Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: massa condition thread-

tonyh is offline Bus station dosser Club Member
    Name
    Tony H

Default massa condition thread-

not sure what happened to the other thread here's the latest

BUDAPEST, Hungary -- The neurosurgeon who operated on Felipe Massa said Monday his condition was no longer considered life-threatening, although damage to his eye and other injuries could prevent him from returning to Formula One.

Robert Veres said Massa was in stable condition and remained sedated "to protect his brain," which had experienced some swelling. Massa has been woken up from time to time for tests, and his motor skills seemed to be functioning properly, Veres said.

However, he said Massa would definitely not return to the track this season, and that his long-term future in the sport was in doubt.

"I don't know [if he can return]," Veres said. "It's too early to say anything concerning his future, regarding the race."

Veres was one of three surgeons who operated on Massa's multiple skull fractures Saturday, following his high-speed crash during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix. Massa was struck by a loose part from another car that bounced up and hit him in the helmet, giving him a concussion and sending his car into the protective tire barrier.

Several fragments of bone from the skull had to be removed during the operation, Veres said.

Doctors were particularly concerned about injuries to the 28-year-old Brazilian's left eye, but Veres said they didn't yet "know the quality of this damage."

"We don't know exactly because without operation it's very hard to evaluate function," Veres told reporters from the AEK military hospital, where Ferrari president Luca di Montezemelo was also visiting Monday.

Veres said no more operations were planned at the moment, but couldn't rule out further surgery if his condition deteriorates.

"Anytime can be worse because of the complications, the nature of these injuries," he said. "He has a brain contusion. It's fine now. A focal contusion because of the impact of the metal piece."

Veres remained hopeful that Massa would walk again, as he was slowly recovering his motor skills and responding to doctors requests to move limbs. He remained on a respirator and would be sedated until his condition improved further.

Di Montezemelo said that Ferrari's first priority was Massa's health, but that the Italian team doesn't "want to wait too long" to decide on finding a driving replacement.

"Our first priority is Felipe's recovery, Felipe's progress and so on," said di Montezemelo, who was accompanied by team principal Stefano Domenicali, hospital director general Istvan Szilvasy and chief surgeon Lajos Zsiros. "Felipe's been an important member of the Ferrari family for many years, since he arrived as a kid. We all hope that he can come back soon."

Di Montezemelo said that Domenicali would remain with Massa and his family -- which included pregnant wife Anna Rafaela -- on Tuesday.

"Domenicali has to think and make good proposals for the future," Di Montezemelo said. "We don't want to wait too long for Felipe. First priority now is to find out about Felipe, only at that moment will we take a decision."

Massa will remain in Budapest for at least several days, although he could be moved within a week depending on his progress.

F1's governing body is investigating the crash, which comes amid a string of safety mishaps, including the death of an F2 driver last weekend after he was struck in the head by a loose tire from another car and crashed into a barrier.

No F1 driver has died on the track since Ayrton Senna's crash at Imola 15 years ago. The three-time champion died from head injuries after a violent crash.

Name
    Roger

a great shame, here's hoping he makes a good recovery.

Name
    Mallard

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    a great shame, here's hoping he makes a good recovery.
    +1 one of F1's nice guys.

Name
    Joe

hope he makes a full recoveryand back where he belongs in F1

Name
    Gemm

Quote Originally Posted by F1 JOE View Post
    hope he makes a full recovery and back where he belongs in F1
    +1!

There's a lot of media speculation, concerning his eyes, future in racing etc but I think we should concentrate on his recovery first. I've got info from a source very close to Felipe and what I've heard is more encouraging than what I've read/heard/seen in the media.

Name
    Craig

My fave F1 driver along with Alonso but tbh it saddens me to think that his F1 career is over. Let's face it though after such injuries i don't think he will be allowed to ever race again.

Name
    Tony H

Default confusing info but this is more encouraging

Felipe Massa's condition is continuing to improve as doctors at the ÁEK Hospital in Hungary, where the Brazilian driver is being treated, denied earlier reports of eye damage and instead suggested he could make a full recovery.

Colonel Dr. Lajos Zsíros, the chief surgeon of the Hungarian Defence Forces, told a news conference on Monday that the 28-year-old had been woken from sedation on Monday afternoon, and was unlikely to be sedated again.

"In the last 24 hours some major changes have gone through in the condition of Felipe Massa," said Zsíros. "His condition continues to be stable.

"During the CT-scan we performed we could ascertain that there was an improvement in his condition. We stopped sedation and after that Felipe Massa became capable of making contact."

"So in the afternoon we stopped the artificial ventilation of Felipe. As we speak he is sleepy, but he gives adequate answers to the questions we ask him, and he can move his arms and legs spontaneously."

"Right now he has no fever, and we have removed the drain tube from his wound. Further improvement of his condition can be expected. During the night we do not plan to do any more interventions on him."

Zsíros denied the earlier reports that Massa had injured his left eye which led to speculation about his future participation in Formula 1.

The doctor explained that it was in fact too early to tell if there was any damage because Massa was still unable to open the eye: "we can give no positive neither negative answer to this, because at this stage the vision cannot be examined."

Zsíros made it clear however that a full recovery was still entirely possible for the Brazilian.

"There is no such thing as 'this condition', because every case is different," he pointed out. "Of course it isn't impossible."

When asked when they will be able to determine if Massa has suffered any kind of lasting injury, Zsíros said: "There is no interval which we can define, but I would say it should be from one week to ten days."

He added that Massa would remain in intensive care as long as his condition made that necessary.

Dino Altmann, the Chief Medical Officer of the Brazilian Grand Prix, who also attended the news conference, confirmed Massa was now able to speak.

"He spoke, he wanted to know what happened to him. And he had some questions," Altmann revealed. "I would like to say that the family is very happy with the treatment Felipe is receiving here, and there's no question about transfer at the moment."

Altmann said they haven't asked Massa yet if he was able to remember the accident. He also explained that the operation on Saturday, which doctors described as "life-saving", was performed because of the skull damage, not because of brain swelling.

A spokesman to the ÁEK hospital confirmed Massa's family were already in Budapest, and a room was made available for them so they could stay with him at all times.

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Wishing him a quick and full recovery

Name
    Tony H

Name
    Gemm

Budapest, 28 July 2009 - More good news as far as the condition of Felipe Massa, recovering at Budapest's AEK hospital since 25 July after the accident during the Hungarian GP's qualifying, is concerned.

"His condition is improving quickly and constantly. He is more and more awake and reactive," Dino Altman, his personal doctor, said. "He spoke to several people today, using three different languages, replying always in a coherent way. He's also progressing with his physiotherapy very well. He opened his left eye and confirmed that he can see with it. As far as the near future is concerned we have to be cautious, but I have to say that also today there are very positive signs."

This morning Stefano Domenicali came back to Budapest. "It's good to have comforting news. I spoke to Felipe and it was very emotional for me: he recognised me and I brought him a message from everybody at Ferrari and from the fans all over the world. I told him that his red car will wait for him until he's ready to race again. Now we've got to take it step by step and remain cautious, but it's really incredible to see all of this progress only three days after the accident."

Many messages wishing him well arrived at Felipe and his family over the last hours and several friends came to Budapest to see him. Today Jean Todt and Michelle Yeoh,who met and spoke to the Brazilian driver, arrived in the Hungarian capital.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast