Thread: Smokey 328

Name
    328WYD

Default Smokey 328

Hi All.
    Can anyone give some suggestions to my problem encountered today. Whilst pootling along the M25, I decided to put my phone down and a big cloud of smoke was suddenly visible in the rear view mirror! This seemed to come out of the engine bay rather than the exhaust. After panicking I slowed right down and it was gone - no strange noise, no smell, no loss of power. Carried on my way home for about 10 miles (stupid, I know), checked everything, and all appears to be OK.
    Any ideas???
    Cheers

Ben

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Smoke or Steam? If Steam then the coolant tank caps are known to fail and originals were underated as well, change to the later (1.3 Bar I think)

If it's smoke I had this on my first 328 twice, 1st time it was the Gearbox breather had thrown oil on to the outside of the Exhaust, KHPC modified the breather to come out of the n/s/r wheel well, 2nd time it was the union on the Oil cooler but if it was this I think you'd see as there would be oil everywhere

Name
    328WYD

I thought it might be steam as there was no smell, but having checked the water tank (and the rest of the engine bay), it's all clean with no obivous signs of leaks. The only odd thing I noticed once I'd got the car out of the garage before the drive was water(?) on the floor towards the front of the car? Not sure if this is connected.

Is the gearbox breather pipe in a location that is visible?

Name
    Eugenio

Similar issue for me this summer. I had incorrectly closed the oil cap... Oil everywere and thick smoke.
    Ciao
    Eugenio

Name
    TW

Radiator caps are on back order with Ferrari at the mo, - make sure your existing one is seating correctly - most common cause of a wee on the floor when hot, Valve seals can cause smoke but this is a gradual increase in smoke, - leave car for half hour when hot, then restart the car and see if a cloud appears! - if seals don't replace with Ferrari ones - use MK2 golf gti ones - far better quality! also check dipstick bottom screw where it mounts to the block. Please let us know how you get on!

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by 328WYD View Post
    I thought it might be steam as there was no smell, but having checked the water tank (and the rest of the engine bay), it's all clean with no obivous signs of leaks. The only odd thing I noticed once I'd got the car out of the garage before the drive was water(?) on the floor towards the front of the car? Not sure if this is connected.

Is the gearbox breather pipe in a location that is visible?

Water at the front was probably from the Air Con drain which is normal

I think the gearbox breather is n/s left of the Gearbox below the rear most Distributor

Name
    328WYD

Thanks guys, plenty to think about and try out

Iain is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by 328WYD View Post
    Thanks guys, plenty to think about and try out

Sounds like steam to me.

Could be the beginnings of water pump failure - that's what happened to mine at Dunton last year. Front bank exhaust routes right under where the WP is so when you put your foot down & pressure increases in thethe system, if water escapes from the pump then it ends up on the exhaust & it doesn't take much water to make a lot of steam!

Could also just be a loose hose somewhere that just needs tightening up.

I have a cooling system pressure tester - you are welcome to pop down & borrow it - if there is a problem it will probably find it (!)