Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prospective Ferrari Owner seeks advice

Arron is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Arron

Default Prospective Ferrari Owner seeks advice

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm a non Ferrari owner on this site, that said I do have good intentions !

Like just about every car nut out there I have of course, 'always dreamed' of owning a Ferrari. I now find myself in the position of being able to spend around 30-35k on such a car and have been considering a 348 of some description.

I'd like to ask a few questions and hopefully someone will be able to furnish me with some answers :

348 - I get the distinct impression they were not the most popular Ferrari - am I wrong? if I'm right then why were they not popular.

Driving experience, I've driven 355 & 360 but not the 348. I realise that there is no PAS on the 348 but does anyone else have any other observations on the 'drivability' of this car ?

What is the best model/variant of the 348 ? I realise the usual rule of thumb applies (i.e. lowest miles, newest car is best) but does anyone else have any other ideas here ?

Dealer or private purchase ?

Would appreciate any other comments or suggestions anyone else may have.

Many thanks

Arron.

Name
    Jules

Welcome to the Forum mate,

348 are excellent cars, so forget all the rubbish about 'unloved Ferrari' etc they're brill. however, here goes , I had a 348 for 18 months, and in hindsight, I really should have thought ahead and spent the extra 5K-10K and started with a 355. You'll be surprised, if you stretch your budget to get a 355 (with help from some of these guys), you would have spent your money more wisely than buying a 348 and continually adding mods to the car (exhaust, alternator upgrade etc).

Right now you can get a sorted 355 GTB for 40K (with some help) That 5K over your budget would reap dividends later. Its easy to look back now, but given your budget, if you're only going for a 348 because of cost and not choice, then stretch your budget, cause an extra 5K will be cheap money

Name
    Si

Quote Originally Posted by Arron
    Hi,

I'm afraid I'm a non Ferrari owner on this site, that said I do have good intentions !

Like just about every car nut out there I have of course, 'always dreamed' of owning a Ferrari. I now find myself in the position of being able to spend around 30-35k on such a car and have been considering a 348 of some description.

I'd like to ask a few questions and hopefully someone will be able to furnish me with some answers :

348 - I get the distinct impression they were not the most popular Ferrari - am I wrong? if I'm right then why were they not popular.

Driving experience, I've driven 355 & 360 but not the 348. I realise that there is no PAS on the 348 but does anyone else have any other observations on the 'drivability' of this car ?

What is the best model/variant of the 348 ? I realise the usual rule of thumb applies (i.e. lowest miles, newest car is best) but does anyone else have any other ideas here ?

Many thanks

Arron.
    Hello Arron and welcome to fcars forum, you will get plenty of advice when theres a few morw 348 owners online, I can't help as I gotta Testa

Name
    Joe

Hi,

Many thanks

Arron.

Hi Arron and Welcome

I agree with Julian but a nice 348 can be found for sale from Dale i believe at yr budget....however its for driving and not just looking at

Name
    Nigel R

Hi Aaron, and welcome. Have you got a figure in mind for annual maintenance? Have you considered a 328, an excellent first F car, but does not have the performance of a 348/355. Should be a lot cheaper to buy, maintain and insure however.

Name
    X

Hi Aaron,

Worth noting you can get proabably get LHD 355 around the 35k mark.

Name
    Arron

Quote Originally Posted by F328GTS
    Hi Aaron, and welcome. Have you got a figure in mind for annual maintenance? Have you considered a 328, an excellent first F car, but does not have the performance of a 348/355. Should be a lot cheaper to buy, maintain and insure however.
    OK, thanks for the comments so far - to respond to the 328 question, I have to say that the styling of the 348 model appeals more to me than the 328 so I guess that is the main thing guiding me - besides looking around the web this evening I can't fail to notice that 328s are getting almost as much money as 348s !

I take on board the first reply regarding budget and spending the extra 5k over my top price. I understand totally what you are saying there mate, thanks for being candid - however, I'm really trying to stay nearer 30k than 35k which means a 355 would be almost 10k more ! Of course this may be a false economy in the long run but, I'm just an ordinary bloke with a good income and as such 35 would be absolute tops.

I looked at the picture of Dale's car - it looks stunning and, if it's still for sale in a month or two (doubtful I think) I would be very interested. I have to say though it looks like a trailer job to me as there doesn't seem to be a mark on it in the engine bay.

I'm guessing a budget of 1500-2000 per annum for maintenance.

Keep 'em comin, I value all the advice.

Thanks

Arron
    Last edited by Arron; 19-03-2006 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Name
    Peter C

Welcome Aaron,

I owned a 348 for 7 years and loved every moment with it. Now I own a 355 and I wish I had initially bought that. You will be able to buy a nice lhd 355 as Kam said for about 35k. Book some test drives and see how you feel with both cars and then decide.

Peter

Name
    Arron

That's a couple of people who have expressed a preference for 355 having owned a 348 - can either expand on this a bit more please ?

Name
    Peter C

That's a couple of people who have expressed a preference for 355 having owned a 348 - can either expand on this a bit more please ?
    From personal experience I spent a hell of a lot money maintaining my 348. The clutch went a couple of times, 3 alternators, heater control panel, window motor and eventually the gearbox. But I did own it for a long time! Also there was no power steering so parking sometimes was a bit of a nightmare. Don't get me wrong I loved the car to bits but the 355 feels more like a daily driver. These are just my own personal expereinces and doesn't reflect on other 348's.

The 348 is a beautiful car but I would recommend you check the car out thoroughly before you purchase one.

Karl Verdi from Verdi Performance is a good guy to speak to and he will be able to help you find a nice one. Actually he has a few for sale at present.

www.verdiferrari.biz

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast