Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 gt4 resto

Name
    Ross

Default 308 gt4 restoration direction?

Hi,

spent several months looking for a gt4 that "ticked all the boxes", looked at several priced variously from 11k to 20k and decided that the prices reflected the needs of the vendors wallets more than the condition of the cars on offer.

Having failed to find a car i could live with "as is" I went to view a neglected gt4 that hadnt turned a wheel since 1986.. did some totting up (respray, rebuild suspension, exhaust, few other bits, pray drivetrain is min 90%) made an offer and had it delivered to my (as yet still unfinished) workshop

In all honesty i've done little to it yet... got some missing engine bay bits from eurospares (1 manifold, sump plate, few bits n bobs) so if i get a couple of days to devote to it i may be able to get her running .. but thats it. Oh apart from discovering that what had looked like a presentable cream vinyl/cloth interior has been painted... badly ... in white .. so thats a re-trim needed then

what im struggling with is deciding on which way to go with the car, back to original specs including colour/wheels/interior etc .. or go my own way with it..

does originality really matter with a gt4 ?

all opinions on this matter gratefuly received .. ive been going round in circles for weeks now..

btw, the car was originally viola (has been red since the 70's though) and has a decent set of dino style 14" cromodora rims
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by zimm; 04-09-2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: ommission

rmdferrari is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Banned user
    Name
    Richard

Ross. Facinating project, looking forward to regular updates.

As it appears you have a horizontal bonnet badge, I guess it's a 74 to early 76 Series 1 "Dino" you have as opposed to a Series 2 car? Sounds as you have the correct wheels for the car which are 6.5 " wide IIRC?

Oddly mine (78 Series 2) had these wheels and I changed them early on for the chromadora 7.5" x 14" wheels. They fill the arches slightly better. 16" versions of the later wheel were an option at the time and were magnesium. Superformance do reproductions (no magnesium so heaver) for about 800 if you wanted to go up from 14" wheels. Getting tyres for 14" wheels limits you to origional Michelin XWX's at 200+ a corner of Fulda Carat Assuros at about half that. 16" wheels would open up many more tyre options.

I read that 355 type brakes will fit inside 16" wheels too, which sounds appealing if you wanted to head onto a track as the standard brakes are fairly usless. I've fitted Ferodo DS pads and braided steel hoses and it would still be more effective to do a Fred Flinstone through the floor.

As for as origionality is concerned, I'd say "yes, it does matter" even for a GT4. Go for period updates and some bits & bobs like a smaller suede Momo if you want but don't deviate too much. It has surprised me of late at several meetings/shows how many people have made a B-line straight for my car whilst walking past all the other Fiat built newer models. "I love the styling of these" is really becoming quite common place now.

The value of GT4s has risen 30% in my estimations over the last 4 years, so much as they'll never be the same value as a 246 Dino, they are becoming collectable. The Americans go all gooey over a "Dino badged" Euro-spec car so you'd always have a market there for it.

The GT4 is definately a car that dosen't need to be red as some do. Blues/yellow and shades of silver look great.

Name
    Ross

well spotted on the horizontal badge !

yes, its an early car, still dino badged (although some ferrari badging is present as well)

S/N is 08598, which (and i stand to be corrected on this) makes it one of very few 1974 RHD cars (?)

Have considered the 16" wheels, as well as the superformance.co.uk big brake kit, fitted with an adjustable bias valve it looks like it should work well, then again...

choosing a colour is proving the biggest headache, mainly because i dont really care what colour it is.. before finding this one (same day actually lol) i very nearly bought a yellow one with black vinyl interior, and prior to that a yellow with blu/crema interior.. the few silver* ones i've seen look fantastic, it really brings the best out of the shape... and the more i see pics of them in dark blue with tan interiors, the more i think its just SO right. Then there's well, red ... which just seems a little too obvious, but gets the vote of anyone i ask

for originality's sake it ought to be viola*... im not entirely sure i could live with it though (can the original viola even be accurately reproduced with modern paint systems anyway ?) (any pics of gt4's in Viola?)

(*plus there's a chance i'll be doing the paint myself, if thats the case, mettallic's aint going to happen)

once ive decided on an exterior colour, the interior will be easy ... lol, only real decision there is leather or vinyl ? and as the vast majority of the is the labour, it may aswell be leather..

As it's an early twin distributor model, and the whole ignition system will need overhauling anyway, would it be wise to convert to elctronic ignition ? or better to re-con the OE setup and maintain originality ?

other sticking point is bumpers, mine are um ... probably ruined.. the chrome is ok, but the rubber sections have been forcibly removed from the metal backing and are most likely beyond recovery. Whats the general opinion on the grp replica bumpers that are out there ?

will be needing some rear light lenses too ...

rmdferrari is offline Crop rotation in the 14th century was CONSIDERABLY more widespread after John... Banned user
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    well spotted on the horizontal badge !

yes, its an early car, still dino badged (although some ferrari badging is present as well)

S/N is 08598, which (and i stand to be corrected on this) makes it one of very few 1974 RHD cars (?)

Don't have any figures, but I'd guess that is a very early s/n. J Tremlett on here may be able to help?

No idea what "viola" is? Please elaborate? Anyone have an example of this? Dark blue with tan looks very classy indeed, but why not go for a funky 70's colour like Lambo snot green (like on that other Bertone masterpiece, the Muira?)

Early twin distributor cars give a little extra bhp over later cars, perhaps 20 or so, but I doubt any are 255 as quoted... the Italians talked a good output. Electronic ignition would be interesting, Dan (208gt4) has been considering it on his Azzuro GT4, worth a chat.

Don't give up on the bumpers. The brackets that hold the rubber on are located within this and it's the brackets that rust causing the rubber to fall off. Peel back rubber, remove rusty brackets and bond directly to chrome surround.

Rear lenses, try ebay or Douglas Valley breakers.

Name
    Rob

I think they look really nice in yellow

Name
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by rmdferrari View Post
    No idea what "viola" is? Please elaborate? Anyone have an example of this? Dark blue with tan looks very classy indeed, but why not go for a funky 70's colour like Lambo snot green (like on that other Bertone masterpiece, the Muira?) .
    Viola Dino Metallizatto = metallic purple, about as funky as 70's colours get ! (pics attached)

snot green could be fun, but as a Kawasaki nut I've a few green toys lying around as is

Early twin distributor cars give a little extra bhp over later cars, perhaps 20 or so, but I doubt any are 255 as quoted... the Italians talked a good output. Electronic ignition would be interesting, Dan (208gt4) has been considering it on his Azzuro GT4, worth a chat.
    I believe the extra power in the early cars is to do with the cam profiles rather than the ignition, but im open to being corrected on this. I'm toying with the idea of adapting one of the programmable boxes I use on my racebike's in conjunction with modern stick-coils. Only stumbling block is making a suitable rotor and a housing to fit where the forward dizzy normally resides.. but have a mate with a CNC mill who's on the case

Don't give up on the bumpers. The brackets that hold the rubber on are located within this and it's the brackets that rust causing the rubber to fall off. Peel back rubber, remove rusty brackets and bond directly to chrome surround.

nice tip ! thought about it but wasn't sure if it would yield satisfacory results.

Name
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by zoRob View Post
    I think they look really nice in yellow
    agreed !

is that your gt4 in the pic ?

Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    agreed !

is that your gt4 in the pic ?
    No its not, im still a non owner

Name
    Ross

ahh ..

no, weirdly .. I travelled to the H and H auction in buxton specifically to look at that yellow gt4. (ok, and the Argyll GT turbo that was in the same sale)

it was so nice i won the bidding too ... cept it didnt meet the reserve and the all-in price negotiated after the event made it marginally too rich for me considering i'd been offered #08598 that morning.. which i duly viewed and purchased that evening.

Name
    Rob

I just pinched the pic from google images, small world eh?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast