Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testarossa? Should I? What are they like?

Name
    lamo22xx

Default Testarossa? Should I? What are they like?

After watching a few clips of them on youtube I can't stop thinking how cool they really are. I've been thinking of trading in 911 for something else and I just can't seem to get the "itch" of a testarossa out my head.

Anyway, I've just got a few questions that I hope you lot could answer:
    1) What are they actually like to drive? I know Gordon Murray (Mclaren F1 designer) didn't like them, but, people who have actually driven them, what are they like?
    2) What's the visibility like? My 355s is pretty good, is it similar to that?
    3) How reliable are they? Obviously it wouldn't be a daily driver, but can I actually use it say a few times a week without having to rely on the AA to get me home?
    4) How roomy is the cabin? It looks good enough in photos, but it's always difficult to tell.
    5) Anything else I should know? Any owners or people with Testarossa experience appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Name
    Ton

Hi,

1. Choose a 512TR. That is the best TR you can get. The Testarossa has known issues when driving at high speed. I am sure these have been discussed extensively on this forum. It is a fantastic car, but not the best car Ferrari build.
    2. Visibility is good. Only the rear is very wide when parking.
    3. Definitely a very reliable engine. Great daily driver (except fro the lack of powersteering)
    4. Cabin is spacious. It is a true GT. They are great cars for long fistance driving.

Go drive one and you will know.

Name
    spice

nice write up in this months EVO on the TR

Name
    Ned Schneebly

Quote Originally Posted by lambo_xx View Post
    After watching a few clips of them on youtube I can't stop thinking how cool they really are. I've been thinking of trading in 911 for something else and I just can't seem to get the "itch" of a testarossa out my head.

Anyway, I've just got a few questions that I hope you lot could answer:
    1) What are they actually like to drive? I know Gordon Murray (Mclaren F1 designer) didn't like them, but, people who have actually driven them, what are they like?
    2) What's the visibility like? My 355s is pretty good, is it similar to that?
    3) How reliable are they? Obviously it wouldn't be a daily driver, but can I actually use it say a few times a week without having to rely on the AA to get me home?
    4) How roomy is the cabin? It looks good enough in photos, but it's always difficult to tell.
    5) Anything else I should know? Any owners or people with Testarossa experience appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Hi there, to answer your questions :-

1 - Steering is heavy at low speed. I haven't found the clutch to be that heavy. Due to the size (width) and heavy steering, they're not brilliant to drive around town, really good fun on the open road though - a very good tourer. Don't really know what they are like when pushed hard though as I've never done that.

2 - Visability is fine. I have no issues with this.

3 - I've had mine since for the best part of a year now and have had no real problems. It starts on the button every time and drives well. I have replaced the coolant reservoir (130 Eurspares), but that was done through choice not necessaty. Service history is pretty important, they can be expensive is they go wrong. I bought mine as it had a lot of mechanical work done (9500) not long before I bought it - it shouldn't need any major work for a while (fingers crossed). They are low and with a large overhang at the front end it's very easy to scrape the front spoiler.

4 - The cabins a good size. I'm 6'3" and I fit in fine.

5 - When you wind up the 12 cylinders it sounds mighty fine ! There are meny low mileage examples around, but from what I can gather a garage queen can surprise you with some large bills due to not being used. I though long and hard about buying a low mileage example and eventually opted to but an example that had been used (49k miles) but well looked after. Great luggage storage under the bonnet and behind the seats.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Name
    kyle

i saw one last night in culceth of all places, so much road presence! and sounded stunning!

Name
    clive p

Hi
    I have owned my 89 rosso/nero TR for 2 years and still love it. It is my first Fcar and has not dissappointed, I feel like a kid on christmas morning every time I open the garage door.
    1. The TR is a big car but the width is only ever an issue on narrow country lanes, steering v.heavy but weights up nicely once on the move with lots of feedback. I am not the stig but the car turns in well and have only ever found it to be rock solid, apparently over 150 the front gets light due to the engines high centre of gravity.
    2. Visability is great-have not been in a 355 but would expect it to be similar, A pillars are narrow which is a big bonus-the only blind spot is rear left when turning right at an angled junction, just needs extra care.
    3. On the whole pretty good, however it is the electrics that are the achilles heal of this beast. Let me down 3 or 4 times and would say defo not as reliable as your 355. I would check if the fuse box has been replaced on any you look at as they are a known issue and if you can find one cost 2300 fitted!
    4. Cabin is very roomy, I am 6'2" and no problem, seats also good-3 or 4 hour stretches and no aches and pains.
    5. To sum up-a mega car with one of the finest engines ever made.
    Hope it gives you an idea, any questions just let me know.
    Clive

Name
    Neil

If you can find the budget,get a 512 TR,awesome bit of kit

Name
    Si

Sod yer TR's buy my Testa it's great.

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=31597
    Last edited by barabus; 20-07-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Name
    lamo22xx

Ok thanks for the help so far, just a few more questions.

Firstly what are these issues at High speed?

Also, is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? For example the buttress area on a 355 can be prone to rust, is there anything like that on the Testarossa?

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Roominess wise. I am a tight fit in a 355 of 348 but the Testa has just got that extra bit all round which makes it considerably more comfortable for a big bloke.

Do have a look at Si (Barabus's) car it is a great example and you couldn't do better if you go for a Testarossa rather than a TR or M. I saw it on Sunday and it is immaculate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast