Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 348 Engine Bay Clean - Phase 1 Complete!

Name
    Reado10

Default 348 Engine Bay Clean - Phase 1 Complete!

Hi All,

Fairly new here, recently purchased my first Ferrari, a '91 348 TS. Car itself is exceptionally clean, but I wan't so happy with the engine bay.

I have spent the last week of evenings in the garage equipt with spanners and lots of elbow grease. I have posted a before and a couple of after shots for you to see. It's more of an initial clean / tidy up and I will improve again come winter time, but for now im really pleased with the results!

Exhaust shields removed, drilled rivets out of brackets, repainted both and re-assembled with new rivets. Airbox removed, repainted (shadows in pictures make it look patchy), new filter, refitted with new fasteners. Air intakes removed, stripped and wrinkle painted red, horses mirror polished, refitted with new gaskets. Throttle bodies removed, stripped and mirror polished by hand (no skin left on fingers to prove...), refitted with new gaskets. All hoses cleaned and treated, all fixings I have come into contact with replaced with stainless steel, engine and gearbox washed down with a mild degreaser (bit ott but worked well giving a lovely natural look to all castings). All insualtion foam removed from engine cover as falling apart, cleaned adhesive off, awaiting replacement to cut and fit. Apart from that, a bit of touching in and lot's of elbow grease!

Next phase will be refinishing the cam/valve covers as the paint was starting to flake. For now, the flaking paint has been removed leaving the base alloy finish all over.

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Reado10; 20-05-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Name
    DON HENSHALL

Very nice

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Nice work Paul! Time very well spent. Satisfaction every time you open the lid!

Name
    Gavin

Personally not a fan of the red plenums, but looks like you've done a good job

Name
    Reado10

Thanks all. Admittedly, red was a gamble on the plenums..At this stage, I don't mind it at all, although I may well end up changing the colour back to either silver or black when I refinish the cam/valve covers as there may be a bit too much red going on by this point!

Name
    Aldous Voice

Looks a lot cleaner but I think you should take the paint off the top edge of the plenums with a razor so it looks more OEM.

Name
    ian

superb !! makes me want to do mine now

is it easy to get plenums off ??

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Reado10 View Post
    Hi All,

Fairly new here, recently purchased my first Ferrari, a '91 348 TS. Car itself is exceptionally clean, but I wan't so happy with the engine bay.

I have spent the last week of evenings in the garage equipt with spanners and lots of elbow grease. I have posted a before and a couple of after shots for you to see. It's more of an initial clean / tidy up and I will improve again come winter time, but for now im really pleased with the results!

Exhaust shields removed, drilled rivets out of brackets, repainted both and re-assembled with new rivets. Airbox removed, repainted (shadows in pictures make it look patchy), new filter, refitted with new fasteners. Air intakes removed, stripped and wrinkle painted red, horses mirror polished, refitted with new gaskets. Throttle bodies removed, stripped and mirror polished by hand (no skin left on fingers to prove...), refitted with new gaskets. All hoses cleaned and treated, all fixings I have come into contact with replaced with stainless steel, engine and gearbox washed down with a mild degreaser (bit ott but worked well giving a lovely natural look to all castings). All insualtion foam removed from engine cover as falling apart, cleaned adhesive off, awaiting replacement to cut and fit. Apart from that, a bit of touching in and lot's of elbow grease!

Next phase will be refinishing the cam/valve covers as the paint was starting to flake. For now, the flaking paint has been removed leaving the base alloy finish all over.

Paul
    Nice work there looks much better.

Is that Duncans old Car ?

Name
    Reado10

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshirelad View Post
    superb !! makes me want to do mine now

is it easy to get plenums off ??
    Thankyou

Not too bad at all really, remove the obvious dome nuts on the top, remove throttle bodies/air intake pipes, couple of breather hoses and the one that catches people out is the nut and lock tab smack bang under the middle of the intakes secured to the butterfly mechanism! Takes a small hand and some patience, but that was the trickiest part! Probably an hour or so work at a leisurely pace!

Name
    Reado10

Quote Originally Posted by PAUL V View Post
    Nice work there looks much better.

Is that Duncans old Car ?
    Thanks! It certainly is! Do you know him well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast