Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 355/360 ownership costs vs my 911

Name
    Sean Robinson

Default 355/360 ownership costs vs my 911

Hi, I have recently sold my 911 and am looking to get into a 355/360 within a few months. I am researching the market and reckon on good 355's being in the high 30's. I have my eye on a local one for 40k and providing a PPI comes back OK, what do you think a reasonable opening offer should be? I was thinking about 36K and seeing where it goes from there.

Also, I totalled up my 911 ownership costs and posted them on pistonheads porsche forum for potential buyers to see:

http://www.pistonheads.com/xforums/t...99999&nmt=Sold my pork - here's my 996 ownership costs FYI

How do you think these costs would stack up against running a 355?

Any help is appreciated, cheers.

Name
    Sean Robinson

Forgot to add....I expect that the 355 would have higher running costs, but depreciation would be less, so cost vs 911 may balance out????

Name
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Youngun38 View Post
    Hi, I have recently sold my 911 and am looking to get into a 355/360 within a few months. I am researching the market and reckon on good 355's being in the high 30's. I have my eye on a local one for 40k and providing a PPI comes back OK, what do you think a reasonable opening offer should be? I was thinking about 36K and seeing where it goes from there.

Also, I totalled up my 911 ownership costs and posted them on pistonheads porsche forum for potential buyers to see:

http://www.pistonheads.com/xforums/t...99999&nmt=Sold my pork - here's my 996 ownership costs FYI

How do you think these costs would stack up against running a 355?

Any help is appreciated, cheers.
    If you are happy (sic) to maintain the same level of spending on a 355 as you have on the 996, I'd say your expectations are about right.
    You are also correct in thinking the % of expenditure will reduce on depreciation but potentially increase on maintanance.

You are starting your search in the best way by getting a PPI done.

Welcome by the way

Name
    Lord Adam

Welcome Sean.

If you have approx 6k pa for servicing you should be ok. You may pay a lot less but then you may pay a lot more.

All depends on whether a clutch / belts are due too.

Oh FWIW, some say a 360 is cheaper to run than a 355

Belts on a 360 should be around 600 - 800 supply and fit (easy for the mechanics to do) but a 355 is an engine out jobbie and its a lot more.

Name
    Joe

youd be a fool to get a 355, 360 is the way forward m8

Fraccie is offline Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right Club Member
    Name
    Ade

Quote Originally Posted by jo5eph View Post
    youd be a fool to get a 355, 360 is the way forward m8

Why?
    4052'31.17"N............. 2920'25.48"E

Name
    Joe

too old hat now and too dated to drive. the game has moved on, get an F1 360. All the 'manual' brigade will be fuming but lets face it Ferrari dont make many manuals any more if at all.

dont get me wrong tho a 355 is a must for a collector of ferraris but as a first Ferrari a 360 does the job perfectly. but if it has to be a 355, make sure its a spider, if you can live with the poor roof.

must add that the 355 is also too slow.

Name
    Somewhere Else

Quote Originally Posted by Fraccie View Post
    Why?
    Compared to a 996 it will feel seriously dated I suspect

Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Terry

I think it is rather difficult to estimate the running cost of a 355.

It would depend on so many things:

How it has (is) been used, stored and maintained. If you plan on doing any little jobs yourself or put it into someone to do the all work for you. Where you have the work done. To what standard you wish to keep your car. How many miles you use the car.

Some will say they have not had too many non routine problems and therefore costs have been low whilst some have experienced the opposite.

Trying to quantify the cost is not easy, estimated figures:

Annual routine maintenance - 1k
    Routine maintenance every third year - 3k

Non routine average per year - 1k

One key thing if/when you buy a 355, buy on condition. History, including service history is helpful but not everything. If you find a good car at a price which interests you and it passes a detailed PPI then negotiate if you wish but be prepared to pay the asking price if you think it is worth it.

Choosing the cheapest car to purchase may be the car that costs the most to maintain so lots of factors to consider.

If you wish to share information about the cars you are considering, there are people on here who know a lot about specific cars who may be able to assist.

Good luck with your search and welcome to CS.

Name
    Joe

its not running costs you need to worry about either, its depreciation. my first ferrari cost me 2k in maintenance and servicing and 21k in depreciation.... in one year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast