Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel question F430

Name
    John Steele

Default Fuel question F430

Hi guys,

A thread on PH and a recent discussion got me thinking about what fuel should be used in the 430, the manual states use unleaded 95 N.O(anyone know why they say N.O? I've always seen octane rating referred to as RON) and I have followed this for the 12K miles i've done in my car by just using standard unleaded without issue, but I know other owners swear by v-power and won't use anything else saying that these cars need the better fuel. What do other 430 owners do? Notice any difference using higher octane fuel when the manual clearly states to fill with 95?

John.

Name
    Colin

The higher octane fuel is more resistant to detonation/pre ignition and therfore the engine will run slightly more ignition advance via the knock sensor......hence there will be slightly more torque and power but I doubt you'd feel it through the seat of your pants.......
    Last edited by col68; 24-12-2010 at 06:58 AM.

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

I don't notice the difference with my 550. You can't actually get the higher octane stuff in Italy so it isn't as if the cars are designed for it.

Jonathan

Name
    Mark Hannaford

Jonathan, in that case I take it that you would happily go for the Tesco value mince pie rather than the Tesco Finest luxury deep filled mince pie Happy Christmas

Name
    Lord Adam

Quote Originally Posted by jtremlett View Post
    I don't notice the difference with my 550. You can't actually get the higher octane stuff in Italy so it isn't as if the cars are designed for it.

Jonathan
    That's interesting, didnt know that. I would not dream of putting normal stuff in there.

In my 430 I only ever use Shell V Power. In fact I drive past Esso, BP and Tesco and go out of my way to get to a Shell. This is mainly because my 360's engine light came on if I ever used anything else than Shell V Power so Im just sticking to it.

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

Quote Originally Posted by Mark456M View Post
    Jonathan, in that case I take it that you would happily go for the Tesco value mince pie rather than the Tesco Finest luxury deep filled mince pie Happy Christmas
    Neither. I don't like mince pies

When I bought the 550 I was told to use the (even more) expensive stuff and I generally do (never have with the 348). But I don't notice any difference and have seen no evidence that it makes any difference although I'm sure the fuel companies would love you to believe you have to have it. Whilst I wouldn't seek to persuade someone that uses it to change nor would I want to suggest to someone that doesn't that they should.

Jonathan

Name
    Mallard

always use V max. Apart from anything else keeps the engine cleaner

Name
    John Steele

This is interesting, surely though as the manual says use 95 then the car is tuned for 95 therefore higher octane fuel will give no benefit?

John.

Name
    Phil Worrall

I dont know about my car but I feel better after filling with V-Max

Name
    Paul

Default I use 97RON or v-power in 430

Engine sounds much better - less harsh - with v-power. I also think you can feel the performance difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast