear wings on 348s. We just like FERRARIs

Name
    Justin Kenyon

I agree with all the comments, the 355 and later models thereafter are a friendly ferrari car to drive and thats why they have been become more mass produced as they appeal to the greater market and person of types , but sadely they have lost that ferrari hands on ype feel, go kart type handling like the 348 has and the older ones too, except when you by a challenge, CS or scuderia which are designed for that raw feel in a sense but with electronic aids to stop you looking stupid if you mess up.

I just know with my 348 which turns out just over 400 bhp I need to think, hold on and drive the car, looking at the road surface, road conditions, braking distances, listening to the engine and gearbox etc; where when I drive my BMW 335i I just really only have too sit back and not think as much really as I know the car is new, reliable, with all electronic driver aids etc.

I just know my journey to work ( 1.5 hrs each way) is much more fun in the 348, then the BMW, once arriving at work I feel more wide awake and more alive and just waiting for the day to end to have that drove home again.

Name
    Phil Worrall

I didn't realise there was so much difference between the 348 and the 355!

P

Name
    Andrew

I agree 100% with the comments and sentiments. I would onyl add that Ithink the 355 perhaps falls into the bracket of the last of the cars you cna get your fingers grubby with. At least, that's what I hope as I want to drop the engine out of mine this winter and go to town on it.

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

I drove a 360 on saturday. It is definetly a much more comfortable and easier car to drive than the 348.

Name
    Candellara

No power steering
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Jules

Having owned both a 348 and a Strad, I feel I can add some input to the thread.

Leaving the 348 and jumping into a stock 360 Modena, I was quickly impressed by the power/torque & general build quality. Whilst you get a certain sense of occassion driving the 348, nothing prepares you for the leap in technology and performance, but I do agree with the above sentiments, the 360 is large in comparison, comfortable, quick but lacking in that rawness of the 348. So you sort of get used to this useable everyday Ferrari and sometimes forget it is one!

The 348 sits a lot lower, the dials are great (real retro feel in orange) and you feel every bit of the road. Get the right exhaust and the car comes alive. The gearbox is awful when cold, but when warm, the gear shifts work surprisingly well. I had a stock 348TS, no mods, just a raw experience. Granted, by that stage of my 'Ferrari Ownership' I hadn't experienced track driving, so any comparison to my Strad is based purely on how I believe the car would have performed.

Personally, I never felt at ease with the 348, especially at high speed. I remember once trying my best to keep up with a new 430 spider heading towards the south of France. As the motorway started to turn and bank, the car felt extremely light - that was enough for me. Similar experience a few days later in the wet heading out of Monaco towards Italy. It just didn't feel right and after a few weeks the car found its way up to Nick Cartwrights for a trade in.

Fast forward to a Strad, and you get back to that 'raw' experience. Ferrari have got it right.

I remember my first test drive in a strad, what a sound! I'd been driving my Modena for about 8 months and had forgotten the little 348, but jumping back into the Strad brought me back down to that 'traditional' Ferrari sound & feeling.

On the subject of 'smell of brakes', guages & tyre squeel etc, you still get that with a strad, I guess you get it with any newer Ferrari. Its all down to the driver - surely? Ending every run on Saturday, I could smell the brakes & rubber on my car - nothing changes.

And with electronic aids - a Strad only has ABS (which the 348 has), ASR + Race & Launch Control - okay the electronics will adjust the suspension, but put the car into Race and you're losing an element of traction control. If you want full on drift, then switch off ASR - but that's only for the brave on a track, so I would argue that even the more modern Ferraris like a Strad, technology is still limited when compared to 430's, Scud's, California's, 599's etc

So I would argue that Ferrari have not forgotten the traditional raw feeling of cars like the 328/348, but where possible have found a compromise in cars like the 360 CS.

Name
    Candellara

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Having owned both a 348 and a Strad, I feel I can add some input to the thread.

Leaving the 348 and jumping into a stock 360 Modena, I was quickly impressed by the power/torque & general build quality. Whilst you get a certain sense of occassion driving the 348, nothing prepares you for the leap in technology and performance, but I do agree with the above sentiments, the 360 is large in comparison, comfortable, quick but lacking in that rawness of the 348. So you sort of get used to this useable everyday Ferrari and sometimes forget it is one!

The 348 sits a lot lower, the dials are great (real retro feel in orange) and you feel every bit of the road. Get the right exhaust and the car comes alive. The gearbox is awful when cold, but when warm, the gear shifts work surprisingly well. I had a stock 348TS, no mods, just a raw experience. Granted, by that stage of my 'Ferrari Ownership' I hadn't experienced track driving, so any comparison to my Strad is based purely on how I believe the car would have performed.

Personally, I never felt at ease with the 348, especially at high speed. I remember once trying my best to keep up with a new 430 spider heading towards the south of France. As the motorway started to turn and bank, the car felt extremely light - that was enough for me. Similar experience a few days later in the wet heading out of Monaco towards Italy. It just didn't feel right and after a few weeks the car found its way up to Nick Cartwrights for a trade in.

Fast forward to a Strad, and you get back to that 'raw' experience. Ferrari have got it right.

I remember my first test drive in a strad, what a sound! I'd been driving my Modena for about 8 months and had forgotten the little 348, but jumping back into the Strad brought me back down to that 'traditional' Ferrari sound & feeling.

On the subject of 'smell of brakes', guages & tyre squeel etc, you still get that with a strad, I guess you get it with any newer Ferrari. Its all down to the driver - surely? Ending every run on Saturday, I could smell the brakes & rubber on my car - nothing changes.

And with electronic aids - a Strad only has ABS (which the 348 has), ASR + Race & Launch Control - okay the electronics will adjust the suspension, but put the car into Race and you're losing an element of traction control. If you want full on drift, then switch off ASR - but that's only for the brave on a track, so I would argue that even the more modern Ferraris like a Strad, technology is still limited when compared to 430's, Scud's, California's, 599's etc

So I would argue that Ferrari have not forgotten the traditional raw feeling of cars like the 328/348, but where possible have found a compromise in cars like the 360 CS.
    Synopsis then - if you love the "rawness" of a 348 but want a newer car that still feels raw - best upgrade path would be a Strad. Anything less feels too refined

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast