Thread: 308 GTB bare metal respray by Alsa Automotive

Name
    Peter den Biggelaar

Default 308 GTB bare metal respray by Alsa Automotive

Hi all,

I'd like to tell you about my 308 GTB bare metal respray by Al.
    In short: the guy's amazing! The quality of his work is very high and his customer care is outstanding and something rarely experienced these days. And to boot his prices are very, very reasonable!

First of all my apologies that I haven't posted on here. Although I'm a member of three Ferrari chat sites I'm not much of a chatter. Only on the well known international chat site I'm a regular poster and I've had a thread there with updates of the whole respray process with lots of pictures.

The regular e-mails with updates and pictures I received from Al is something very valuable. I'm Dutch and live in the town of Eindhoven, some five hundred miles away from Al's shop. The updates gave me the opertunity to follow the whole process closely without acutally being there. The pictures are also an invaluable part of the car's history now. In the end I received more than 350 pictures!

I've made a short video clip with these pictures that shows the transformation of my car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ-r8AMqCe8

The story of the purchase is in a way determined by Al. About a year ago when I was looking for a 308 I found one in Switzerland. A Swiss friend checked the car out and it was a very nice example. Except it needed a repaint. Checking the prices in The Netherlands for a repaint I quickly realised it wasn't financially viable to buy the Swiss 308. It also wasn't thirty years old yet which would mean very high import tax (29% instead of 6%).

At the end of last year after some disappointing PPIs my local Ferrari dealer suggested to consider the 328 instead of a 308. Conveniently he had one for sale of a nice price. His reputation is very high here so I took his offer seriously.
    Because the 328 is quite a different car I tried to get more information about this tipo. And so I found Marc Collins' thread about his 328 bare metal respray by Al.
    When I saw his fixed prices I nearly fell off my chair! Compared to the prices in The Netherlands it was almost unbelievable how Al could do what he does for the money.

I quickly realised that with Al's prices the Swiss 308 might be a viable choice after all. So I immediately contacted the seller and luckily the car was still there.
    From that point on things went quickly. I bought the car on January 5th. My Swiss friend who inspected the car earlier also has a classic car workshop and does all the work himself on his 308 GT4 Dino. He did a major service before the 308 was transported to The Netherlands.

After registration etcetera I drove the car all the way to Al at the end of March. We agreed I would collect her again just in time for the FOC National Meet & Concours at Boughton House at the end of June.

When I bought the car it was painted Blu Sera, a dark shade of blue. Although there were no signs of any resprays the factory information said it was originally delivered in Blu Dino metallic.
    Sure enough when Al started to sand all the layers away it turned out that it was in fact resprayed twice in its life, going from Blu Dino to Blu Medio and finally Blu Sera. As I really liked the Blu Dino very much the decission was made to bring her back to her original colour.

Besides the paintwork Al also did some other things. There were some rust spots on the lower parts of both doors. Once the car was bare it turned out these were the only spots on the whole car! Al did some excellent rust repair.

He also widened the rear license plate recess. Our latest Dutch registration plates are about an inch wider than the recess. Now the plate fits nicely within the recess.

A previous owner had once replaced the original single exhaust with a quadruple version. A large piece of the rear lower valance was crudely cut out to give room. Al has refabricated the rear valance while still allowing the quadruple exhaust sufficient room.

He also renewed a few seals, the headlights were polished and so on. He also painted the exhaust and had it adjusted so it would fit. All within the fixed price!

When I collected the car at Al's workshop at the end of June I was lost for words when I first saw my 308 again. The colour turned out magnificent and the paintwork was amazing.
    Unfortunately Al had made a small miscalculation on the exhaust and the tips were touching the rear valance slightly. I didn't want to leave again without a car and I really wanted to go to the concours so we decided to see how it would work and find a solution later.

On top of this I managed to suffer some damage to the right rear corner. Luckily the damage was not severe but it was very sad to see especially so shortly after the repaint!

Anyway when I got home I noticed that the exhaust had rubbed off a little bit of paint. I went to a few repair shops to get a quote on both the rear valance and the rear corner damage.
    Al had offered to pay for the repairs but as feared the prices in The Netherlands are much higher so I didn't think it was fair for Al to pay those prices.
    I also didn't have much confindence in the Dutch shops because they were very reluctant about the valance repair.

At this point Al did something amazing: he offered to come over to The Netherlands and do both repairs himself!

As I said earlier the level of customer care by Al is amazing! This guesture really showed that Al takes pride in his work and that he wants hist customers to be completely satisfied.

We looked at the possibilities but there were quite a few cons. Then Al came up with another idea. He would send a good friend of his who owns a classic car trailer service to come over and collect the 308! Al would then be able to perform the repairs at his own workshop and have it transported back to me again. His friend is Clive Paull and he's a total petrol head. He really gave me the feeling that my car would be in good hands during the transport.

The 308 is now back home again and the repairs are outstanding. The valance is repainted and the exhaust now has sufficient clearance. The damage repair on the corner is invisible and smooth. I'm a very happy customer! I can recommend anybody who considers a repaint to go to Al. You won't be disappointed!

Best regards,

Peter den Biggelaar

Name
    Peter den Biggelaar

Here's a few pictures of my car when it was still in Switzerland and painted dark blue. You don't see Ferraris and snow that often!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Name
    Peter den Biggelaar

Here's a cool picture showing the different shades of blue on the car. Al does all the removal of paint and filler by hand. No chemicals!

Name
    Peter den Biggelaar

Here she is totally bare. There were no signs of earlier damage and the spots of rust on the doors were just that. Nothing serious. I'm a lucky guy!

Name
    Peter den Biggelaar

Here are the rust spots on the doors and how Al repaired them.

Name
    Peter den Biggelaar

The recess for the rear license plate made wider.

Name
    Peter den Biggelaar

Collecting her at Al's place and a picture of how she looks in the sun.
    Last edited by bigodino; 09-08-2009 at 10:18 AM.