Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 360 white powder coming from silencer

Name
    Lee Griffiths

I might get a Nouvalari box and do an autopsy on the stock one. If I do a clean cut in the outer case and get rid of the insulating material the silencer can probably be TIG'd back up.

Lee

Name
    Michael

Had my 360 for 2.5 yrs, exhaust has leaked powder for that time, QV look after the car and say don't worry. Just a bit of a pain as it makes engine bay look scruffy.

Name
    Andy

I had a good look at the second hand one I bought, there were a few cracks in the casing but also the seam welding had gaps, I welded up the cracks and the gaps in the welding, will have to see how it goes now.

Name
    Lee Griffiths

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_360_Modena View Post
    Had my 360 for 2.5 yrs, exhaust has leaked powder for that time, QV look after the car and say don't worry. Just a bit of a pain as it makes engine bay look scruffy.
    So just how bad is the dusting really? I mean how much are you getting and where does it deposit itself ?

Lee

Name
    Lee Griffiths

Quote Originally Posted by Trackdaydude View Post
    I had a good look at the second hand one I bought, there were a few cracks in the casing but also the seam welding had gaps, I welded up the cracks and the gaps in the welding, will have to see how it goes now.
    I also noticed that the outer casing tack welds had all detached themselves, so could do with a re-TIG.

The dust is coming out from the open end of the case near the outlet manifolds so I guess that's another solution - seam weld around the casing - I think they just tack welded at various point because it didn't really need a seam weld, but didn't anticipate the insulating material disintegration.

It just seems a shame to bin a load of perfectly functional silencers based on this issue as I see no reason for them to be rusted through inside - of course no-none seems to quite know what is under the outer casing and I can't find any autopsy pictures.

Lee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123